Brexit negotiations restart in person as clock ticks down

rooster59

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't think you understand what sovereignty means, my take on it is we should say what happens in our waters and not Mr Barnier. The whole point in leaving the EU was to regain sovereignty and not still be dictated to by the EU, now this might be a difficult concept for some people to come to terms with, but trust me, it is not difficult.

Would you like your next door neighbour to keep walking into your garden and pulling up your prized pansies or ripping up your roses, and to have him say to you 'don't worry, you have survived for the last decades', come on now, you would be livid.

Sovereignty ... ????????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, vogie said:

I don't think you understand what sovereignty means, my take on it is we should say what happens in our waters and not Mr Barnier. The whole point in leaving the EU was to regain sovereignty and not still be dictated to by the EU, now this might be a difficult concept for some people to come to terms with, but trust me, it is not difficult.

Would you like your next door neighbour to keep walking into your garden and pulling up your prized pansies or ripping up your roses, and to have him say to you 'don't worry, you have survived for the last decades', come on now, you would be livid.

We got nothing from the EU ? A huge amount of northern regeneration projects EU funded. Superior deal criteria, which you’re about to painfully find out. Or is the OBR on the never ending brexiteer bias list ? 

and here’s an odd one we are allowed to fish for scallops all year in french waters but they are not allowed May to October. 

Take the blinkers off chap, they’re limiting your view. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

We got nothing from the EU ? A huge amount of northern regeneration projects EU funded. Superior deal criteria, which you’re about to painfully find out. Or is the OBR on the never ending brexiteer bias list ? 

and here’s an odd one we are allowed to fish for scallops all year in french waters but they are not allowed May to October. 

Does this northern regeneration include your home town of Middlesborough, isn't it good of the EU to give us some of our own money back to do what they say we spend it on.

We know that you are not interested what the rest of the country voted for, but it looks like you're going to have to live with it, rejoice your new found freedom and have a nip of monkey shoulder just for old time sake, you know it makes sense.

You know sometimes I feel why should I or any other Brexiteer have to justify a democratic decision the country has chosen.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, vogie said:

No Mr Barnier of course, it has been reported that he is prepared to allow the UK to have 18% more British fish caught in British waters, now doesn't that really show what a kind and considerate man he really is.

Diamond geezer

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I understand the concept of sovereignty. And I also understand that in todays world countries and groups of countries have to work together. Not just the UK and the EU.

Sovereignty and working together are two different things all together and never the twain shall meet.

I.e. the UK wants to have a free trade agreement with the USA. How does that work? Both countries have to agree on many issues. I.e. maybe the UK tells the US "we don't want chlorinated chicken". "And you can't touch the NHS". Maybe the USA agrees on that but more likely they will tell the UK: If you don't allow us to do this and that then there won't be a free trade agreement and you won't have the opportunities a, b and c. And that's the point were the UK has to decide if they accept certain conditions which they don't really like or if they don't accept them.

Do you think you are over egging this chlorinated chicken lark, the US washes the chickens with chlorine, no big deal, it rids the chickens of any harmfull bacteria, just the same as the EU washes certain produce of theirs with chlorine. I haven't seen any Americans strolling around Pattaya with glowing green noses or purple eyes, not many anyway. Why don't you ever bring the way the EU uses chlorine to wash their produce?

We do not and indeed will not sell our souls to the devil just to get a free trade deal with the US, it would be nice, but it is not the be all and end all. At the moment we are running a quite healthy trade surplus with the US, whilst with the EU we are running a deficit. So we will be just fine if everything stays as it is, but to be blackmailed into getting a trade deal is certainly not the way the UK operates.

So well done for getting the president of your dreams, he is only president because he is not Trump and not because he is Irish Joe, and as sure as eggs are eggs, he won't be there for ever.

"EU uses chlorine to wash their produce"   In which products plase.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vogie said:

I understand the concept of sovereignty. And I also understand that in todays world countries and groups of countries have to work together. Not just the UK and the EU.

Sovereignty and working together are two different things all together and never the twain shall meet.

I.e. the UK wants to have a free trade agreement with the USA. How does that work? Both countries have to agree on many issues. I.e. maybe the UK tells the US "we don't want chlorinated chicken". "And you can't touch the NHS". Maybe the USA agrees on that but more likely they will tell the UK: If you don't allow us to do this and that then there won't be a free trade agreement and you won't have the opportunities a, b and c. And that's the point were the UK has to decide if they accept certain conditions which they don't really like or if they don't accept them.

Do you think you are over egging this chlorinated chicken lark, the US washes the chickens with chlorine, no big deal, it rids the chickens of any harmfull bacteria, just the same as the EU washes certain produce of theirs with chlorine. I haven't seen any Americans strolling around Pattaya with glowing green noses or purple eyes, not many anyway. Why don't you ever bring the way the EU uses chlorine to wash their produce?

