Glass Roof

I'm trying to come up with ideas for an extension to my home. I fancy having a glass roof to be able to see the night sky. 

Is this a bad idea in Thailand? Would the cooling of the room be much more expensive?

The main thing -  can you get strong enough glass here?

• Confused 1

You can get strong enough glass here, have you been to the newer airport?

I think it's a great idea. Cooling will be an issue unless you have a retractable shade for it. 

Will this be on a ground floor? Cleaning may also be an issue.

I had a girlfriend that had a glass roof in her shower, that was nice...

• Haha 2

Wasn't there a bar in Nana with a glass ceiling/floor??

The glazing shouldn't be a problem but as noted you will need shading blinds and a way to keep it clean.

Stepping outside achieves much the same effect :whistling:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The glazing shouldn't be a problem but as noted you will need shading blinds and a way to keep it clean.

Not sure, but I know there was one on Soi Cowboy, at least that's what a friend told me....

• Haha 2

We have 3 glass roof extensions on our house,they have been no problem

in the last 10 - 20 years we have had them,the glass looks like quarter of an

inch, don't know if its toughened or not,but as i say no problem, did get a

bit worried once when it was reported that one area up here had hailstones

as big as golf balls falling, and how they had gone through corrugated  tin

roofs. 

I like a lot of light in the house,but we also have a lot of trees ,bushes and

water around the house which keeps it cool.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, Crossy said:

There's a few bar/restaurants with this feature ???? 

Ever hear of hot houses?  They are basically glass buildings that let in the sunlight and trap the heat produced when that light is absorbed by the plants, planters, and floor.  When it is Summer you often find them opening up parts of the side walls or ceilings to let out the excess heat.

Do yourself a favor and put on a roof of the large concrete composite WHITE corrugated roofing panels.  Have screened openings under the roof eves and one of the spinning fans installed on the roof to extract hot air from the area between the ceiling and the roof then add 6" of plain fiberglass insulation to your ceiling to keep the heat out of the living area.  This is what saves money for air conditioning.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2020 at 6:45 PM, Neeranam said:

I'm trying to come up with ideas for an extension to my home. I fancy having a glass roof to be able to see the night sky. 

Is this a bad idea in Thailand? Would the cooling of the room be much more expensive?

Do it only if you can have electric shutters to open/close easily by a switch whenever you want. 

On 11/28/2020 at 12:45 PM, Neeranam said:

Yes fancy to watch the night sky, but I would never consider a glass roof in Thailand, thinking of how it would be in the daytime.

In my cold Nordic home country you could use a glass roof – or "winter garden", as we might call such an extension – to warm up the house. At least you need an automatic roll-on shade during sunny daytime, and automatic top window opening devices for ventilation when it gets unbearable hot, and that might even not be enough.

Univent-automatisk-vinduesaabner-drivhus

Furthermore, you need to take the weather into consideration, a normal roof can be hard enough to keep water tight, and depending of location, you might experience a hail storm...:whistling:

• Like 1