Question about centipedes

Aforek

Hello, I have a question , because I have not found the answer yet

this morning, I raised a flower pot in my garden, and there was a centipede under the pot; I am the only one who comes to this  garden and 10 days ago, I raised the same pot, and nothing under ; so , how could it come here ?  same question, in a kitchen, I found a baby centipede, so I looked if there was a nest somewhere, or an adult, or a hole through which it would have come: nothing, nothing ; same in a bed room 

so, how can they be where I found them ?  it's not "magic", there is an explanation ???? thanks 

• Haha 1

Erm, yes, they walked there, you would be amazed at how tiny a gap they can get through. The same applies to other little critters, the tiniest of openings that would seem impossible, but they do. Sorry the answer wasnt more mystic, but thats it.(IMHO)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is there a hole in the bottom of the flower pot for water drainage? It could be living in the soil in the pot and exit through the drainage hole. I've seen scorpions do that. As for the small ones in the kitchen/bedroom, as the above poster commented, they can squeeze through some very tiny openings, crawl along walls and even upside-down from places you cannot see. You might even carry one in from the garden on your shoe or pant-leg without realizing it.

• Like 2

Only the other day, I'm sitting at my office desk, posting on Thaivisa.

I feel something on my foot, which I think is a fly, so I shake my foot, only to feel the same seconds later.

So I shake my foot for another 3 or 4 times, before I look under the desk, to see an approximate 15cm long centipede running over my foot. Luckily I didn't stung.

You can imagine I was in panic, so I shake it off again and it goes hiding under one of the desk doors.

I live in a western build house, with Upvc windows, and never a door or window is left open.

So how it got there nobody knows.

But I don't think that when you see one there is a nest.

I'm in Thailand 27 years, have encountered many centipedes, never seen a nest

I remember several years ago catching one in my bedroom as well

Edited by Susco

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I live in a western build house, with Upvc windows, and never a door or window is left open.

Yes, that's why I asked the question; no nest, how they can come here ? but we see that they can be everywhere, even in unexpected places ... they even climb walls and be in clothes , shoes etc 

I had a 20cm one climb up the leg of my bed near my feet whilst I was sleeping, feeling something moving over my feet I involuntarily kicked out and got stung / bitten, it was like fire.    In my kicking I killed the centipede.  I was lucky it was the foot end of the bed not the head end.
They move very quickly and can enter the house even under small spaces.

• Like 1

I've had many scorpions get into the house and destroyed a few brooms killing them. Very painful sting.

No centipedes in the house but loads outside.

For an example of how small a space those creatures can get through-

I took the cover off a fan controller in the village house and found a gekko inside all deformed. It had climbed inside when small and grown too large to get out. Survived a long time on the insects it caught.

Most times  centipedes will be found  hiding in places that are a little bit damp such as under plant pots, leaves, or anywhere they  can crawl and stay in the daytime.They will also lay eggs in similar places if it is undisturbed.

Biggest ones I have ever seen exited from a gap between a concrete path and block wall after I started to water blast the concrete. They like damp but they  also drown  quite easily I have found, especially the smaller ones.

Just now, Gumballl said:

perhaps the OP saw something different??):

During my Nakhon Nowhere exile years, the neighbors would bring in truck loads of Jack fruit, in season and process in the back. These little cuties would come over, and squeeze under the back door., on occasion. Nearly stepped on one during a midnight bathroom break. ....................    &*%$ers!

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

They are predators, so are continuously on the hunt looking for prey. Can squeeze through the smallest of gaps. Evil looking things with a nasty bite. Makes me shudder to even think of them.

Even the ones that size don't last long with a determined chicken on each end. Bruiser (our giant rooster) usually bites them in half so both girls get a bit (he really wants it for himself but fails every time).

As mentioned above , millipedes are ok.  Centipedes are nasty .

Chap had a pet millipede , he wanted to take it to the pub to show his mates.  He shouted to the millipede upstairs ' Aren't you ready yet , we haven't got all night '

To which the millipeded said ' hang on , hang on I'm just putting my shoes on '

20 hours ago, Susco said:

Only the other day, I'm sitting at my office desk, posting on Thaivisa.

