Registering land on my daughters name Thai national

If I buy some land on the name of my daughter's mother, is it possible that my daughter can become the owner after she has reached the age of 20 years by registering this process in advance with the land-department? Thank you for your comment´s.

51 minutes ago, Ripe said:

If I buy some land on the name of my daughter's mother, is it possible that my daughter can become the owner after she has reached the age of 20 years by registering this process in advance with the land-department? Thank you for your comment´s.

Don't know of age maybe 18 the only way is ask mother or if you 2 don't get on go to local govt office in your province and ask. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

if you 2 don't get on go to local govt office in your province and ask. 

I'd prefer a lawyer for clearing the facts.

Perhaps cost you/him 10 KBaht, but everything else might become much more expensive.

Only one question: why would you buy land?

12 hours ago, Yom said:

I'd prefer a lawyer for clearing the facts.

Perhaps cost you/him 10 KBaht, but everything else might become much more expensive.

Only one question: why would you buy land?

The OP was asking about buying land not me but not giving much facts about his situation of why.

As for my wife and me I have bought land and it's in my wife name.

I bought land for my daughter.

My wife had a section her land put in her sons name.

This was all done at the local govt office in our province.

No need for lawyers unless there is dispute with the family. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

Just register it directly in your daughters name, this is probably easier.

Agree, by national laws Thai children can own land, but you need to check this at your local Land Titles Office because the chief(s) of some LT offices don't like this idea and refuse to comply with the law.

My Thai son recently checked this at the Chiang Mai LT office and they will record children's names on the land title (chanut). But better to check first.

• Like 1

Just put it in your daughters name and she cant sell it until she's 18/20 I forget now, you have to think about what could happen in the future as the saying goes The best laid Plans and all that, I have seen this backfire where they wife borrowed money on the land, well you know the rest of the story,

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

There is no minimum age for a Thai national to own property, so basically you can buy the land and register it to your daughter's name. However, any property registered to a minor cannot be sold / mortgaged without a court order, which is not easy to get.

AFAIK you can't register on the deed future promises of name / ownership transfers. You could probably draw a contract between your wife and your daughter or your wife and yourself that states that at a certain time in the future the wife will transfer the title to the daughter. The problems with such a contract are 1) it is a civil contract and if the wife doesn't comply with it it might be very difficult and expensive to force her to comply and 2) if something happens to your wife between now and the due date the land might be lost (incase other family members inherit the land). 

Interesting as I am thinking of buying land next year as an inheritance for my daughters. I have recently become Thai but it might be easier if I put it directly in my daughter's name. 

17 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting as I am thinking of buying land next year as an inheritance for my daughters. I have recently become Thai but it might be easier if I put it directly in my daughter's name. 

If you put it in her name - it's hers. Why not put it in your name and put it in your will for her to inherit it? 

If she's under 20 there are limits on what you can do without a court order. If for any reason you'd have to sell the land, or want to mortgage the land and (i think) even lease it out - you're limited. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

If you put it in her name - it's hers. Why not put it in your name and put it in your will for her to inherit it? 

If she's under 20 there are limits on what you can do without a court order. If for any reason you'd have to sell the land, or want to mortgage the land and (i think) even lease it out - you're limited. 

Good points. I guess it's about time I got round to a will. Never been old enough or had enough assets before! 

Land can be collateral if I want to get a new house loan. 

On 11/28/2020 at 8:51 AM, Ripe said:

No pre-registration available, only by gift or inheritance; i.e. the mother will need to make a will, as child/children only inherit 50 % without a will.

But you can buy the land in your daughter's name under guardian, typically a parent. When having land registered to a minor's ownership, it can be extremely difficult, if not impossible to sell/transfer the land, or have servitudes declared like lease, mortgage, superficies and/or usufruct.

Wondering about this too for my son, reading up on replies here.

I only did find out there is quite some things I can do alone with his birth certificate. I also opened a savings account and bank account for him this way, that his mother does not know about or signed for. Only I can control it, at least they told me that.

I would certainly buy some land if it can be put in his name directly, would not mind if he kicked me out in 18 years from now, doubt he would.

Edited by ChaiyaTH