Plans to open Thailand further to tourism - 40,000 foreign returnees have arrived since July

rooster59

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that the three most prevalent categories for these were 1) Work permit holders or those with a right to work and those married or with children 2) spouses or children of Thais and 3) School or college students and their parents.

So not tourism then?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thaifly88 said:

Yes, you would have been the equivalent of 5 tourists according to the statistics, but this type of travel is not typical, so what’s your point ?

False statistics is my point. 

21 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

Depends. If someone is asymptomatic, there is very little to do. But i'm sure they are still rinising that 100,000 US DOLLAR INSURANCE. 

Of course i have nothing to back up this claim, haha

If anyone, except a Thai, bought their insurance from a company that does not pay out for the first 14 days, I would think they are going to be

charged for hospital treatment etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Traubert said:

The prices are set before you book in, some high, some low.

That lets out the dual pricing argument as far as ASQ is concerned. Who ended up in hospital?

"Who ended up in hospital?" Probably the non Thais who were insured with a company who do not pay out for the first 14 days.

13 hours ago, Raphus said:

Last year I entered and left via transit staying in Bangkok 3 times. Does that make me 6 tourists ?

Also it seems desperation is starting to take hold in the government and they are pushing to open Thailand. Money is running out fast ....

Not where the unelected "governments" pockets are concerned.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

Out of the 40,000 that have returned - how many tested positive in quarantine ? The hospitals are making some big money. 

The many private hospitals aren’t making any money. My best friend here is Vice President of international marketing at a prominent bkk hospital. A third of the hospital staff has been furloughed and most of the rest have had pay cuts. Many countries are still outright banned from traveling here and anyone with any common sense would understand the extreme difficulty of someone who is coming here because they already have a health problem jumping through all the hoops required to come here. In addition spending 2 weeks in quarantine means an additional delay in your treatment and added expenses your insurance will not cover.

• Confused 1

Thailand has been a victim of its own success by limiting the number of Covid infections however it seems that it has only been able to acquire a limited amount of Covid vaccines which according press reports will take a year or so to administer leaving the majority of the population unvaccinated

My question is seeing limited amount of infections so far and limited vaccination programme if borders reopened without sufficient herd immunity will Thailand be exposed to a large risk of a resurgance of Covid. If so the same risks will also apply to China on a very much larger scale.

41 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

The many private hospitals aren’t making any money. My best friend here is Vice President of international marketing at a prominent bkk hospital. A third of the hospital staff has been furloughed and most of the rest have had pay cuts. Many countries are still outright banned from traveling here and anyone with any common sense would understand the extreme difficulty of someone who is coming here because they already have a health problem jumping through all the hoops required to come here. In addition spending 2 weeks in quarantine means an additional delay in your treatment and added expenses your insurance will not cover.

If you have a patient turning up with a 100,00 USD insurance covered - and the law requires he is adminstered to your care - you will damn make sure there will be little change out of that 100,000 ????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dialemco said:

Thailand has been a victim of its own success by limiting the number of Covid infections however it seems that it has only been able to acquire a limited amount of Covid vaccines which according press reports will take a year or so to administer leaving the majority of the population unvaccinated

My question is seeing limited amount of infections so far and limited vaccination programme if borders reopened without sufficient herd immunity will Thailand be exposed to a large risk of a resurgance of Covid. If so the same risks will also apply to China on a very much larger scale.

They've had no failure at all. 

The alternative is the pandemic taking hold like it has been in India, Europe, USA, South America - and a horrendous health situation. Even if they opened up during a horrific pandemic, you would see very few tourists. 

Any income from tourism, would be dwarfed by the massive health crisis that the people of Thailand would face. 

Edited by AmySeeker
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Out of the 40,000 that have returned - how many tested positive in quarantine ? The hospitals are making some big money. 

SInce May 8, total + test = 3000, today 3966, soooooo 966. Most in quarantine, I think. Most Thais, so how much is hospital making?

May 8th , 161 active cases, today 94. Mostly Thais.  98.44% recovery. 

What are you taking about?

i just read that delta airlines is working with air italia ,    so that you will be tested before you fly and you can go to italy with no quarantine.  thailand take notice!  high season coming and thai govt. has no answer to help the businesses that depend on tourism.   they cant make it another season without money

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i just read that delta airlines is working with air italia ,    so that you will be tested before you fly and you can go to italy with no quarantine.  thailand take notice!  high season coming and thai govt. has no answer to help the businesses that depend on tourism.   they cant make it another season without money

That's nonsense. Because you can have the virus up to 5 days before you start showing symptoms and appears on a PCR test. So a test on departure or arrival, may catch some cases - it's not effective if you are going for a zero case approach. 

If they do what you suggest, and let some people in with the virus, it quickly spreads. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AmySeeker said:

They've had no failure at all. 

The alternative is the pandemic taking hold like it has been in India, Europe, USA, South America - and a horrendous health situation. Even if they opened up during a horrific pandemic, you would see very few tourists. 