We do not and indeed will not sell our souls to the devil just to get a free trade deal with the US, it would be nice, but it is not the be all and end all. At the moment we are running a quite healthy trade surplus with the US, whilst with the EU we are running a deficit. So we will be just fine if everything stays as it is, but to be blackmailed into getting a trade deal is certainly not the way the UK operates.

So well done for getting the president of your dreams, he is only president because he is not Trump and not because he is Irish Joe, and as sure as eggs are eggs, he won't be there for ever.

"EU uses chlorine to wash their produce"   In which products please.  

6 hours ago, vogie said:

EU salads are washed in chlorine and of course our very own drinking water has chlorine in it, what you have to realise is that chlorine is a processing aid and not an ingredient. 

No, chlorinated water is ONLY and ONLY allowed in the swimming pool.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Its pretty obvious. Either the UK (Brexiteers) accept what the EU is offering or its no deal.

Its already been made clear. Now the Brexiteers can huff and puff but its a one sided game because the larger trade entity always dictates what the smaller entity gets.

At this point Brexiteers will do their usual and scream OK NO DEAL THEN but thankfully its actually grown ups who are going to resolve this absolute shambles.

Get used to it guys. You were warned before the referendum took place that this is where we would end up.

You knew what you were voting for and this is it.

I’m anti Brexit and I still want a no deal! You can‘t just eff off and then expect to be allowed to cherry pick the conditions! Screw that! Let them reap the benefits of their actions! 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

This British attitude is MY reason to kick the British out, and not earlier than under King George to THINK about new negotiations about re-entry in the EU anymore.

Till that time: no British allowed to enter the EU, unless with a Schengen visa, an international insurance and driver licence. 

What about if we wore the union flag on our jackets so that you could differentiate us from people you like?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vogie said:

<snip>

Would you like your next door neighbour to keep walking into your garden and pulling up your prized pansies or ripping up your roses, and to have him say to you 'don't worry, you have survived for the last decades', come on now, you would be livid

But if I'd sold him the right to my garden back in the 1980s then I'd have no grounds for complaint!

As stated many, many times; that is what many UK fleet owners did with their fishing licences; sold them to foreign fleet owners!

Also stated many, many times is the fact that not only do many UK fishers fish in what are now EU waters, many of those who fish in UK waters sell and/or land their catches in the EU!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

Great. Love scallops.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Correct. The British now discover it's no longer The British Empire, who negotiate with Zanzibar, Birma, the Boers or even the Catholic Irish, but the tiny British Isles negotiating with the EU BLOC. No gun boats to use.

Your funny, the UK has already negotiated with many other countries to get same goods they were getting from EU.

That's why behind closed doors the EU wants a deal more so than UK.

UK has boat & planes and can sail and fly around the EU mafia mob.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

This British attitude is MY reason to kick the British out, and not earlier than under King George to THINK about new negotiations about re-entry in the EU anymore.

Till that time: no British allowed to enter the EU, unless with a Schengen visa, an international insurance and driver licence. 

Aren't they just so endearing? I think most of them are pretty much the same too, the stereotypes are all true.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

OK, as long as we can still have a dirty stag weekend in Bratislava.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Your funny, the UK has already negotiated with many other countries to get same goods they were getting from EU.

So the EU wants a deal more than the UK?

Any evidence to back that up?

7 hours ago, vogie said:

EU salads are washed in chlorine and of course our very own drinking water has chlorine in it, what you have to realise is that chlorine is a processing aid and not an ingredient. 

When will you realise that there is a big difference between washing salad vegetables and the chlorination of water and chlorination of chicken?

What is chlorinated chicken?

disease-causing bacteria like listeria and salmonella ‘remain active’ after chlorine washing. Chlorine washing just makes it impossible to detect the bacteria in the lab, giving the false impression that the bacteria have been killed when they haven’t.

It goes on to say that these bacteria are more common in the USA than UK and EU due to the lower animal welfare standards there.

On farms like this, chickens are often fed antibiotics as a preventative measure to stop infection and chlorine-washed after slaughter to kill bacteria.

However, this doesn’t support a good quality of life for chickens and reliance on antibiotics in farming means these lifesaving drugs are less effective for humans.

Furthermore, it's not just chlorinated chicken; there are other practices allowed in US food production that currently aren’t permitted in UK food standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can you share with us the results of those negotiations.

As far as I know China - US and Canada didn't bear any results, rather the opposite.

So who did they had positive negotiations with.

Zimbabwe - Pakistan - Iran?

• Like 2