I feel something on my foot, which I think is a fly, so I shake my foot, only to feel the same seconds later.

So I shake my foot for another 3 or 4 times, before I look under the desk, to see an approximate 15cm long centipede running over my foot. Luckily I didn't stung.

You can imagine I was in panic, so I shake it off again and it goes hiding under one of the desk doors.

I'm in Thailand 27 years, have encountered many centipedes, never seen a nest

I remember several years ago catching one in my bedroom as well

The baby ones can come through the shower drain.

I was bit by one of those centipedes (Thais call them Dhakap). The worst bite I have ever felt. It crawled up my leg. At first it felt like I was being bitten by a bunch of those small red ants. The Thais' tell me that that is a spray (they really called it a pi**). Then it bit, like fire. After an hour I thought it wouldn't be too bad as it began to feel more like a bee sting. It had bit me on the calf, but after a few hours the pain spread to my knee, then it all began to hurt really bad. It lasted about a week, ending with the pain in my foot just behind the toes. The locals told me the bite has brought them to tears.

I think the large brown millipedes are harmless. I read somewhere that they have no eyes and get around by feel.

Edited by bunnydrops
edited deleleted word
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned, the millipedes are harmless to humans.  When they curl up, their bodies are rigid enough to allow you to pick them up and place them somewhere safe (for them) outside.

As for the centipedes, it is one of the few animals that I will kill if it ventures into my house (the other one is blue whales..).  They can move extremely fast, so be careful.

milli.png.20f7757d3070aefe407ab8747c9c402d.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gumballl said:

That's funny!

Now, let's add context to this thread (perhaps the OP saw something different??):

centipede.jpg

I am the OP, as you say, and I know the difference between a centipede and a millipede; millipedes, I have seen very big ones in Africa, I know they are harmless

What I saw was a centipede ( not very big ), there are some around my house, inside and outside

34 minutes ago, simon43 said:

As mentioned, the millipedes are harmless to humans.  When they curl up, their bodies are rigid enough to allow you to pick them up and place them somewhere safe (for them) outside.

As for the centipedes, it is one of the few animals that I will kill if it ventures into my house (the other one is blue whales..).  They can move extremely fast, so be careful.

milli.png.20f7757d3070aefe407ab8747c9c402d.png

I always help them to get to neighbor's garden..

12 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I was bit by one of those centipedes (Thais call them Dhakap). The worst bite I have ever felt. It crawled up my leg. At first it felt like I was being bitten by a bunch of those small red ants. The Thais' tell me that that is a spray (they really called it a pi**). Then it bit, like fire. After an hour I thought it wouldn't be too bad as it began to feel more like a bee sting. It had bit me on the calf, but after a few hours the pain spread to my knee, then it all began to hurt really bad. It lasted about a week, ending with the pain in my foot just behind the toes. The locals told me the bite has brought them to tears.

I think the large brown millipedes are harmless. I read somewhere that they have no eyes and get around by feel.

Your description of the progression in pain is identical to my experience ! I got bit on the  top of my foot. No fun at all !

Millipedes, the round black, slow moving ones that curl up when threatened are harmless and rather cute, you can easily pick them up and gently put them outside.  

Centipedes are the dangerous ones. They are fairly flat and can squeeze through and under almost anything and also move fairly fast.

One way to deter these things from wandering in through the gap at the bottom of the door is to spray the floor, bottom of the door and part way up the door frame with strong bug spray.  

Not the stuff to spray the air for mosquitoes but the stronger stuff that has tube for spraying onto walls and crevices to stop ants and cockroaches, it's also good for mites and ticks and and the like.

This stuff stays effective for many days and by spraying it on the floor across the door entrance any centipede walking in will pick it up on its legs and will kill it.

In recent months I have found 2 dead centipedes on the floor in the house which I put down to the spray round the door killing them on the way in.  :post-4641-1156693976: