Thai Parents at the Beach

EVENKEEL

I go to the beach quite often to swim. This is a local beach with a raised sea wall so when you're sitting under the trees you can't see the kids to good. You hardly ever see the parent in the water playing with the kids much less keeping an eye on them. I would never think of letting my kid play in the water without me there and she can swim well. It's the Thai style.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

I guess you should read RJRS1301 comment, but that is something you already should know if you are living in Thailand. 

Instead of insinuating that people here are stupid, don´t care and are behaving in an unforgivable way, maybe you should just learn the culture a little bit better.

This isn't kids riding bikes, it's kids playing in the ocean who can't swim and many times playing alone. The ocean can behave in erratic and unforgivable ways. I stand by my comments they are acting in a stupid and unforgivable way. Seems like the upper class are more into playing with the kids.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This isn't kids riding bikes, it's kids playing in the ocean who can't swim and many times playing alone. The ocean can behave in erratic and unforgivable ways. I stand by my comments they are acting in a stupid and unforgivable way. Seems like the upper class are more into playing with the kids.

and yet after countless generations....enough kids manage to survive to perpetuate the race.....I guess it hasn't made a dent

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Look at parents letting their kids ride motor bikes, same same.

I rest my case, you see it multiple times every single day.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Look at parents letting their kids ride motor bikes, same same.

I rest my case, you see it multiple times every single day.

I guess that doesn't bother me as much with kids riding motorbikes. Perhaps because I rode a mini-bike and a Honda 90 when I was 11 yrs old. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Try to be a parent to your kids and not to other's kids and you'll feel better. They don't need your input

This is an anonymous forum to voice our opinion. I'll continue to think Thai parents are lacking.

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looking at your picture how would you call people who ride big bikes without helmet? 

Stupidity comes to my mind...

This is about kids, as for myself I've done way more stupid things than ride without a helmet. For longer distance I wear a bell helmet, around the block I wear flip flops and a ball cap.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO Thai parents are far better than western parents. They give kids loads of attention, unlike western parents I know.

Can't make comparisons as people will label you a Thai apologist.  ????

Oh, and child obesity in the US is around 14 million.  Irresponsible lazy parents creating a future of fatness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Can't make comparisons as people will label you a Thai apologist.  ????

Oh, and child obesity in the US is around 14 million.  Irresponsible lazy parents creating a future of fatness.

The same is happening right here in Thailand. Seems to be happening to parents with money. Maybe healthier to be poor.

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This is an anonymous forum to voice our opinion. I'll continue to think Thai parents are lacking.

I think all parents are lacking some way. It's just different in different cultures. IMO it's because we don't know what we are doing and everyone learns from scratch. No one HAS to do a uni course on parenting before having kids, and yet it's probably the most important thing anyone can do.

I'd like to see compulsory parenting courses if we can't make people not have any without a licence to prove they can bring up kids properly.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

As a kid I swam with mates in the ocean, in pools and in rivers without mummy and daddy. 
Some of my friends had motorbikes.

We all road our BMXs without helmets.

We could roam around as long as we were home for dinner. 

Helicopter parenting produces mentally and physically weak kids that can not cope in the real world.

B420B0C2-B3A2-4E73-BDD3-A36A4C929C44.jpeg

Well said.

My western BIL won't let his 2 kids do the same things he did as a child. One is obese and the other is horrible.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The same is happening right here in Thailand. Seems to be happening to parents with money. Maybe healthier to be poor.

Not in NZ. Some poor people eat takeaways every night and are obese. Shame to see the fat kids never had a chance, IMO- diabetes and heart problems await them, IMO. Diabetes is a major health problem in NZ and going to get worse.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

As a kid I swam with mates in the ocean, in pools and in rivers without mummy and daddy. 
Some of my friends had motorbikes.

We all road our BMXs without helmets.

We could roam around as long as we were home for dinner. 

Helicopter parenting produces mentally and physically weak kids that can not cope in the real world.

B420B0C2-B3A2-4E73-BDD3-A36A4C929C44.jpeg

I grew up much the same way in the country. We swam in canals, gone all day alone or with friends at a very young age. No seat belts, no kid seats.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I grew up much the same way in the country. We swam in canals, gone all day alone or with friends at a very young age. No seat belts, no kid seats.

All boomers grew up much like that, but the grand/ great grand kids are protected from all harm, except obesity. What went wrong?

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

And people wonder why there's a generation of snow flakes appearing.

I agree about the snowflakes, but what I see are parents who take their kids to the sea and don't bother to watch them. Chances are they can't swim and who wouldn't want to play with their kids. We made sure ours can swim well but the ocean is unforgiving and not to be tempted.