Brexit negotiations restart in person as clock ticks down

rooster59

Brexit negotiations restart in person as clock ticks down

2020-11-28T102442Z_2_LYNXMPEGAR086_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-TALKS.JPG

European Union's chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier wearing a protective face mask is seen in London, Britain November 28, 2020. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Face-to-face negotiations between Britain and the European Union over a trade deal restarted on Saturday, in a last-ditch attempt to find agreement with just five weeks to go before their current relationship ends.

EU negotiator Michel Barnier arrived for talks in London on Saturday morning. He said on Friday night that he was "very happy" to be back in the city and would keep working with "patience and determination".

Barnier and Britain's chief negotiator David Frost are working to secure a deal before the UK's transition period with the EU ends on Dec. 31. Both sides are calling for the other to compromise on the three main issues of contention - fishing, state aid and how to resolve any future disputes.

Britain left the bloc on Jan. 31 this year and a "no-deal" final exit would snarl borders, spook financial markets and disrupt delicate supply chains that stretch across Europe and beyond -- just as the world grapples with the vast economic cost of the COVID-19 outbreak.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson spoke to Irish Taoiseach Micheal Martin on Friday evening. Johnson underlined his commitment to reaching a deal that respects the sovereignty of the UK, according to a UK statement.

On the major sticking point of fishing, some media reports on Friday suggested that Britain had rejected an EU proposal on the value of fish quota that European fleets catch in British waters that are due to be restored to the UK.

The Telegraph newspaper reported that the EU was set to concede on Brexit fishing rights.

(Reporting by Sarah Young; Editing by Frances Kerry)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-11-28

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

No Mr Barnier of course, it has been reported that he is prepared to allow the UK to have 18% more British fish caught in British waters, now doesn't that really show what a kind and considerate man he really is.

Is them  fish on a  buy back then? Like  you  catch em, we  get  18 % exstra back on quota?  Or we  gotta  catch  ourselvses?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s not paid to be ‘kind and considerate’.

Well guess what, neither is Mr Frost.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Don’t focus too much on the ‘chlorinated chicken’, it’s a tiny part of what the US is going to force the UK to swallow.

You’ll find warnings of going cap in hand to Washington begging for a trade deal filed under ‘project fear’.

And what US industry lobbyist demand from a US/UK trade deal is nothing to do with who is President or indeed which political party holds the Presidency.

What is the difference between US chlorinated produce and EU chlorinated produce?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One’s a distraction.

There is no difference, except to say that the EU chlorinated produce is used to clean their produce whilst the US chlorinated produce is used to hit Brexiteers over the head with.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What EU ‘products’ are treated with chlorine?

EU salads are washed in chlorine and of course our very own drinking water has chlorine in it, what you have to realise is that chlorine is a processing aid and not an ingredient. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If indeed sovereignty is that important, fishing in British waters by non- Britons should never have been tolerated ( no quota should have been sold out to foreign hands).

In my opinion it is a pure mercantile state of affairs, this sovereignty thing is a lame excuse.

Now I have no problem at all, that a country try to get the most out of the deal, if a foreign country wants to buy/ lease/use it, or whatever, some of the resources of that said country.

In other words Lord Frost should have said/say to Mr. Barnier : 

"you want to continue to fish in our waters, well it is that much".

Than up to negotiations.

Edited by luckyluke
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The point is if you want absolute soverreignty, don't sign treaties or trade agreements. If they are at all meaningful they will require certain restrictions in exchange for certain privileges.

Unless, of course, it turns out that Brexit really is magic.

I have news for you, I didn't sign it, other than that you have a complete fixation on the WA, nobody is interested in what you personally think, Boris will do what is best for our nation and not what is best for the EU, sorry you don't like it, not. May started all this nonsense and Boris is still trying to unravel the mess she caused, we will not, repeat, will not trap ourselves into a situation where it would be difficult to negotiate our way out. As I said I am not interested in what you think only what will be benificial to our country and you can go on about for as long as you like as it will not make a blind bit of difference at the end of the day. Here is Andrea Leadsom talking about, I sure you won't take it on board, you never listen to what people tell you.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you should read about why US chickens are cleaned that way. There is a reason for that. And that's the reason why many countries don't want that s$@&.

If you don't even understand that then I don't have much hope you will understand more complicated issues.

I don't care what you think I understand or what I don't understand, but I do know that the Euros have a tendancy to make a very small mole holehill into a very big mountain. 

You should get your own chicken house welfare in order before you start to criticise others.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have news for you, I didn't sign it, other than that you have a complete fixation on the WA, nobody is interested in what you personally think, Boris will do what is best for our nation and not what is best for the EU, sorry you don't like it, not. May started all this nonsense and Boris is still trying to unravel the mess she caused, we will not, repeat, will not trap ourselves into a situation where it would be difficult to negotiate our way out. As I said I am not interested in what you think only what will be benificial to our country and you can go on about for as long as you like as it will not make a blind bit of difference at the end of the day. Here is Andrea Leadsom talking about, I sure you won't take it on board, you never listen to what people tell you.

Whereas what you think is of great importance to the present day issues?  Ad for no one caring about what I think, who deputized you to speak for everyone? Don't fancy yourself too much, do you? And you apparently have no rational response to offer on the nature of treaties and such so you deflect by making it personal. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Whereas what you think is of great importance to the present day issues?  Ad for no one caring about what I think, who deputized you to speak for everyone? Don't fancy yourself too much, do you? And you apparently have no rational response to offer on the nature of treaties and such so you deflect by making it personal. 

You have spent a whole week on another thread discussing this very issue and getting nowhere with it, so you decide to bring it on here, and that with your constant going on about WW2 I am bored with it. On ignore

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, vogie said:

Boris will do what is best for our nation

And that's what he is  of course suppose to do.

Mr. Barnier have been instructed to do the best for the E.U., and that's what he is doing.

It is a very difficult duty, which may result for the 2 parties in a :

"Mission non  accomplished" 

There will be than, on both sides,  a lot of statements why it failed, with certainly the blaming of the other party for not have being fair-minded/reasonable.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

And that's what he is  of course suppose to do.

Mr. Barnier have been instructed to do the best for the E.U., and that's what he is doing.

It is a very difficult duty, which may result for the 2 parties in a :

"Mission non  accomplished" 

There will be than, on both sides,  a lot of statements why it failed, with certainly the blaming of the other party for not have being fair-minded/reasonable.

I agree. M. Barnier has a very difficult job. The EU comprises of 27 states which all have their own interests and priorities; that's why it takes eons for anything to happen. 

• Like 1