Authorities probing why Thai woman with Covid-19 was not quarantined

rooster59

7 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

She must have been fully aware that anyone coming from Myanmar, or anywhere, needs to quarantine, but she very deliberately decided that didn't apply to her and somehow evaded the little 'inconvenience'.

Jail her for one year. The first month in solitary. Food pushed through a hole in the door. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sophon said that 326 people had been in contact with the patient, of which 105 are in a high-risk group.

incorrect/wrong calculations, thus misleading information, how many these 326 were in contact with, and the ones in contact with these 326  had contact with.... and keep counting as the numbers keep growing, it may be tens of thousands. There was another post advising/wishing Thailand  opening to more tourists and I wrote on that post for Thailand to be careful on what they wished for, had some sad and/or confused emojis, maybe these news will confirm my cautious advise/advice 555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'd hazard a guess she was already suffering from the "Do you know who my father is?" syndrome.

I hope she gets the book thrown at her. If this has spread. then expect Chiang Mai and other northern provinces to go into lockdown and travel to be limited. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

She must have been fully aware that anyone coming from Myanmar, or anywhere, needs to quarantine, but she very deliberately decided that didn't apply to her and somehow evaded the little 'inconvenience'. Not unusual, as Thais very often believe that the law doesn't apply to them. She also quite deliberately put others at risk due to her own selfishness. Is endangering public safety a criminal offence in Thailand, I wonder? Certainly she needs jail time to give her the opportunity to reflect on her selfishness, and perhaps she can be put to work cleaning the drains in the street as we sometimes see prisoners doing. Just something for her to remember next time she thinks she's above the law.

Methinks your post would look better like that:

"She must have been fully aware that anyone coming from Myanmar, or anywhere, needs to quarantine, but she very deliberately decided that didn't apply to her and somehow evaded the little 'inconvenience'. Not unusual, as Thais very often believe that the law doesn't apply to them. She also quite deliberately put others at risk due to her own selfishness. Is endangering public safety a criminal offence in Thailand, I wonder? Certainly she needs jail time to give her the opportunity to reflect on her selfishness, and perhaps she can be put to work cleaning the drains in the street as we sometimes see prisoners doing. Just something for her to remember next time she thinks she's above the law."

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Confused 3

Just now, Boomer6969 said:

Not unusual, as Thais very often believe that the law doesn't apply to them

To be fair....what the law actually says, what it is intended to do and to whom it applies are all open to interpretation of various bodies and dependent on the size of any brown envelopes in circulation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These things happen all over this beautiful planet. The entire world has forgotten that one 'prominent' person crept out of quarantine in a couple of days.

Yes, human memory is selective and the time is variable - no ethics.

11 minutes ago, ravip said:

These things happen all over this beautiful planet. The entire world has forgotten that one 'prominent' person crept out of quarantine in a couple of days.

Yes, human memory is selective and the time is variable - no ethics.

Great whataboutery, but unfortunately I am only concerned about Thailand because that is where I live, where my business is and where my friends are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Exactly, she showed symptoms...

luckily she was the ONLY one, symptoms or not, who avoided detection....

I am sure the news will report on every and all case...... 

Please, go back to CM and spend all your money......the water is safe, and that really was Jaws that washed up on shore.....oh, it was only a 0.5 meter shark?  yea, that was Jaws!!!! Shut up!!!  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Exactly, she showed symptoms...

luckily she was the ONLY one, symptoms or not, who avoided detection....

I am sure the news will report on every and all case...... 

Please, go back to CM and spend all your money......the water is safe, and that really was Jaws that washed up on shore.....oh, it was only a 0.5 meter shark?  yea, that was Jaws!!!! Shut up!!!  

Have a trip planned for next week for 4 days.  This story does not change my plans.  We do not plan on making changes to our itinerary.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fairly serious situation, in terms of keeping Thailand's Covid response reputation intact, given the number of people she interacted with.

I expect it will be well covered and be very interesting how quickly they can squash this outbreak, as clearly there will have been some transmissions.

Edited by Donga

56 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Methinks your post would look better like that:

"She must have been fully aware that anyone coming from Myanmar, or anywhere, needs to quarantine, but she very deliberately decided that didn't apply to her and somehow evaded the little 'inconvenience'. Not unusual, as Thais very often believe that the law doesn't apply to them. She also quite deliberately put others at risk due to her own selfishness. Is endangering public safety a criminal offence in Thailand, I wonder? Certainly she needs jail time to give her the opportunity to reflect on her selfishness, and perhaps she can be put to work cleaning the drains in the street as we sometimes see prisoners doing. Just something for her to remember next time she thinks she's above the law."

How many quarantine hotels in Mai Sai?

This is being discussed in CM forums in Thai also - obviously not same person, so we have at least 2 cases now.

image.png.81c9840a69f3b91010a9cf7ce1c07b9a.png

In summary, 26 year old, crossed natural border from Myanmar at Mae Sai, didn't go for state quarantine, found positive today.

Edited by tomazbodner

6 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've stayed near the border checkpoint before.  On the left as you are looking at Myanmar. People crossed the river there illegally all night.  Some just waded across, others got into huge bins and were taken across.  I've seen this also happen in many places around Thailand.  It's a very porous border.

And some people in Thailand would not want for it to be any other way.

Sounds like she is deliberately infecting people. She came back because she was sick .. But she still went shopping, spent time out with friends in social settings, went on public transport and taxis ... Then she went to hospital after two days of running around Chang Mai infecting all and sundry. 
lock her up and throw the key away. 

• Like 2

Re the PCR test:

It is perfectly suitable for identifying people who harbor (and thus could spread) the virus. Not usually  appropriate for mass use in the general population (impractical, not cost effective) but can be appropriate for specific groups of people i.e. care home residents and employees, and known contacts of infected people.

Contact tracing and testing (with quarantine period in case of very close contacts) is standard tool for containing spread. To track down contacts and not test them would not make sense given that people are highly infectious prior to the onset of symptoms and even infectious when remaining asymptomtic.

Many countries (with higher rates of COVID than Thailand, of course) now require routine testing in care homes (residents and employees) to allow early detection and quarantine of new cases and prevent infect (but asymptomatic) staff from infecting residents. this is proving highly effective.

Edited by onthedarkside
removed post quote removed
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

This is being discussed in CM forums in Thai also - obviously not same person, so we have at least 2 cases now.

image.png.81c9840a69f3b91010a9cf7ce1c07b9a.png

In summary, 26 year old, crossed natural border from Myanmar at Mae Sai, didn't go for state quarantine, found positive today.

I think one and the same woman...unless this is the case in Chiang Rai?