New billboard tax rate to be implemented from Jan 1

rooster59

New billboard tax rate to be implemented from Jan 1

By THE NATION

800_4e8fdb169011722.jpg

The government has revised the tax rate for signs and billboards that had been used since 1992 to suit the current economy.

The Ministry of Interior recently announced a regulation regarding the tax rate under the Sign Board Tax Act BE 2535 (1992).

The regulation, signed by Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paochinda, stipulates the new tax rate as follows:

▪︎ Signs and billboards that have only text in Thai will be taxed at Bt5 per 500 square centimetre and Bt10 per 500sq.cm. if the text can move or shuffle.

▪︎ Signs and billboards that have Thai text mixed with foreign text, pictures or other symbols will be taxed at Bt26 per 500sq.cm. and Bt52 per 500sq.cm. if the text/pictures/symbols can move or shuffle.

• Signs and billboards that have no Thai text or have Thai text in a lower position than foreign text will be taxed at Bt50 per 500sq.cm. and Bt52 per 500sq.cm. if the text/pictures/symbols can move or shuffle.

The new rate will be effective from January 1, 2021.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398742

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-29

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Sign Tax doesn't only apply to Billboards. Dual priced signage tax has been implemented for at least the 20 years I have been here and that includes shop front and bars. The tax is applied at a local level, Or Bor Tor. TW was charged for a small multilingual sign she had for her hair dressing business in front of our home here in the Isaan rice paddies.

Very true. The GoGo bar I had had to pay tax for the neon signs outside.
The sign-maker was aware the tax payment was 50% less as long as it had Thai script on it. Hence the neon signs were two metres by one metre, but with very small stick-on lettering (about 5% of the neon size) with the name in Thai script.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

• Signs and billboards that have no Thai text or have Thai text in a lower position than foreign text will be taxed at Bt50 per 500sq.cm. and Bt52 per 500sq.cm. if the text/pictures/symbols can move or shuffle

Jesus I'm glad this lot are not in charge of lady drink price suggestions .. 

Will it depend on who's consuming the drink or who ordered it? If the latter, get the girl to order the drinks, but on your tab.

You need to play them at their own game: "have Thai text in a lower position than foreign text" - more than ten times the tax rate of only Thai script.
Luckily, the Thai plastic lettering on the Neon sign for our GoGo was right at the top of the sign so you could hardly see it (sized at 5% the size of the neon sign itself).

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Will it depend on who's consuming the drink or who ordered it? If the latter, get the girl to order the drinks, but on your tab.

Or take a half bottle of yer' tipple in your back pocket with you .. I don't do the alcohol so my entrance into bars and ordering a bottle of water would draw the daggers look offa Mamasan .. though I might occasionally accept a twist of lemon ( green one ) in the top of my water San Miguel style .. 

But the maxing out of price for non Thai stuff is not in line with getting foreign investment into Thailand .. 

especially if you are getting well gouged and your avert ind's up mismelt .. 

20 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Re my previous post, which will not edit............It is not cheaper because the Thai text is in small letters in one corner...........:sad:

Why do you say it isn't cheaper?

Now it was a few years ago, but the sign-writer of his own volition added the small Thai script because he said it made the sign tax cheaper.

When the official from city hall came along, he too agreed and charged us the 'normal' price, rather than the higher rate for a Latin script-only sign.

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Why do you say it isn't cheaper?

Now it was a few years ago, but the sign-writer of his own volition added the small Thai script because he said it made the sign tax cheaper.

When the official from city hall came along, he too agreed and charged us the 'normal' price, rather than the higher rate for a Latin script-only sign.

Hi Blue,

I was only going on what I read in the article......................

Quote..........

• Signs and billboards that have no Thai text or have Thai text in a lower position than foreign text will be taxed at Bt50 per 500sq.cm. and Bt52 per 500sq.cm. if the text/pictures/symbols can move or shuffle.

I was assuming that our sign, having small Thai text, would be charged more. Will have to check when we get the new tax bills for our signs.....:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

Hi Blue,

I was only going on what I read in the article......................

Quote..........

I was assuming that our sign, having small Thai text, would be charged more. Will have to check when we get the new tax bills for our signs.....:thumbsup:

Oh, OK.

The Thai text on our neon signs was in a higher position (by coincidence I think) and as one sign was about 2.5 metres above the ground and the other two about 5 metres, the Thai was hardly noticeable anyway, not that it mattered as I said earlier:

"Luckily, the Thai plastic lettering on the Neon sign for our GoGo was right at the top of the sign so you could hardly see it (sized at 5% the size of the neon sign itself)."

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Does that include the ones for local politicians erected at most busy junctions so as to obscure the view of on-coming traffic?

That's a good point.

We've just come back from Hua Hin, some election 'posters' there were placed across the entire width of the pavement and were about a metre and a half from the ground, meaning you had to walk in the road to get past.

Oops, forgot, most Thais don't walk anywhere, so it doesn't matter.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

2 hours ago, tgw said:

these policies are daft. if anything, bilingual signs should be the cheapest.

Surely more customers mean the government want their cut.

The government think whatever you're selling in a non-Thai language must mean you're making loads of money, therefore they want some.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

• Haha 1