Thai Parents at the Beach

EVENKEEL

3 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Er, ok.

You have Thai parents?

I have a problem with a 5 and 7 yr old being left alone in the water. If I wasn't a beach person this would never cross my mind but since I see it daily it pisses me off. 

5 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Thai's will always do things the "Thai way". Let them be! Up to them!

I'm all about the Thai way, no helmets on motorbike, no seatbelts, no problem for me. Maybe because I know more than many how dangerous the ocean can be if you don't respect it.

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

If you worry so much about the way Thai's operate, you're in for a troubled life!

I pretty much live a blessed life steps away from the beach, plenty of money, healthy, but thank you for your concern.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Except in Thailand. Part of Pattaya was full of a certain ethnicity driving large m'bikes too fast and without helmets.

Your knowledge only seems to be of Pattaya, you should get out more.

When i travel all over thailand i'd say close to 100% of big big riders that tour wear appropriate riding gear.

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Your knowledge only seems to be of Pattaya, you should get out more.

When i travel all over thailand i'd say close to 100% of big big riders that tour wear appropriate riding gear.

That's scorn if you didn't know.

So you saw 1 rider wearing gear so that makes it 100%.

I've travelled all over LOS and big bike riders are almost never seen. One that had travelled all over LOS would know that.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's scorn if you didn't know.

So you saw 1 rider wearing gear so that makes it 100%.

I've travelled all over LOS and big bike riders are almost never seen. One that had travelled all over LOS would know that.

You've no idea what you're talking about.

Big bikes ( particularly this time of year ) are seen everywhere you go.

Honest mate, try getting out more, it's amazing what you see...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

it's kids playing in the ocean who can't swim and many times playing alone.

The kid wasn't alone Buddha is with them and so was you to see the kid alone.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I pretty much live a blessed life steps away from the beach, plenty of money, healthy, but thank you for your concern.

The truly blessed IMO are those that don't worry about things that don't concern them and that they can't change.

Just a thought, but don't go looking at kids too much. In these strange days it could be mistaken for something unpleasant.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:
1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's also called stupidity, carelessness and unforgivable if they drown.

Only to you. To them it's Karma.

But I have a feeling Karma is the last thing on a mothers mind while holding her just drowned toddler in her arms.

2 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

But I have a feeling Karma is the last thing on a mothers mind while holding her just drowned toddler in her arms.

Just as it would be if she allowed her child to ride a m'bike when 9 years old and they drove under a 10 wheeler. They live differently in LOS and if we worried about everything they do we'd spend our days stressed to the max, but without actually changing anything.

As a kid, I climbed tall trees, swam in Port Philip Bay out to the Cerberus shipwreck, rode my bicycle to school in the traffic. Don't think they even had bicycle helmets then. All unsupervised. Most of the time, I went around barefoot, more comfortable than shoes and socks.

I believe it's called Darwinian selection.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO Thai parents are far better than western parents. They give kids loads of attention, unlike western parents I know.

Too much attention and unjust praise in childhood creates a society of ignorant/arrogant despots and tyrants.

If we treat kids in such a manner when they are young we will end up with a society filled with know it all rulers, unwilling to listen and blindingly sure of their own superiority.

Oh, wait a minute... ???? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Too much attention and unjust praise in childhood creates a society of ignorant/arrogant despots and tyrants.

If we treat kids in such a manner when they are young we will end up with a society filled with know it all rulers, unwilling to listen and blindingly sure of their own superiority.

Oh, wait a minute... ???? 

While Thai parents and other adults are very "cuddly" with children, I doubt they indulge in the unjust praise and "everyone is a winner" insanity that is so toxic in western culture.

I certainly enjoyed the results with most of the ladies I met in LOS.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

We all have our pet worries. I'm worried there will come a time when sex and golf won't interest me anymore.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While Thai parents and other adults are very "cuddly" with children, I doubt they indulge in the unjust praise and "everyone is a winner" insanity that is so toxic in western culture.

