Vietnamese Driving License

jphasia

Since I have been relocated in Vietnam for my job, arrived here beginning of October, i already got my work permit, trc.

Now, I would like to get a local driving license.

I have read that it is quite easy. You need your passport, visa valid for at least 3 months, and your original country driving license.

I came with a 3 months business visa, got a 2 years work permit and 2 years trc.

One my friend told me he used an agent. He paid 2 millions VND. Gave his passport and original country driving license. He went to the driving license office only 1 time and after a week got his Vietnamese driving license.

Is it the best procedure to do?

I am based in HCMC

• Haha 2

On 11/28/2020 at 6:47 AM, jphasia said:

Since I have been relocated in Vietnam for my job, arrived here beginning of October, i already got my work permit, trc.

Now, I would like to get a local driving license.

I have read that it is quite easy. You need your passport, visa valid for at least 3 months, and your original country driving license.

I came with a 3 months business visa, got a 2 years work permit and 2 years trc.

One my friend told me he used an agent. He paid 2 millions VND. Gave his passport and original country driving license. He went to the driving license office only 1 time and after a week got his Vietnamese driving license.

Is it the best procedure to do?

I am based in HCMC

Do you trust your friend?

16 hours ago, StevieAus said:

No the right,  I think you would have to have a death wish to drive in that country.

Well, not worse than Thailand or Myanmar where I have been driving long time. I am driving here already using my Thai driving license but as I am going to stay here for a while, i will get a local license

8 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Maybe you can ask your employer, since they're the ones who supposedly relocated you there? ????

Actually I did and the friend I mentioned is the CEO of the company. I am just checking out if someone has more experience on that.

I posted on this forum in Vietnam section as I believe this is the purpose of this section. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Salerno said:

Misplaced these by any chance?

B12475__27144.1522714228.1280.1280.jpg?c

Don't think so. I am user of Thaivisa. Live in Thailand for 20+ years.

Relocate at the moment in Vietnam for work so I believe this section has a purpose.

I was relocated in Myanmar before for work also and was using the Myanmar section of Thaivisa and it was useful

8 hours ago, jphasia said:

Don't think so. I am user of Thaivisa. Live in Thailand for 20+ years.

Relocate at the moment in Vietnam for work so I believe this section has a purpose.

I was relocated in Myanmar before for work also and was using the Myanmar section of Thaivisa and it was useful

That's nice for you, but you obviously misunderstood my post.

I was actually backing you up (pretty obvious I thought from the post I made directly prior to the one you quoted) and extracting the urine from the person I quoted (a common trait between Aussies) - the glasses, as perhaps he needs them to see this is in the Vietnam section, the style of glasses (Dame Edna glasses) for calling you possum (as Dame Edna likes to address people).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

That's good. So why not get your license how they suggest. Sounds like a good idea not to run around too much. Good luck.

Good advice. Thanks.

Yes sure, that's probably what i will do but forums on the net are also a good sources to get opinions and advises. I actually got better advises on other forum.

Thanks for your participation anyway.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm surprised that you've been here since October and haven't joined any Facebook Groups. "Vietnam Legal" is a good one and "Expats in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam" You'll find this question appears a lot. The Vietnam section of this site is in its early days so there are limited Vietnam based members at the moment.

Just be aware that Vietnam DO NOT accept Thai D/L as a legal license. You need an International or Viet D/L. I found out the hard way, they will take your bike (mine was hired) and inpound it plus a fine, I think was about 1.4mill dong. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, kuzie57 said:

Just be aware that Vietnam DO NOT accept Thai D/L as a legal license. You need an International or Viet D/L. I found out the hard way, they will take your bike (mine was hired) and inpound it plus a fine, I think was about 1.4mill dong. 

Completely incorrect !!

I just got my 2 year Vietnamese drivers licence using my TRC, Passport and 5 year Thai Drivers Licences. Simply fill out a form provided at the local government office, have your digital photo taken, pay 200,000 vnd and collect the receipt. They will call you in 5 days time to go and collect.

Even though I have a full motorbike licence, they asked if I would ride a bike over 175cc, as apparently it was much easier for them to issue a licence upto 175cc and didn't require senior approval LOL

Note I used my Thai licences because my others have either expired or had less than 2 years remaining and hence the Vietnamese issued licence will only be valid for the lesser of TRC or existing drivers licence expiry.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, QPRFC said:

Completely incorrect !!

I just got my 2 year Vietnamese drivers licence using my TRC, Passport and 5 year Thai Drivers Licences. Simply fill out a form provided at the local government office, have your digital photo taken, pay 200,000 vnd and collect the receipt. They will call you in 5 days time to go and collect.

Even though I have a full motorbike licence, they asked if I would ride a bike over 175cc, as apparently it was much easier for them to issue a licence upto 175cc and didn't require senior approval LOL

Note I used my Thai licences because my others have either expired or had less than 2 years remaining and hence the Vietnamese issued licence will only be valid for the lesser of TRC or existing drivers licence expiry.

I was sharing my experience. I did not say that you could not get a Viet license. Maybe you should reread my post. I stated that they do not accept a Thai license as a valid license to use in Vietnam. I, as my wife thought being part of the Asain group that my Thai license would have surfised.

On 7/8/2021 at 1:22 PM, samjaidee said:

I'm surprised that you've been here since October and haven't joined any Facebook Groups. "Vietnam Legal" is a good one and "Expats in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) Vietnam" You'll find this question appears a lot. The Vietnam section of this site is in its early days so there are limited Vietnam based members at the moment.

I joined some Vietnam groups on FB. As you can see, my original post dated from November. I arrived here in October, had a quarantine and was released end of October...

Actually, since, I already got the Vietnamese Driving License in December as soon as I got the work permit and TRC.

Thanks

On 7/9/2021 at 4:04 PM, kuzie57 said:

Thanks for the tip. Yes, as mentioned earlier, since my original post, I got a Vietnamese DL. So, all sorted out.

On 7/9/2021 at 4:16 PM, QPRFC said:

Completely incorrect !!

Correct. Actually, I did the exact same process once I got my TRC, using my Thai licenses. I got the Vietnamese license for 2 years, same as the validity of my TRC

3 hours ago, jphasia said:

I joined some Vietnam groups on FB. As you can see, my original post dated from November. I arrived here in October, had a quarantine and was released end of October...

Actually, since, I already got the Vietnamese Driving License in December as soon as I got the work permit and TRC.

Thanks

Sorry, it was only after I commented that I saw how long ago you had posted.

• Like 1