Thai authorities admit "Billion Baht" quarantine has been massive cash cow for economy

rooster59

Just now, sanmyintmaung said:

According to flightradar24 site, 72 international flights landed at Suvanabhumi Airport alone today.  Each plane carrying 50 passengers will easily meet and exceed 1000 people arrival per day.

Some of them could have been bringing cargo, I believe British Airways are flying daily but cargo only.

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

At least as regards the U.S., last I read, the government isn't scheduled to even consider the first vaccine approval until mid-Dec at the earliest, and that's not likely going to be the AstraZeneca version that's the easiest to deploy. (That one may not be approved by the U.S. anytime soon from what I've been reading this past week, leaving Pfizer and Moderna as the more likely candidates.)

Then, whatever they do in the early going is likely going to be very limited and targeted, focusing on health care workers, the elderly and perhaps some other specific groups.

In other words, it's likely to be a pretty long time in terms of many months or even into 2021 before everyone there who wants one is going to be able to get a vaccine shot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

Ok lets cut the <deleted> nonsense here; 1,2 billion baht divided by an average of 40,000 baht per person for quarantine (as most were Thais it is probably  a lot less) means that at least 30,000 people went through. In the last 3 months that is at least 1,000 people arriving per day... Didn't happen! 

Article says 4 months, but even if there were just 3 months, thats 90 days and not 30 days? Or am I missing something here?

• Like 1

Just now, kingdong said:

As long as the punters keep paying it the thais will keep charging it.

I have said this all along, yes people might have properties and wives etc and are desperate to come back but the more who succumb to the expensive hoop jumping filling the pockets of the few the longer the restrictions will stay in place,
Me, hopefully I can ride the storm out even though my Thai partner and and  son are stuck with me in the U.K. and I am currently paying rent for a house in Thailand.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I have said this all along, yes people might have properties and wives etc and are desperate to come back but the more who succumb to the expensive hoop jumping filling the pockets of the few the longer the restrictions will stay in place,
Me, hopefully I can ride the storm out even though my Thai partner and and  son are stuck with me in the U.K. and I am currently paying rent for a house in Thailand.

Did read something on this thread that the thai authorities aren,t going to let any tourists in till all of thailand is vaccinated,if this is the case it looks grim,what with it would appear china financially colonising the los it dosen,t look to clever,well good luck.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Not sure about this. I read a few days ago in the Bangkok Post that Prayut announced already that they will not open the flood gates until all Thais are vaccinated. If so, it doesn't matter if foreigners are vaccinated. And, how long can it take till all Thais are vaccinated when they intend to start vaccination mid of 2021 only?

The close relations of the government to the six richest families in Thailand and to China are well known. Both are interested in investing in the Thai tourism industry and other companies at the lowest possible cost, meaning after these enterprises went bankrupt. Therefore, keeping the country closed for some more months is of strategic interest for these investors.

Therefore, it's quite possible that it might not help us foreigners to come back to Thailand, even if we are vaccinated.

Thai logic at its best.  Farang Vaccinated,Covid free before boarding, covid free at arrival, possible quarantine and still not good enough to be desease free.  What the hey.  

34 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Why?  Quarantine in house /condo with a gps tracker.  Other countries have it. Oh i  forgot. There’s no money to be made doing that.  That’s why

How about a cute thai gal to follow me around, like in North korea?...seems to be similar rules at the moment

Thought so already. With Visa the same. But hotels have to comply to 6 rules. What are these rules and where can I read more about it? Main concern for ASQ guests is food temperature. Meals should be served with HACCP in mind. Please add this to you 6 rules.

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's amazing how many people are willing to be quarantined just to come to Thailand. It must be hell back home.

If quarantine makes so much money, Thailand might extend the period indefinitely so they can make more money.

I have been saying that for months, no chance of the unelected "PM" or his soldiers income stream being affected, only

going one way and that is upwards. No wonder all these people are protesting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:
9 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

According to flightradar24 site, 72 international flights landed at Suvanabhumi Airport alone today.  Each plane carrying 50 passengers will easily meet and exceed 1000 people arrival per day.

Some of them could have been bringing cargo, I believe British Airways are flying daily but cargo only.

Johnnie Walker Black Label shipments for the Hi So's

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You got 13 likes (so far) for that comment - but has anyone really thought realistically about the numbers involved. 

Exactly how have they ‘over charged like crazy’ ???

Example: I stayed at TwoThree hotel.

15 nights : 45,000 baht. 

2x Covid Tests (12,000 baht)

45 meals (±500 baht per day. Foot outsourced to a local bakery)

Airport trx (600 baht)

= 1660 Baht per night

That's hardly the fleecing everyone suggests it is.