Any income from tourism, would be dwarfed by the massive health crisis that the people of Thailand would face. 

So Thailand's borders will need to be closed for many years to come. If so one winner nature will thrive 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, AmySeeker said:

Very very few test positive in quarantine, under 1%. However every day there are returnees testing positive on arrival which is not the same thing.

5 minutes ago, jimn said:

People are coming in now on a normal tourist visa, I dont know why they are still pushing this Special Tourist Visa thing

What regular tourist Visa's are you alluding to?  No one is arriving on Visa Exempt 30 day entries, or VOA entries.  Those arriving meet the requirements that Thailand has put in place.  No regular tourists are arriving unless they are on the STV.  Many have returned who have Visa's based upon marriage, an extension of stay for marriage/family, an Retirement Visa, or an extension of stay based upon retirement.  Others have returned who have work permits and jobs here.  As far as a regular tourist visa I have not seen where the government has opened the doors back up for regular tourism as of yet.

• Confused 1

Il y a 12 minutes, ThailandRyan a dit:

À quels visas touristiques réguliers faites-vous allusion? Personne n'arrive avec des entrées Visa Exempt 30 jours ou des entrées VOA. Ceux qui satisfont aux exigences que la Thaïlande a mis en place. Aucun touriste régulier n'arrive à moins d'être sur le STV. Beaucoup sont rentrés avec un visa basé sur le mariage, une prolongation du séjour pour mariage / famille, un visa de retraite ou une prolongation du séjour basé sur la retraite. D'autres sont revenus qui ont des permis de travail et des emplois ici. En ce qui concerne un visa de tourisme régulier, je n'ai pas encore vu où le gouvernement a ouvert les portes du tourisme régulier pour le moment.

Rien de nouveau ...image.png.997c2e40b9408c49ac9de34f11ae32ee.png

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/mkKfL2iULZ/Press_Conference_27-11-2020/2563-11-27_แถลงข่าว_กต_Final.pdf

Edited by SPREX
up date
  • Thanks 1

Il y a 2 heures, jimn a dit:

Très très peu de tests positifs en quarantaine, moins de 1%. Cependant, chaque jour, des rapatriés sont testés positifs à l'arrivée, ce qui n'est pas la même chose.

29/11/2020 14H PM -----> 1015 positif en ASQ 25,5% du total national 3977 !!! 

pour les experts ...

image.png.a9fd8c5384069faf2bbacb4d0b578e90.png

Edited by SPREX
up date

19 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Almost everything you have written is incorrect. 

If you think Thailand has been successful limiting the virus here because they report low numbers of infections, I ask you to think about more carefully. If they do not test, how do they know how many infections there are? Thailand has among the lowest testing rates in the world. 

Also, there is no herd immunity. If has been seen all over the world that a person can get the same strain of the virus even after building some antibodies from a previous infection. The antibodies last only a short time.

13 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
13 hours ago, jimn said:

People are coming in now on a normal tourist visa, I dont know why they are still pushing this Special Tourist Visa thing

What regular tourist Visa's are you alluding to?  No one is arriving on Visa Exempt 30 day entries, or VOA entries.  Those arriving meet the requirements that Thailand has put in place.  No regular tourists are arriving unless they are on the STV.  Many have returned who have Visa's based upon marriage, an extension of stay for marriage/family, an Retirement Visa, or an extension of stay based upon retirement.  Others have returned who have work permits and jobs here.  As far as a regular tourist visa I have not seen where the government has opened the doors back up for regular tourism as of yet.

He is referring to regular 60-day TR single entry tourist visas, which are now available to nationals of all countries. As with the STV, it's unlikely that any of the people applying for these visas are actually "tourists", but nonetheless the visa category does indeed exist and is being used - a friend of mine just received one last week.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:41 PM, AmySeeker said:

That's nonsense. Because you can have the virus up to 5 days before you start showing symptoms and appears on a PCR test. So a test on departure or arrival, may catch some cases - it's not effective if you are going for a zero case approach. 

If they do what you suggest, and let some people in with the virus, it quickly spreads. 

NONSENCE? or being progressive.

• 1 month later...

Tourists flocking in??

Has anyone in TAT even thought of the cos of becoming a tourist to Thailand??

Even if you qualify, it will cost about £2000 on top of 'normal' holiday costs for medical insurance and ASQ, so plenty of dis-incentive there.

If you were thinking of chartering a private jet, as TAT have suggested...

Brief search on the net suggests that this might cost $1000 per person per hour of flight, plus landing fees and return flight.  Possibly $20,000 from UK or US. 

TAT are not living in the real world.

Posts containing unattributed content that was copy and pasted from some sites without supporting links have been removed.

Posts using foreign language have been removed:

English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translation of technical terms is permitted in specialty forums.

A post containing content in violation of the following forum rule has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.