Bangkok’s popularity amongst expats continues to fall: survey

rooster59

6 hours ago, balo said:

Who decides that Valencia are number 1 of all the cities for expats ? I have lived in Europe more than 30 years, never even considered Valencia.  

From what i know Its the expats themselves doing the voting and rating the place where they are staying.

22 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Pre 2006 Thailand was a great place to live and holiday in and definitely the jewel of asia but greed and the military just couldn't help themselves. Attitudes definitely changed towards expats and this last lot have totally destroyed what little was left. However there are still many deluded expats or They have just invested to much to admit they made a mistake. What once was will never be the same again.

For myself and the people I know it still beats the alternatives. 

But I am always open to new ideas, where do you feel would be better.?

My house in the UK is about 20-25 miles from London along the river Thames. Bangkok is very much like London to me - dirty, grey, rude, smelly, too busy  - it's a great place to visit but again like London - you're always glad when you're coming out of it - but unlike London these days you don't need to leave before 6 pm !

• Like 1

I lived in Amsterdam for over a year that was great but expensive every nationality in the world lives there, I miss going to Fun4Two at the weekends,

I lived in Bangkok for 3 years then moved to Phuket 20 years ago, now I can only stand BKK for 4 to 5 days then I want to come home 

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, rooster59 said:

Both Valencia and Alicante - which was described as a retirees dream destination - both scored highly amongst financially conscious expats.

I am going to look into these countries after the pandemic. Thailand has become an unselfish place to live.  This pandemic has shown it true color toward expats.  I never took a survey 

If I can find a country that accept expats with open arms, has beaches, golf courses, a good health care system, great nightlife and I can buy a home without having to go thru the hoops and spending my life saving, I would and will move. 

I thought Thailand would be the place but it’s not as friendly as it use to be.  

1 minute ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

I am going to look into these countries after the pandemic. Thailand has become an unselfish place to live.  This pandemic has shown it true color toward expats.  I never took a survey 

If I can find a country that accept expats with open arms, has beaches, golf courses, a good health care system, great nightlife and I can buy a home without having to go thru the hoops and spending my life saving, I would and will move. 

I thought Thailand would be the place but it’s not as friendly as it use to be.  

as a start look at Portugal and Spain. Portugal may be less expensive then Spain,  some people from TV moved there last here, they bought house with land at a very good price, the south or Algarve area has great golf courts, lots of foreigners maybe a little more expensive as they are tourist cities, heard health system is great, majority of people speak English... Grece maybe but don't know much about golf there. Alicante and Benidorm are very nice places, smaller then Valencia, worth a look as foreigners are welcome in Spain as well, maybe different health system then Portugal .... good luck

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 8:51 PM, Scot123 said:

Pre 2006 Thailand was a great place to live and holiday in and definitely the jewel of asia but greed and the military just couldn't help themselves. Attitudes definitely changed towards expats and this last lot have totally destroyed what little was left. However there are still many deluded expats or They have just invested to much to admit they made a mistake. What once was will never be the same again.

Agree..things started to really change after the Yellow/Red shirt troubles.Then the army military  elected junta prime minister whose draconian rules and laws have sucked the life out of what was so unique about the country.I know nothing stays the same but going for a drink to Texas on Washington Square..listening to the stories from the old ex CIA operatives.Lobbing into Soi 7/1 on Suk when the place used to be good..and calling in the Down Under bar and Big Jamies Paris Blue bar next door where you'd meet some amazing ex-pats.Then of course Soi 5/1 where the seafood restaurant area was opposite the Beer Garden which was heaving with people.The street bars that opened at midnight all the way along Sukhumvit..the ones now aren't a patch on what we had then!

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 2:34 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

I’m wondering what career opportunities people expect who don’t speak the local language and whose salary requirements probably are well above those of locals.  

All i can say is that wellmpaid jobs were much thicker on the ground 15-20 years ago.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

All i can say is that wellmpaid jobs were much thicker on the ground 15-20 years ago.

In order to compare apples with apples: was that for jobs that could be performed (maybe even better) by a local? Or was that for jobs requiring specific expertise or experience that’s scarce locally? You can still get well paid jobs here if you’re in demand. 

On 11/28/2020 at 11:40 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

I have to agree with Scot123. Being an old hand here i can honestly say that Thailand has given me some of the best laughs and times in the last thirty years, unfortunately i can say that the rot set in around 2006, was filled up in 2014 and now the decay has spread so far that the only solution is EXTRACTION ! 

I'm sorry for the Johnny come latelys because they'll never know how good Bkk and Thailand used to be......  There'll never be an "Old Thermae" again....... and even the fairys rule the Malaysia Hotel now........ We're all Doomed !    Thanks Thailand......Re-Set necessary......  

agreed entirely bkk good before it became too westernised,,, 80s,90 00s were teriific

old thermae was the best ever ..but never found out what was going on at the blue parrot just outside the malaysia hotel , a total mystery...can anyone help?

pre KFC pre  pre McDs pre sky train period good after that it lost its asia mystique

1 hour ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

In order to compare apples with apples: was that for jobs that could be performed (maybe even better) by a local? Or was that for jobs requiring specific expertise or experience that’s scarce locally? You can still get well paid jobs here if you’re in demand. 

This was for employment straight across the board. Definitely an increase in foreign education has taken a chunk out of the job market here. 

But even highly-skilled jobs have taken a downturn. Im not saying the jobs aren't here, but it was fairly easy to find a decent job, or change jobs here even 10 years ago than it seems to be now.