In prison, with periods and no pads: life in a Thai jail

snoop1130

1 hour ago, milesinnz said:

perhaps you need to consider how it is people make choices.. very easy for someone like you who is sitting in some sort of privileged position..

What makes you think my position is privileged, I suspect many just like me have no desire to end up on the wrong side of a cell door and as such avoid breaking any laws that could result in that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last year each female inmate got 12 sanitary pads, 10 times less than the 120. 

The worst enemy of Thailand is their own people. The worst enemy to Thai citizen is .... another Thai citizen! 

It takes no rocket science to work out, how many pads or tampons a woman uses every month, if you can fish in statistical data of 44'000 inmate females - just ask them to start with. Then provide the sanitary equipment rather than money and hope for the best.

There will be still some warden stealing pads and tampons and sell them off through the Pop and Mum shop around the corner - most likely ....... go figure! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They should be treated humanely and provide them the pads.

Just as they should provide Preparation H for the male prisoners.

2 hours ago, quake said:

i had to look that up on google.

some of the ladies get this as well.

not enough roughage in the diet i think

Ah I missed the humor in that one :giggle:

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

With women making up 14% of the prison population, Thailand has one of the world's highest ratio of female inmates.

Most serve two to five years for drug-related crimes

Thailand human rights is abysmal. When will the tourist trips to prison start or was that realized as stupid and buried with the rest of stupid ideas

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Sanitary pads are not a luxury item. They’re an essential. 

Prison isn’t just about punishment - it’s also about reform. It’s kinda hard to reform someone when you dehumanize them. 

Really, according to a quick Google search, this is what I came up with, copy and pasted below.

"In 2015, the recidivism rate of Thai prisoners was 17 percent. In 2016 that rate rose to 25 percent and 33 percent in 2017. Most were imprisoned more than once for drug-related crimes".

I suppose some reform, others don't, could it be the conditions are too good ?

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, jvs said:

Another bad comment imo but to answer you question,no separate room but tv, no snooker,yes on libraries and enough supplies to feel human.

Your entitled to your opinion, as much as I don't agree, jails are not suppose to be hotels with TV's, libraries and supplies to make you feel human, but then again, that must be the reason a lot return for a second bout ?

"In 2015, the recidivism rate of Thai prisoners was 17 percent. In 2016 that rate rose to 25 percent and 33 percent in 2017. Most were imprisoned more than once for drug-related crimes".

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Really, according to a quick Google search, this is what I came up with, copy and pasted below.

I suppose some reform, others don't, could it be the conditions are too good ?

Yes, women being given sanitary pads in prison has obviously given them the impression that prison is a picnic. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Outside of prison was a tampon a luxury they could afford or did they use sponges ?

You still don't get it, Thai girls don't use tampons they preter pads. I have 9 sisters so I know what I'm talking about, 45 years ago tampons where not used in the west as well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Scotland is going to provide tampons and pads free of charge to anyone who needs them, the first nation to do so.

Obviously some official corruption going on, if a prison gets a budget for providing pads, and only delivers a fraction of them, guess where the money goes?

Then men should receive free razor blades as well (obviously not while in prison) .

• Like 1

In the days before "pads"  a piece of  material was used, folded to suit,  after use it was washed and when dry ready for reuse.

None of this takes away from the fact that the "pads" should be readily available in Prison, I am just trying to say there is no need for un-hygenic conditions.

How we have all been spoiled over the years and how quickly we have become reliant on new things. It reminds me of a desperate message on a group site, a guy pleading for toilet rolls, he was of an age to also remember cutting up the newspaper into squares and threading it onto string or wire. How could anyone that age complain, we now have phone books, more paper and a much better quality. slightly off topic, it's the same principle though.

23 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

And to think if they did not break the law and end up in jail they would be at home with loved ones and tampons.

choices choices.

I don't know about Thailand but can tell you for sure that one doesn't have to break the law to end up in jail in America. I very strongly suspect that's true here too. 

Mass judgment is a precarious undertaking. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Do the crime, pay the time, or would you prefer they have a separate room, with TV, snooker tables, libraries etc etc.

Jumping to the other extreme in an argument is seldom persuasive. It usually weakens your stance. 

• Like 1

Thai prisons have come into the news recently for the lack of humanity provided to inmates.

Don't come at me  with lines like "do the crime etc  BS. It is irrelevant. The loss of freedom

and being unable to decide when to sleep, eat, ETC.  Is decided by others is punishment.

We have heard recently about food issues and the question of the budget provided

whether it is sufficient or skimmed.

No common person expects or wants prisons to be homes away from homes, but

things like in this instance [lack of sanitary pads] is degrading.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:11 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Do the crime, pay the time, or would you prefer they have a separate room, with TV, snooker tables, libraries etc etc.

16 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Well at least she got to know how her victims feel. That is a form of rehabilitation.  

Cruel remarks probably made by men who like to dehumanise and dominate women often the reason why European and American men go to Thailand because they can behave in ways that would not be tolerated by women in their own country