Video: Pattaya goes up with a bang! "Beautiful" fireworks festival attracts big crowds

rooster59

Video: Pattaya goes up with a bang! "Beautiful" fireworks festival attracts big crowds

127517808_3747832205237686_6901484639568405150_n.jpg

Image: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV reported that the Light is Life Pattaya Fireworks Festival that kicked off in the resort last night attracted big crowds to the beach. 

Most people online said it was beautiful but one or two mentioned mask wearing as an issue.

Deputy governor of Chonburi Wiwat Mahaphonsirikun officiated at the opening at 7.30pm with Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunpluem outlining the objectives of the event.

The media reported that the event has been held every year since 2011 and is now a major event in TAT's "Tourism Destination" calendar for Thai and foreign tourists. 

This year the foreigners were those living in Thailand rather than visitors, however.

Beach road was closed as the throngs packed the beach. 

A video on "We Love Pattaya" garnered many comments. 

One woman said around midnight it was "most impressive, but we're still stuck in the car park!"

Most said it was "suay" or beautiful but Simona Esposito writing in Thai was a bit of a damp squib. They said it was nothing special and like a temple fair.

The odd poster said that the lack of widespread mask wearing was "scary".

The festival continues tonight (Saturday) with more bands and more fireworks showcasing the skills of Thai pyrotechnics.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-28

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Sophon Cable TV reported that the Light is Life Pattaya Fireworks Festival that kicked off in the resort last night attracted big crowds to the beach. 

Most people online said it was beautiful but one or two mentioned mask wearing as an issue.

Makes me wonder if it was hundreds, or perhaps fifty 'socially distanced' onlookers - making the crown appear larger due to being spread out?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

nothing special and like a temple fair

They go to a better class of temple than I do judging from the video - well done Pattaya

Yes I thought the comment was far from reality..... the show was what one sees in many capitals on NYE. The failing, was handling traffic... the usual mess, but I stayed over in a hotel.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

One woman said around midnight it was "most impressive, but we're still stuck in the car park!"

after someone superglued the tyres to the carpark .. 

Simona Esposito

Sounds like an extra in a Spaghetti Western .. 

was a bit of a damp squib.

Not to confused with squid .. which are also abit damp but that's where the similarity ends .. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Makes me wonder if it was hundreds, or perhaps fifty 'socially distanced' onlookers - making the crown appear larger due to being spread out?

Hundreds or fifty doesn't really matter, good to see something going on and those that wish to view it can enjoy themselves.

Well, I watched the first session, which was an hour late in starting.  Didn't bother waiting for the rest. 

The fireworks were OK, but why can't the organisers stick to the published schedule?

"Oh look, it's 19:20, push the button." is that so hard? 

1 hour ago, DefaultName said:

Well, I watched the first session, which was an hour late in starting.  Didn't bother waiting for the rest. 

The fireworks were OK, but why can't the organisers stick to the published schedule?

Maybe waiting for wind conditions to be OK, or 19:20 was the time they turned up for work.

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

I doubt it because it would be factually incorrect as anyone that was there knows. 

It would be factually correct that the attendance numbers of foreigners were down, because there is simply no foreign tourists.  

22 hours ago, DefaultName said:

It's Thailand, things are always late.... crikey even Challenger missions were sometime late.