Are you having a laugh?

Have you seen how they treat the young lads?

They can do no wrong and are treated like little gods whilst the girls are expected to conform and do their duties.

You don't think that is a 'toxic' and dangerous way to raise children?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I have a problem with a 5 and 7 yr old being left alone in the water. If I wasn't a beach person this would never cross my mind but since I see it daily it pisses me off. 

Please explain why you have a problem?

I am a so-so swimmer; I do have a open-water diver's permit (aka PADI certification), but in seriousness, I would not consider myself a Johnny Weissmuller.

I grew up, between the ages of 5-7, living just a 150 meters from the beach (Formia, Italy). I swam all the time in the water, never with an "attached" parent. 200 meters off-shore was a sandbar, and due to curiosity, that was my destination.

It bothers me that YOU have so little faith in the ability of kids to navigate (no pun intended) through life. YOU should lock yourself in a closet, seal thyself from the world, and just perish in one manner or another. If you have kids, they should be raised by someone with a backbone.

Edited by Gumballl
punctuation/grammar
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The truly blessed IMO are those that don't worry about things that don't concern them and that they can't change.

Just a thought, but don't go looking at kids too much. In these strange days it could be mistaken for something unpleasant.

That's more a western concern, I wouldn't call it worry as much as puzzlement. I think it's more of a poor man's way of parenting. I think the more affluent parents take a different approach. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Except in Thailand. Part of Pattaya was full of a certain ethnicity driving large m'bikes too fast and without helmets.

Caucasians?

57 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm all about the Thai way, no helmets on motorbike, no seatbelts, no problem for me. Maybe because I know more than many how dangerous the ocean can be if you don't respect it.

Maybe you should learn some more about how dangerous the roads can be if you don't respect them? It doesn't come across well saying "this form of negligence are fine but those aren't".

I'm sorry for whatever loss you had in the past to the ocean but be careful about letting it lead you to believe that it makes the ocean a special class of danger that people need to take extra care with, when I'm guessing statistics will show that other perils, which you seem happy to ignore, are far more dangerous.

17 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I am a so-so swimmer; I do have a open-water diver's permit (aka PADI certification), but in seriousness, I would not consider myself a Johnny Weissmuller.

I grew up, between the ages of 5-7, living just a 150 meters from the beach (Formia, Italy). I swam all the time in the water, never with an "attached" parent. 200 meters off-shore was a sandbar, and due to curiosity, that was my destination.

It bothers me that YOU have so little faith in the ability of kids to navigate (no pun intended) through life. YOU should lock yourself in a closet, seal thyself from the world, and just perish in one manner or another. If you have kids, they should be raised by someone with a backbone.

You're funny, I wonder why lifeguards are at beaches in many places. I'm pretty sure you don't have kids the way you speak. because you survived doesn't make it right.

22 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Ridiculous over the top post. I disagree with the OPs main thrust but that is just a pitiful personal attack on a person showing (too much) concern for the well-being of kids.

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You're funny, I wonder why lifeguards are at beaches in many places. I'm pretty sure you don't have kids the way you speak. because you survived doesn't make it right.

I do have two daughters.

In my days as a youth, and even into adulthood, there were no lifeguards. Sure, you will find lifeguards in the more congested/popular beach destinations, but not everywhere.

P.S. You did not answer my question...

Edited by Gumballl

14 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Caucasians?

Maybe you should learn some more about how dangerous the roads can be if you don't respect them? It doesn't come across well saying "this form of negligence are fine but those aren't".

I'm sorry for whatever loss you had in the past to the ocean but be careful about letting it lead you to believe that it makes the ocean a special class of danger that people need to take extra care with, when I'm guessing statistics will show that other perils, which you seem happy to ignore, are far more dangerous.

What I have is respect not fear, I've sailed the world's oceans for over 20 yrs. Any man who doesn't respect the sea is foolish.

• Like 1