In Store Cash Back Using UK Bank Card

HI,

Has anybody ever used their Visa/Master card in store to pay for shopping ect and then asked for cash back.............. and got it? I am thinking of the likes of Tesco Lotus when i purchase food shopping. Is it possible for the store to charge me an extra 2000THB say, and give me the 2000THB cash back?

If not, is there another way around having to pay the scandalous 250THB ATM charge when withdrawing money?

All tips and tricks welcome!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steps said:

HI,

Has anybody ever used their Visa/Master card in store to pay for shopping ect and then asked for cash back.............. and got it? I am thinking of the likes of Tesco Lotus when i purchase food shopping. Is it possible for the store to charge me an extra 2000THB say, and give me the 2000THB cash back?

If not, is there another way around having to pay the scandalous 250THB ATM charge when withdrawing money?

ATM more at one time makes it cheaper.

Get a Thai bank account wire from your foreign account to Thai large sums will be cheap again too.

• Like 1

Never heard of shop in Thailand giving cash back - it would actually cost a shop money. Of course, you could try and make a deal with a shop owner - if you make it worth it to them. Never try an employee - they would probably panic.

Assuming it is a foreign card, try asking in a bank for a counter withdrawal. You need to ask for a substantial sum - i.e. more than the ATM limit -  most banks will do this but some will charge. It is the way i get my money, but i have a fee free credit card. 

If you do not have a fee free card for cash advances, best to get a Thai bank account and fund via Transferwise - but it can be extremely difficult to open a bank account these days unless working in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 5:12 PM, Steps said:

I once went to Krungsri Bank and asked for a withdrawal over the counter for a small fee of 200 baht, their limit was up to 150,000 baht, however your bank debit card might restrict you as mine did, i.e. I could only withdraw 60,000 baht as that was the daily cash withdrawal limit my bank would allow me for my protection, pretty much the same with other banks, but that's not to say you can't transfer 10 times that amount without calling them to get security clearance.

Couple of things to note, staff will try to charge you 3% thinking your debit card is a credit card, but you have to make sure that they understand it is a debit card and the fee is 200 baht for the over the counter withdrawal, shouldn't be too hard to sort it out as I did.

Naturally you will need your passport.

Withdrawals from an ATM with your debit Visa/Mastercard should be a thing of the past because of the fees they charge here. Your best to open an account here if you don't have one, and if you can that is, then sign up with TransferWise, it's easy and you transfer your funds into their account and the money usually arrives in your account here within 24 hours if it's not transferred on a Friday, the rate is great as well and the fees are quoted at the time and are lower than ATM transaction, suffice to say you can transfer large amounts with the fee going up the larger the transfer. I transfer once a year for my annual budget and have never had an issue with them or my bank here receiving the funds and immigration are good with it when doing my extensions.

So, look into Krungsri Bank "over the counter withdrawals", not ATM's, although do they do allow ATM withdrawals of up to 30,000 baht for a fee each time, but over the counter up to 150,000 baht for 200 baht would serve you well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

it can be extremely difficult to open a bank account these days unless working in Thailand.

That may be your experience, it is not mine.

As usual because TIT one person’s  experience is often very different to another’s. I have opened an account recently, I didn’t notice anything different in the process, I have never had a work permit. YMMV

Edited by sometimewoodworker

7 hours ago, rickudon said:

Never heard of shop in Thailand giving cash back - it would actually cost a shop money. Of course, you could try and make a deal with a shop owner - if you make it worth it to them. Never try an employee - they would probably panic.

Assuming it is a foreign card, try asking in a bank for a counter withdrawal. You need to ask for a substantial sum - i.e. more than the ATM limit -  most banks will do this but some will charge. It is the way i get my money, but i have a fee free credit card. 

If you do not have a fee free card for cash advances, best to get a Thai bank account and fund via Transferwise - but it can be extremely difficult to open a bank account these days unless working in Thailand.

My card is a fee free card from the UK. The fee i am trying to avoid is on the Thai Side during ATM withdrawals.

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

Yes, my point being, as it doesn't even work with local Thai cards, I think there's no chance of it working with a foreign issued card.

I think you are right, unless i speak to the owner of a shop over here to make the arrangement. My missus will basically have one of my cards to use as a monthly allowance until her visa is cleared for the UK.

16 hours ago, lavender19 said:

They have problems with normal transactions let alone a cash back option 

“They”, whomsoever that may refer to, never have problems when I pay for a ‘normal transaction’.

Problems solely occur when cash in my bank account was spent already!

Edited by KKr

1 minute ago, KKr said:

“They”, whomsoever that may refer to, never have problems when I pay for a ‘normal transaction’.

^^^Ditto.  Insert card...a few seconds later transaction done....been doing it for a dozen years in Thailand with multiple foreign credit/debit cards...no problems.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

I've never-ever saw anyone get cash-back when checking out with a Thai or foreign card in the dozen or so years being in Thailand and standing in store checkout lanes.   It's just something they don't do in Thailand. 

for a shopkeeper it does not make sense to extend this service.
PC (Plastic Card) companies frown on it,
it generates revenue in the computer that needs to be explained later and
may be taxed if not "explained away".

On 11/30/2020 at 10:51 AM, 4MyEgo said:

So, look into Krungsri Bank "over the counter withdrawals", not ATM's, although do they do allow ATM withdrawals of up to 30,000 baht for a fee each time, but over the counter up to 150,000 baht for 200 baht would serve you well.

I use Krungsri for my credit card counter withdrawals, they never charge me anything.

• Like 1