2 Covid Tests 12.000 Bt not fleecing?? What do you think the profit margin there would be? I would

guess about 95%.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, overt2016 said:

OK, I give-up, I am confused and stupid or stupid and confused!

Is the country benefitting from the pandemic or sinking from  the lack of tourists?

The unelected soldiers benefitting, apart from ASQ, hospitals, and covid tests, the others not.

I know of a case where a tourist arrived, declared positive but asymptomatic, sent to hospital. Hospital had only to check his temp and feed him. Bill just so happened to be the limit of his insurance. He tried to get a refund on the hotel but was unable.

I am surprised that the gov't does not let more in and declare many positive. Good scam

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I seem to have read a few months ago that officials were visiting potential ASQ hotels and telling them there was a 40% fee payable to the government. 

The claim was that the 40% wasn't a fee, and wasn't going to the government... The Ministry of Health denied that the people making the demand worked for them, and then we never heard anything else about the matter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

2 Covid Tests 12.000 Bt not fleecing?? What do you think the profit margin there would be? I would

guess about 95%.

A Covid-19 test in the UK cost me £185 (7500 baht) 

I’m sure the hospital profits - not the ASQ hotel.

I (insurance) just paid 150,000 baht for a minor procedure at Bumrungrad - hospitals are (relatively) expensive - this is not a sudden hike in prices to ‘fleece the foreigner’ and neither is the pricing of the Covid-19 test, its just the usual ‘private hospital expenses’.

As I wrote - once the expenses for food and tests etc are removed the room itself costs ±1600 baht per night - thats cheaper than previously published agoda rate of ±2000 baht. 

-----

Everyone is looking to criticise Thailand and throw out fleecing and corruption accusations. 

I’d obviously not want to pay and all and instead ‘isolate’ at home for 2 weeks, however, Quarantine is the policy in many countries, not just Thailand and the prices in Thailand ranging from 30,000 baht upwards is not extreme or extortionate.

I don’t seen anyone getting ‘fleeced’ - I see a water tight policy in action - once which results in the ‘opposite of a cash cow’ - the need for CoE and Quarantine is a policy which is costing Thailand trillions in tourist income. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A Covid-19 test in the UK cost me £185 (7500 baht) 

I’m sure the hospital profits - not the ASQ hotel.

I (insurance) just paid 150,000 baht for a minor procedure at Bumrungrad - hospitals are (relatively) expensive - this is not a sudden hike in prices to ‘fleece the foreigner’ and neither is the pricing of the Covid-19 test, its just the usual ‘private hospital expenses’.

As I wrote - once the expenses for food and tests etc are removed the room itself costs ±1600 baht per night - thats cheaper than previously published agoda rate of ±2000 baht. 

-----

Everyone is looking to criticise Thailand and throw out fleecing and corruption accusations. 

I’d obviously not want to pay and all and instead ‘isolate’ at home for 2 weeks, however, Quarantine is the policy in many countries, not just Thailand and the prices in Thailand ranging from 30,000 baht upwards is not extreme or extortionate.

I don’t seen anyone getting ‘fleeced’ - I see a water tight policy in action - once which results in the ‘opposite of a cash cow’ - the need for CoE and Quarantine is a policy which is costing Thailand trillions in tourist income. 

I do see your points, but I do believe the unelected "government" are doing well with their share of the takings from ASQ, hospital, covid test etc.

Lets wait and see how long the quarantine carries on after the vaccine, and when the borders open again if the soldiers are still in power then.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I do see your points, but I do believe the unelected "government" are doing well with their share of the takings from ASQ, hospital, covid test etc.

Lets wait and see how long the quarantine carries on after the vaccine, and when the borders open again if the soldiers are still in power then.

I too am wondering if or how the vaccine will alter things. 

Vaccines haven been spoken of as some magical elixir solving all covid problems. However, thats not quite realistic. 

Visitors to Thailand may require a Vaccine (proof of vaccine, i.e. Covid Passport etc). One can be vaccinated against Covid-19, but still be carrying SARS-CoV-2  and thus remain a continued risk of ’spread’.

While I consider the worlds reaction to be a massive over-reaction, it would also make sense for the government to ‘control incoming travel' until the vast majority of its population has been vaccinated - that could be a while.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Just to be clear....thais returning that quarantine pay NOTHING

farangs returning pay towards that cash cow

whats their  incentive to drop or reduce the quarantine???  Another covid SOE excuse

I asked the question earlier in the thread about this and the replies were Thai's are paying for ASQ rather than the free government option.