VPN a couple of questions.

Golden Triangle

I have recently signed up to a VPN service, Windscribe, to be exact, a couple of questions for those that know, I presume it will still post with my real name and current avatar but with the IP address showing as somewhere other than Thailand, and is it possible to somehow get a friend to look at the IP address and confirm that it corresponds with the info I am seeing, in this case my IP  is somewhere in London, how can they do that ? Do I need to send an email, a message

or what to achieve this, thanks in advance ???? 

34 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Your IP is 217.138.254.76 which gives your location as London WC2 England you are posting on a VPN or Proxy server owned by Venus Business Communications Limited

Thank you sir, I don't need it for nefarious reasons, just like to stay a little anonymous at the moment, thanks Rimmer ????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Your IP is 217.138.254.76 which gives your location as London WC2 England you are posting on a VPN or Proxy server owned by Venus Business Communications Limited

Can we ask you each time we want to verify our IP ????

Just to add to the comments above, the best place to find detailed information about an IP for most casual users is https://whois.domaintools.com or if you want something basic or in in Thailand https://myip.shaw.co.th/th/ noting that with the plethora of IP revealing websites often get it wrong due to relying on different IP database sources. Google have been trying to develop their own country/IP database which a number of websites use, and it's garbage. For example, when I use my Singapore IP space, these websites tell me I'm in Canada, sometimes The Philippines. The Maxmind GeoIP database is the one to use.

Note that in almost all cases, the city location given for an IP can be ignored, it's nearly always wrong. The IP I use right now says I'm in Chiang Rai, but sometimes the same connection says I'm in Songkhla, or Bangkok, or whatever. The only accurate city level information is on USA IP data, most if not all others can only be relied upon for country level geolocation, and even then there are some exceptions, as noted above. Often datacentres will buy IP space from another country and use it in an inappropriate location, why you have to take location information from VPN IPs with a grain of salt.

There was a time when people in the UK couldn't watch the BBC iPlayer if they had a connection from AOL. The ISP were so arrogant they transited the customers through USA IP space, causing the iPlayer to geoblock, even though the customers really were in the UK.

Edited by NilSS
  • Thanks 1