PM tells agencies to be ready to tackle drought next year

rooster59

PM tells agencies to be ready to tackle drought next year

By The Nation

800_d1221091e327ca2.jpg

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered all related state agencies to prepare measures to mitigate the drought next year, government deputy spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek said.

The Office of the National Water Resources has reported that it has developed 526 key water projects this year.

These include 16 projects in the Eastern Economic Corridor, which raises water volume in the zone by 254 cubic metres. It will rush to develop another 22 projects in the zone to ensure adequate water supply.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398748

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-29

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2020-21 is going to be a La Nina year, and if strong enough, and it is looking like a strong one, Thailand might see a repeat of 2010-11 floods, so drought probably not on the cards regardless of what the Office of the National Water Resources says will happen

Edited by ourmanflint
  • Like 2

Kicking the proverbial can down the road again. Why put off tommorow when you could start today.  Thai way of doing things.

Darling let's go shopping we need food.

No we can not go shopping today, tomorrow we go because my friends come for dinner.

2 hours later the friends arrive.

Wife Can you go buy food darling we have none for my friends.

Only when you are confronted with a loss of face will you backtrack and do what is truly needed.  This government amazes me.  Must need another study or a panel.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered all related state agencies to prepare measures to mitigate the drought next year,

Planning for a future he won't be a part of! Only a few more days left....

The country is counting down to December 2, when the Constitutional Court is scheduled to rule if Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha should lose his post for violating the charter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are going to be hurting for water (again) very soon.

The Rainy season is over and if Mabprachan is any indication, the reservoirs (and dams I assume) are nowhere near being full. I went by Mabrprachan the other day and was shocked at how much "green" I saw where there should have been water a couple meters deep. And the "dry" season is barely a month old ! And consumption is down (from normal) due to the lack of tourists.

I suspect Pattaya will be facing water restrictions soon after the New Year, if not before. Now is when they should be in there with excavators, digging out masses of accumulated soil and vegetation to increase the holding capacity of the reservoir (and others like it).

Do it now while it is starting to dry out so it will be done and settled a bit before the next rainy season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

2020-21 is going to be a La Nina year, and if strong enough, and it is looking like a strong one, Thailand might see a repeat of 2010-11 floods, so drought probably not on the cards regardless of what the Office of the National Water Resources says will happen

I do hope so as where I live in rural Kamphaeng Phet the government water usually dies out in January to June, and we then get supplied by the fire truck.

7 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

[Deleted reply.

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

We are going to be hurting for water (again) very soon.

The Rainy season is over and if Mabprachan is any indication, the reservoirs (and dams I assume) are nowhere near being full. I went by Mabrprachan the other day and was shocked at how much "green" I saw where there should have been water a couple meters deep. And the "dry" season is barely a month old ! And consumption is down (from normal) due to the lack of tourists.

I suspect Pattaya will be facing water restrictions soon after the New Year, if not before. Now is when they should be in there with excavators, digging out masses of accumulated soil and vegetation to increase the holding capacity of the reservoir (and others like it).

Do it now while it is starting to dry out so it will be done and settled a bit before the next rainy season.

Could you please try not to use common sense replies. TIT after all and common sense is rarely used in Thai government.

• Like 1

How about telling agencies to tackle the ever increasing air pollution THIS burning season? It’s not even December yet and air quality in parts of the North (Chiang Mai in particular) is starting to get poor already. Bangkok is even worse. What will it be like in February/March 2021? 

4 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

How about telling agencies to tackle the ever increasing air pollution THIS burning season? It’s not even December yet and air quality in parts of the North (Chiang Mai in particular) is starting to get poor already. Bangkok is even worse. What will it be like in February/March 2021? 

The burning makes money for some people..and no one seems to care about the environmental damage or people getting sick or dying from the toxic smoke.

The lack of water looses people money. Money is more important to most humans than people dying it seems.

9 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

[quote]These include 16 projects in the Eastern Economic Corridor, which raises water volume in the zone by 254 cubic metres.[/quote]

254 cubic metres for 16 projects seems trivial. That's about the same amount of water that one large house would hold. 

But the projects were very expensive....!...5 swimming pools of water and likely 50million each

Same every year. Nothing ever done. They're probably confused when one minute they are talking about drought prevention and a month later they are discussing flood prevention.

Should be OK here in Phuket where we've had plenty of rain and no pesky tourists using all the water!

• Like 1