Jump to content

MG hopes to electrify Thai market with its new MG EP station wagon


Recommended Posts

MG hopes to electrify Thai market with its new MG EP station wagon

By THE NATION

 

800_0ad68e4190b2301.jpg

 

Automaker MG launched its new electric vehicle, the MG EP station wagon, on Thursday with the aim of penetrating Thailand’s family market.

 

 

Pongsak Lertrudeewattanavong, vice president of MG Sales (Thailand), said even though station wagons are not very popular in Thailand, he believes this model will be more widely accepted.

 

He said the back seats of the EP can be folded to create extra space, plus the model’s new 50.3 kilowatt battery can have the car running for 380 kilometres once fully charged. The MG EP also offers three driving modes, namely normal, eco and sport.

 

Pongsak added that the MG EP is imported under the zero-tax privilege based on the Asean-China free trade agreement. The price of the vehicle will be announced in the 2020 Motor Expo, which will be held at IMPACT Muang Thong Thani from December 2 to 13.

 

MG has been an important player in the Thai electric vehicle (EV) market, launching the MG ZS EV last year, which boosted the brand’s EV market share to over 90 per cent.

 

Pongsak said the EV market in Thailand will expand even though the market size is small. One problem Thai consumers face is the lack of charging stations, especially when travelling long distance.

 

 

MG plans to build 100 charging stations within this year and another 500 in 2021.

 

The British automaker MG, known for its sleek sports cars, was bought by a Chinese company in 2005.

 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398707

 

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-28
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Well done to MG, at least some companies are trying

MG is owned by SAIC Motor Corporation and manufactured in China. The company is a Chinese state-owned enterprise. 

Hardly credit China to make and sell electric MGM, especially with technology for design and manufacture of Telsa electric cars likely being shared with China. 

The point is startup risks for SAIC is not comparable to a private startup company. Backed by the Cinese treasury, there is no "trying."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, rooster59 said:

Pongsak added that the MG EP is imported under the zero-tax privilege based on the Asean-China free trade agreement.

So a nice little arrangement for China, but if you wanted a Tesla... what price?

Link to post
Share on other sites


 

This is a decent review of it in English.
 

In my opinion it looks pretty dated in terms of styling and the interior is pretty dull. However to be honest if the price is under 1 million, with the specs it has, that would be great. Not much available in Thailand to rival it. Really hope they keep bringing in these Chinese EVs. Some like Xpeng are making really high quality cars at amazing prices.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, Srikcir said:

MG is owned by SAIC Motor Corporation and manufactured in China. The company is a Chinese state-owned enterprise. 

Hardly credit China to make and sell electric MGM, especially with technology for design and manufacture of Telsa electric cars likely being shared with China. 

The point is startup risks for SAIC is not comparable to a private startup company. Backed by the Cinese treasury, there is no "trying."

The original MG wasn't all the great either. Seem to recall my 1980 limited edition MGB stalling in the middle of the GW Bridge. So glad there were no cell phones back then. I'd be a spot on the bridge today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, XBroker said:

The original MG wasn't all the great either. Seem to recall my 1980 limited edition MGB stalling in the middle of the GW Bridge. So glad there were no cell phones back then. I'd be a spot on the bridge today.

Are you trashing real MG rides because you stalled yours....🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, transam said:

Are you trashing real MG rides because you stalled yours....🤣

 

I had four MGs in the late 60s and early to mid 70s.

 

A Midget, an MGB and two MGB GTs, three of them bought new.

 

All were very unreliable (I suppose all British cars were then). And they wouldn't have pulled the cap off your head, or the skin off a rice pudding. Performance, my ass!

 

But I have to say I loved them! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nostalgia portrays memories thru rose colored glasses.

Like the much vaunted late 60's 'Muscle cars' Which a four cylinder turbo will blow into the weeds today while returning much much greater fuel economy and longer operating life.

Not to mention the real performance cars which are miles ahead of the bias ply drum braked monsters of old

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...