Passport Renewal

On 12/1/2020 at 10:25 AM, OJAS said:
On 11/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, Upnotover said:

a jolly day out in Bangkok

...is an oxymoron IMHO. And to make matters worse 2 such days several weeks apart need to be endured, of course!

Don't forget that for most, it will be a whole ten years between these huge, life-changing inconveniences as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 11:58 AM, NanLaew said:
On 12/1/2020 at 10:25 AM, OJAS said:
On 11/28/2020 at 11:03 PM, Upnotover said:

a jolly day out in Bangkok

...is an oxymoron IMHO. And to make matters worse 2 such days several weeks apart need to be endured, of course!

Don't forget that for most, it will be a whole ten years between these huge, life-changing inconveniences as well.

And dont forget you dont have to even attend in person!

The grandeur and might of the British Empire rapidly diminishes as one enters the trendy building to broken escalators, rickety photocopy machines and flaky translation services in one of the cheapest rental buildings in Bangkok. 

In true British fashion the evidence of budget cuts is visible throughout the process. 

It's like arriving at Manchester Airport, dodging the cones and broken travelators as one steps off the air-gate. 

That said; my passport was recently renewed in 5 weeks, so not that bad (I’d been e-mailed to inform me it would take 8 due to Covid-19). 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The grandeur and might of the British Empire rapidly diminishes as one enters the trendy building to broken escalators, rickety photocopy machines and flaky translation services in one of the cheapest rental buildings in Bangkok. 

In true British fashion the evidence of budget cuts is visible throughout the process. 

It's like arriving at Manchester Airport, dodging the cones and broken travelators as one steps off the air-gate. 

That said; my passport was recently renewed in 5 weeks, so not that bad (I’d been e-mailed to inform me it would take 8 due to Covid-19). 

They have left the Trendy building, now in AIA tower at Sathorn Rd (seen on here the other day).

Richard, how long did it take you to get an appointment date after your E Mail request? I have E Mailed to them today about my renewal.

8 minutes ago, champers said:

They have left the Trendy building, now in AIA tower at Sathorn Rd (seen on here the other day).

Richard, how long did it take you to get an appointment date after your E Mail request? I have E Mailed to them today about my renewal.

I e-mailed for an appointment on 15th Oct and received a reply the following day offering an appointment on 30th Oct. 

The VFS replied to my e-mail within 24 hours and offered an appointment in two weeks time. 

I collected my renewed British Passport from VFS at Trendy building last week (5 weeks from submission).

To avoid confusion for anyone reading: I was at the VFS HMPO a week ago, its most definitely still on the 28th Floor of the trendy building (unless they’ve moved in the past week and not announced it on their website !)

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/hmpo

• 3 weeks later...

Went into Bangkok to deliver my completed documents for renewing my UK passport yesterday - 6th January 2012. If you are driving in - and driving down Asok road to the large junction with Sukhumvit road, this might help: at the junction turn right (into Sukhumvit road) and almost immediately do a U-turn at soi 11. When you have turned, you will come to soi 13 soon on your left - so turn into it. The Trendy Building is about 100 yards down on the right and at the far end is the opening that leads up to the car park which is on floors 3 thru 5. Go up to level 5, turn left, drive to the end and park. Leave your car and go into the building, turn right and go through the glass doors. There is a girl with a temp. gun and hand sanitizer. Upon asking her (where the passport office was) she directed me to go down to the ground floor - via the escalators. Head to the elevators and go to the last one which is at the end. Go up to the 28th floor, exit the elevator and turn left and you are at the entry to the passport office.

Once you have finished your business, exit the passport office and go down in the same elevator to the 8th floor Exit the elevator, turn left and head to the fire exit door; walk down 3 floors to level 5, go in through that fire exit door, turn right and you are back to the girl with the temp. gun.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 6:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Can hardly blame them; who wouldn't sell a piece of land in Chidlom that was bought when it was a rice filed. 

54 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

How did he get the correct visa/extension stamps etc added into his new passport??

I presume he went to immigration. 

I got my passport from an agent recently but don't need to go to immigration this time as I've changed nationality to Thai. 

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I presume he went to immigration. 

I got my passport from an agent recently but don't need to go to immigration this time as I've changed nationality to Thai. 

He needs take a letter to Immigration from the BE and that letter needs to have an embossed BE  stamp on it before Thai Immigration will accept the new passport as legal and add the relevant stamps to it.

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

He needs take a letter to Immigration from the BE and that letter needs to have an embossed BE  stamp on it before Thai Immigration will accept the new passport as legal and add the relevant stamps to it.

That wasn't necessary 3/4 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It most definitely was two months ago.

I renewed my UK passport in November and was given the required BE letter at Trendy at the same time they gave me me new passport (and cut the corners off the old one).

I always copy any official documents I am using to my laptop, in case of damage/loss etc, so copied the BE letter I was given. When I went to Sri Racha Immigration with the letter and both old and new passports, they initially refused to transfer the stamps because I had mistakenly given them the copy of the BE letter instead of the original. They notice immediately noticed the letter didn't have the embossed stamp and refused it. Fortunately I also had the original in my folder so the did transfer the relevant stamps. They did explain that, although not accurate, it was a way of checking the new passport. Not many people would go to the BE with a forged passport to risk asking for the official letter.

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

It was 3 years ago, Feb 2018, HMPO offered me the letter and said I would need it for Immigration.

Went to Immigration to get stamps transferred, first question was Embassy letter (with hand held out), then both passports please.

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My mate renewed in Thailand online.

He just lied about a couple of things and got it sent to his sister in the UK. 

So. your mate signed a declaration that stated:

'It is a criminal offence to make a false statement to get a passport. If you have made a false statement on this form, you could be prosecuted and could go to prison.'

Rather him than me.........

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

So. your mate signed a declaration that stated:

'It is a criminal offence to make a false statement to get a passport. If you have made a false statement on this form, you could be prosecuted and could go to prison.'

Rather him than me.........

I don't know, maybe he had 2 addresses, one here and one in the UK. No one is going to jail for that.

Archived