Pre-flight Covid negative test result and quarantine on arrival

Maybe I'm just slow, or something does not make sense to me. A pre-flight Covid negative test is supposed to mean that you are Covid free...so how come that there are always people that end up being Covid positive while in quarantine? Were they already infected, despite the pre-flight test being negative?

Did they get infected on the plane or during quarantine? But aren't people supposed to be negative since they already tested pre-flight?

Did they catch it after doing the pre-flight test or on route to the airport? If that is the case, what is the point of having done the pre-flight test, since it's not a guarantee.

If at several points in time, there is a chance to be infected, can a person be 100% sure to be Covid free after quarantine?

Not saying that I have a better idea or solution, but I see too many holes in this current process. 

Because the Virus may only show up in a test after 14 days, it usually shows up after 5 days hence the test at this point but some scientists are saying that it might be longer than 14 days for it to show.

So the Pre-Flight test is there to weed out anybody who already has the virus (e.g. may have contracted it 3 weeks before but has no visible symptoms so is unaware) &  the quarantining is there for anybody who may have caught it whilst travelling to Thailand. 

What about we live in a rotten world, where people are liars, cheaters, and scammers, and some do everything for a dollar or two....

So quarantine is good nevermind being tested  before arrivel to Thailand. I applaud myself Thailand to be strict and protect us living here...

glegolo

Thais do not have to get a covid 19 test before traveling.

Non Thais that test positive after entering the country could of gotten a false negative test before starting the trip. The test are not infallible.

I am a little suspicious that some of the people entering from some countries might be showing fake test results as well.

Those that test positive later in quarantine could of gotten infected before leaving the country they traveled from or during their trip.

Not criticizing the pre-testing and quarantine at all...the thing is with all the screening, there is no guarantee that everyone coming out of quarantine is 100% safe...and one person is enough to start the whole cycle again...a lot of people already walking around with no masks or partial cover only...many places no longer enforce temperature checks and check in/out.

Nothing against quarantine, but the pre-flight testing are no guarantee at all. Creates a lot of issues for non-thais that need to return, while thais can return without testing.

Reminds me of all the US citizens having to return in a rush and without screening...and them blaming the Chinese/asians for bringing the virus into the US...

I'd say the answer to your question is a mix of all scenarios mentioned, some caught it after their pre flight test, some were false negative, some corruptly obtained a negative test, some might have got infected in some way during or after the journey from a fellow untested passenger. I think the quarantine seems to have been catching most of it, doesn't seem to be any outbreaks from it, not that we would necessarily know.

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is quite common to test negative in the early stages of COVID infection.

Also, unfortunate for some individuals, false positives can occur in those who had Covid-19 but have subsequently recovered.

Testing for active infection by viruses, including SARS-CoV-2 is simply an inexact science.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

Also, unfortunate for some individuals, false positives can occur in those who had Covid-19 but have subsequently recovered.

Testing for active infection by viruses, including SARS-CoV-2 is simply an inexact science.

As long as governments are able to sell to the populace that it is effective, it will continue. 

6 hours ago, oompie69 said:

As long as governments are able to sell to the populace that it is effective, it will continue. 

In conjunction with other measures, it is helpful. It is just important to recognise the limitations. Too many people seem to believe that it is an infallible guide to those who currently have active infections.

20 hours ago, joe999 said:

A pre-flight Covid negative test is supposed to mean that you are Covid free...so how come that there are always people that end up being Covid positive while in quarantine? Were they already infected, despite the pre-flight test being negative?

The pre-flight test can be up to 72 hours old which offers plenty of time to become infected after the test. One also may doubt the validity of some 3rd world   test result documents. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The pre-flight test can be up to 72 hours old which offers plenty of time to become infected after the test. One also may doubt the validity of some 3rd world   test result documents. 

Correct, once tested there's no isolation, you're free to roam where you want with no control over who you come into contact with.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

....... One also may doubt the validity of some 3rd world   test result documents. 

Having gone through the experience I can agree with you it would be very easy to fake any of the documents, by anyone and everyone. You do not have to show an "original document" at any point of the process, just copies.

In these covid times all documents are emailed then printed. Easy to change anything on them IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Whale said:

You do not have to show an "original document" at any point of the process, just copies.

I think that the airline could want to see the original test document and perhaps the fit to fly certificate. And maybe immigration when your arrive here.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:22 AM, joe999 said:

If that is the case, what is the point of having done the pre-flight test, since it's not a guarantee.

None of the precautions in place provide a 100% guarantee and this is to be expected.  The point of them is to minimise levels of infection and keep them at a manageable level, preventing hospitals etc from being overrun.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Somewhat similar to an HIV .negative test.

Valid until you   come into " contact " with another person ?

As has already been pointed out, Thai nationals don't need a Covid test to return to Thailand.  My wife travelled to the UK on a Finnair, fully socially distanced flight and the crew made regular checks to ensure passengers were wearing masks.

When we arrived at London Heathrow for her return flight I was gobsmacked that the flight was absolutely full. Why Thai's can travel without a Covid test on the same flight as foreigners that have to provide a negative test is beyond me. 

As it happens, a monk on my wife's flight tested positive on arrival in Thailand yet we heard nothing about anyone else getting it.  I refuse to believe that a person can be infected, sit within inches of other people in an enclosed environment for 12 hours and not spread it - Amazing Thailand (again).

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that the airline could want to see the original test document and perhaps the fit to fly certificate. And maybe immigration when your arrive here.

Given the short timelines aren’t most original documents actually emailed attachments from the test laboratory rather than mailed hard copies ? 

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Given that due to the speed required (within 72 hours), many Fit to Fly letters and Covid test results are sent online - many are not originals.

Post above beat me by seconds! 555

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

As has already been pointed out, Thai nationals don't need a Covid test to return to Thailand.  My wife travelled to the UK on a Finnair, fully socially distanced flight and the crew made regular checks to ensure passengers were wearing masks.

When we arrived at London Heathrow for her return flight I was gobsmacked that the flight was absolutely full. Why Thai's can travel without a Covid test on the same flight as foreigners that have to provide a negative test is beyond me. 

As it happens, a monk on my wife's flight tested positive on arrival in Thailand yet we heard nothing about anyone else getting it.  I refuse to believe that a person can be infected, sit within inches of other people in an enclosed environment for 12 hours and not spread it - Amazing Thailand (again).

This is the anachronism but I understand some countries laws prevent denial of a returning citizen even without a test ,which obviously includes Thailand. Airlines however can insist on such a test to allow boarding. 

There isn't a set pattern, there are various strains that behave the same but with different characteristics, also some people have been tested positive then retested and got a negative and vise versa. The air filtering systems on a plane cancels out any one getting infected during flight. Then there's the time line variation to becoming infected.  

Archived