pre- purchase used car inspection

rbmcn

Hello,

Thinking of buying a 2nd hand ( used) Mercedes Benz in Bangkok. I’m looking for a reliable, honest experienced mechanic who can check it out thoroughly. Has anyone found/ used such a service in  Bkk?  Grateful for suggestions.

Don't do it. A Mercedes will cost you 2-3 times any other brand in servicing and maintenance. If it's the kind of money ( newish ) you are thinking of paying, a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry is much better value. If it's an older Mercedes, you'll be shelling out a fortune keeping it on the road.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Don't do it. A Mercedes will cost you 2-3 times any other brand in servicing and maintenance. If it's the kind of money ( newish ) you are thinking of paying, a new Honda Accord or Toyota Camry is much better value. If it's an older Mercedes, you'll be shelling out a fortune keeping it on the road.

While I agree 100 %...the man wants a Mercedes and nothing you can say is going to deter him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:54 AM, rbmcn said:

Hello,

Thinking of buying a 2nd hand ( used) Mercedes Benz in Bangkok. I’m looking for a reliable, honest experienced mechanic who can check it out thoroughly. Has anyone found/ used such a service in  Bkk?  Grateful for suggestions.

If the car is less than three years old you can purchase extra years warranty from Mercedes.

For repairs outside of a Mercedes Dealership I can recommend Thomson garage in Bang Na

O ... and a Troll Post Removed!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been through this several times myself, it doesn't quite work like it does back in farangland. If you bring an outside mechanic with you to the caryard the Thais at the caryard will talk to your mechanic and influence him. And if you speak Thai they'll talk in a dialect to lose you. They'll pull nationalism on him (support Thai not farang) I once got around this by bringing an English mechanic I met, but his Thai wife told him the Thais will get him one night and beat the cr*p out of him, so he freaked and backed out. Another time the Thai mechanic I brought along wasn't truthful and advised me that a car was in great condition when it wasn't as he was planning on getting the repair work. Anyway, I bought a new car so I don't have to deal with this BS.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 6:54 AM, rbmcn said:

Hello,

If you're still looking I can point you to a reputable dealer that offers inspection and a proper warranty.  Believe it or not, there are some trustworthy second hand dealers.

On 1/14/2021 at 6:23 AM, TSF said:

Been through this several times myself, it doesn't quite work like it does back in farangland. If you bring an outside mechanic with you to the caryard the Thais at the caryard will talk to your mechanic and influence him. And if you speak Thai they'll talk in a dialect to lose you. They'll pull nationalism on him (support Thai not farang) I once got around this by bringing an English mechanic I met, but his Thai wife told him the Thais will get him one night and beat the cr*p out of him, so he freaked and backed out. Another time the Thai mechanic I brought along wasn't truthful and advised me that a car was in great condition when it wasn't as he was planning on getting the repair work. Anyway, I bought a new car so I don't have to deal with this BS.

I can't speak to all of "farang land" but it does not work that well in the US. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BBJ said:

If you're still looking I can point you to a reputable dealer that offers inspection and a proper warranty.  Believe it or not, there are some trustworthy second hand dealers.

If you are still looking I’ll sell you mine, less than two years old, and it’s now with MB to sort out some battery alarm, they want four days to do it!