Bathtub Shower Issue

swm59nj

I have an issue with my shower. I live in a condo. Please look at the photos. The water runs down the side of the tub where the bottles are. The water rolls to the back of the tub where the water rolls down to the floor. The water starts moving towards the drain in the floor. But the water does not go into the floor drain. The water stays in a stream on the floor along the outside of the tub. I have to push the water into the drain. Then wipe up the excess water with a rag.

A neighbor told me that water should not be going to the back of the tub onto the floor. He said the floor drain is there in case of a flood or if you wash the floor. Not for the when you normally use the shower.

I do rent the condo. I know the owner should be handling this and I did contact them. They were told the bathroom floor was not installed properly and that is why the water does not go into the drain. And replacing the floor is too expensive. But shouldnt the water not be rolling down to the floor in the first place? Maybe something could be installed along the edge of the tub where the bottles are? To stop it from reaching the back of the tub.

Does anyone have any ideas how this can be remedied?  Except to move lol. Im willing to address the issue myself if not too expensive. Its just Im not too handy with repairs.

Thanks.

IMG-2061.jpg

IMG-2062.jpg

"They were told the bathroom floor was not installed properly and that is why the water does not go into the drain."

This is such a common problem here. Many don't seem to understand or simply don't care that water does not flow to higher areas. Same you find often at the drain pipes of aircons. Whenever you do construction or install an aircon check this before you pay... 

Bath tub. What's a bath tub? Oh one those old fashioned things. I've not had one of those since I left UK in 2006. OK, only fooling with you. ????

Actually I have had this self same problem in the 1st house I ever bought, only it was a little more challenging because having a wooden floor, the water, would seep down into the kitchen! At least in your case the water's not doing any harm.

I did try the @Crossy solution, but the water still managed to run down the end wall and onto the floor. I had to install a shower door similar to the one in the picture to stop it.

Probably a big ask in a rented place, but you might be able to knock up a cheap perspex one to solve the problem. 

folding-bathtub-doors.jpg

Edited by Moonlover

Just an update. I heard from the owner who is western. So no communication problem. He said the water rolling onto the floor is normal. And I should just wipe the area along the wall with a rag. That is all well and good. Except that the area where the bottles are fills with water while the shower is on. Then all this water rolls down to the floor towards the rear of the tub as the shower is on. And its a lot of water. Not just a small amount to wipe with a rag.

I will look into both the shower curtain suggestion and the glass shower screen. I think the screen would solve the issue better. But Im thinking its going to be costly to purchase and have it installed.

Owner also suggested maybe I can take baths instead of showers. 

Sorry for the venting. But Im very annoyed of the owners response. From my previous experience renting in Bangkok. It gives me the impression a lot of the owners have an attitude you pay the rent. But if there are any issues, too bad. 

Edited by swm59nj
add more information

7 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Just an update. I heard from the owner who is western. So no communication problem. He said the water rolling onto the floor is normal. And I should just wipe the area along the wall with a rag. That is all well and good. Except that the area where the bottles are fills with water while the shower is on. Then all this water rolls down to the floor towards the rear of the tub as the shower is on. And its a lot of water. Not just a small amount to wipe with a rag.

I will look into both the shower curtain suggestion and the glass shower screen. I think the screen would solve the issue better. But Im thinking its going to be costly to purchase and have it installed.

Sorry for the venting. But Im very annoyed of the owners response. From my previous experience renting in Bangkok. It gives me the impression a lot of the owners have an attitude you pay the rent. But if there are any issues, too bad. 

Installing a glass screen will not solve the problem, it will only result in more water pooling. along the back of the tub. Crossy's suggestion was a good one for a rental you're stuck in. You could also lay a piece of molding along the back of the tub and caulk it in such that the water drains into the tub.

If I had a landlord that told me to just wipe the floor and wall with a rag, to take bathes instead of showers, they would never see another nickel of my money. I would immediately start looking for a new place and i would quite paying the rent until I found one, 

Instead of a cabin or other expensive measures put there a cheap plastic board tilted in a way that the water flows into the bathtub. You often find such things where school kids buy their stuff for the school. But perhaps too in markets like Homepro. If you use a sticky tape to fix it on the tiles remove it from time to time. Clean the areas before you use a new one. Just that you don't leave lasting damage at these tiles. Looks like a kind of stone (marble?) to me. 

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

My contractor did exactly the same as your condo builder. But I caught him in the act and made him raise the level of the tiles so that the water would drain back into the tub. But I put my shower at the base of the tub so that will never be an issue for me. I made sure that the slope of the floor went toward the floor drain so there would be no standing water after use. There is also a PVC floor drain that prevents odors from coming back up the drain. I think this solution will be the cheaper option but someone needs to be their to watch and supervise this kind of job. Thais are not that familiar with installing bath tubes because very few Thai people have them in their homes.

20201128_131606.jpg

20201128_131556.jpg

4 hours ago, thaisail said:

My contractor did exactly the same as your condo builder. But I caught him in the act and made him raise the level of the tiles so that the water would drain back into the tub. But I put my shower at the base of the tub so that will never be an issue for me. I made sure that the slope of the floor went toward the floor drain so there would be no standing water after use. There is also a PVC floor drain that prevents odors from coming back up the drain. I think this solution will be the cheaper option but someone needs to be their to watch and supervise this kind of job. Thais are not that familiar with installing bath tubes because very few Thai people have them in their homes.

20201128_131606.jpg

20201128_131556.jpg

I had a contractor come to me about an hour ago. He was Thai and spoke good english so we could communicate. He didnt charge me. He said basically the same things you are saying. He said the type of bathtub is not correct because it is not flush with the tile. He said he would not have installed a tub with a lip around it. He also said if this type of tub was installed he would have installed more tile so it would be flush with the tub so water can go back into the tub. But  he said even if the tile was raised. He would be concerned with the raised portion of the back of the tub causing as issue.

Well I know the owner is not going to raise the tile or replace the tub. And as a renter im not paying to remedy his mistakes. I have six months remaining on my contract. If I move Im guessing Im going to lose my two months deposit. Im going to have decide what to do.

Edited by swm59nj
add more information

12 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Im going to have decide what to do.

Take a bath instead of a shower   or if you still want the shower then install shower curtains that direct the spillover water into the bath   3rd option  just carry on as is  because its not your property/problem ... yes very selfish ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1