Out of Quarantine Next Week - next steps, what forms etc

Hi all,

I arrived last week and was stamped in for 90 days on a Non-O based on marriage. 

When I leave quarantine I'll travel up to our house in Chiang Rai (in my wife's name). Just want to be clear on the process now:

- my wife files a TM30 at the local immigration office (yes eventually can be done online but the first time we will do it in person)

- at the same time I think I have to file a TM28 to inform them of my permanent residence, and won't need to do that again unless that actually changes

- open a bank account with at least 400,000 baht (not needed to show that the funds came from overseas)

- in the last 30 days of my current 90 day permission to stay, apply for a 12 month extension of the Non-O based on marriage

- they will give an "under consideration" stamp of some sort

- I'll then have to return once approved

Is that basically it ?  Of course I'll need to make sure I'm clear on what documentation the Mae Sai office will need for it !!

Can you get a re-entry permit at the same time ?  I will have to do a trip to the UK at some point in the year but much later. Maybe by that time quarantine won't be required, or be shorter... Will probably also have had a Covid 19 vaccination by that point.

I will always have to be in Thailand in the last 30 days prior to expiry to renew again.

thanks guys.

Your plans seem fine. You might ant to wait on the re-entry permit, although you can apply for one at any time to protect your current permission to stay when leaving and returning to Thailand. You can get a re-entry permit at the airport just before leaving Thailand. Of course, if you leave and return, you will need to go through quarantine again.

On 11/27/2020 at 9:05 PM, BritTim said:

Your plans seem fine. You might ant to wait on the re-entry permit, although you can apply for one at any time to protect your current permission to stay when leaving and returning to Thailand. You can get a re-entry permit at the airport just before leaving Thailand. Of course, if you leave and return, you will need to go through quarantine again.

Maybe by that time quarantine will be shorter, or if vaccinated then maybe different rules will apply. Who knows !

You say you can get a re-entry permit at the airport - where exactly and when in the sequence of events ?  Do you do it before check in for example, or at some point after that ?  If I can get it at the immigration office at the same time as I get the extension I might as well do that ?

I'm looking forward to getting out of quarantine in the next few days!

16 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

You say you can get a re-entry permit at the airport - where exactly and when in the sequence of events ?  Do you do it before check in for example, or at some point after that ?

You apply for the re-entry permit after security before the immigration desks Suvarnabhumi and after the desks at Don Muang.

17 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

If I can get it at the immigration office at the same time as I get the extension I might as well do that ?

Yes

That is what I would suggest as the best way to do it.

• 1 month later...

Update - did my TM30 report at Mae Sai office soon after I arrived, nice and easy. I just went in there with my wife with a blank TM30 report and they filled it all in etc. No queue either. They also gave us all the forms for the 12 month extension and explained it to my wife. Very good service indeed.

In terms of the bank funds - I arrived 19th November and am stamped in for 90 days until 16th February 2021. I opened an account as soon as I got out of quarantine and put just over 400k in there on 9th December. So by the time my extension comes the funds will have been there for quite a long time.

I'm wondering though if a retirement extension might be the easiest route. My wife isn't great at form filling and bureaucracy  so it could be an option. But in terms of putting the extra 400k in the bank to top it up to 800k, am I too late for that ?  For the first 12 month extension, how long does it have to have been there ?

Also - in terms of either extension, is it within 30 days of 16th Feb that we need to do it ?

thanks all.

Before deciding on getting the extension based upon retirement you need to consider that the 800 baht has to remain in the bank for 3 months after the day you apply and then 400k baht for the remainder of the year.

The 400k or 800k bank have to be in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

You can apply for either extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day entry and it can be done up to the last day if needed.

Happy to leave 800k in the account permanently if I go that route. Main question was for the first extension if the 2 months rule applies and you say it does,  so I've already missed the boat then for the retirement option - 16th Dec was the date on which 800k had to be in the bank and it wasn't and isn't. Only 400k was in the bank on that date. OK so I'll stick with the original plan for a marriage extension but for the first one I may get a lawyer or agent to assist us. Thanks for your help.

Archived