21st floor condo low water pressure issue...need advice

WaveHunter

I just moved into a 21st floor condo with very low water pressure.  I’m only renting for 9 months so I’m only looking for a economical DIY solution.  My only issue is with boosting water pressure for the shower; pressure for faucets and toilet are ok.

the condo has two water heaters; one for the kitchen sink (located underneath sink), and another in the bathroom for bathroom sink and shower.

Is it possible to get a simple “booster” pump to attach to bathroom water heater inlet from Lazada, that I can simply install myself?  I see a lot of listings for these type of pumps on Lazada and AliExpress, but the product descriptions and buyer feedback are mostly written in Thai and the Lazada site does not auto-translate so I don’t have a clue which ones might be effective for my needs.

Can anyone provide product recommendations?  I asked the maintenance staff at the condo for advice and they could offer none.

Id really appreciate advice because I’m one of those people that really hate starting the day with a weak shower LOL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, 4reaL said:

You can add a small pump to the direct water line to into the condo = for 9 months it may be a worthwhile investment for you comfort.

HomePro etc. has this type of mini pump that need electric power and then find someone to install it by cutting the blue PVC pipe and attaching it.

The supply/output lines for the water heater are my only access to water supply and they use metal braided lines with screw-in connectors, so any mini-pump I get would have to connect this way.  Any suggestions?

3B823BAC-8001-4B55-B974-30918864C6D1.jpeg

1D0F540B-CD32-4355-9491-8F287C24087A.jpeg

• Like 1

TaLked with the Juristic Person of the condo and she said that a water pump could make the pipes in the wall burst!

She showed me the pipes outside my condo in the hallway and they look very old and not in the best shape, but I find it hard to believe a small booster pump could do that.  What do you guys think?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

TaLked with the Juristic Person of the condo and she said that a water pump could make the pipes in the wall burst!

She showed me the pipes outside my condo in the hallway and they look very old and not in the best shape, but I find it hard to believe a small booster pump could do that.  What do you guys think?

I think it would be illegal without OK of Condo and if you can not move suspect post above about using water saving showers that act to give a stronger spray with less water might be safe option.  And yes indeed many people run into issues when they apply higher pressure in home plumbing here.  At the most would not do anything other than use point of use shower with built in water pump (which as noted have not be openly sold here for many years).  Can you perhaps switch to another condo unit?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Perhaps the simplest and cheapest solution is to buy a shower head with very tiny holes. (Many are available on Lazada) Forcing water through a smaller hole will always increase the pressure. Think about what happens when you put your thumb over the end of a hose pipe. 

s-l640.png

In much the same way that turning the water off will increase the pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Oldie said:

That you will be responsible if a pipe bursts. 

Yes I think you're right about that..the "mistake" was asking the Juristic Person  now if anything goes wrong with the water pipes  who's the first suspect  ???  ????   of course there are

Juristic Person's  who are reasonable,honest and fair  I'm not suggesting the OP's isn't  but you don't know until you know !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In much the same way that turning the water off will increase the pressure. 

Would you like me to give you another analogy as to why forcing water through a smaller space increases pressure?

Picture this, a slow, meandering river suddenly flows through a narrow rocky gorge. What happens? any guesses? No? Okay, I will enlighten you. You get rapids. This is because the same amount of water is now being forced through a smaller space. The exact same principal applies to shower heads. The smaller the holes, the more the pressure increases. Like it or not, that is a scientific fact. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Would you like me to give you another analogy as to why forcing water through a smaller space increases pressure?

Picture this, a slow, meandering river suddenly flows through a narrow rocky gorge. What happens? any guesses? No? Okay, I will enlighten you. You get rapids. This is because the same amount of water is now being forced through a smaller space. The exact same principal applies to shower heads. The smaller the holes, the more the pressure increases. Like it or not, that is a scientific fact. 

Clearly you're not an engineer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Good advice!  I just took the aerator off the bathroom sink and it was loaded with gritty crud!  Same with the shower!  It’s improved maybe 25%.  

Still probably need a pump but that’s a big improvement so thanks for suggestion ???? 

Don't forget the shower unit inlet pipe as it joins the unit, as inside the screw fitting/just inside the unit, there is also a small filter and this can also cause problems.

• Like 1