Foreigners stranded in Thailand due to COVID-19 can now stay until at least 29 Jan 2021

rooster59

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont have any problem with people choosing to stay, claiming they are stranded etc when they are not. If you can stay, knock yourself out.

'

BUT" eventually it may lead to the shutdown of extensions for genuinely stranded tourists.

If the Thai government realises that they are providing extensions for people who can get home, or new tourist arrivals are starting to claim stranded status, I can see a situation where they will shut it down.

Most immigration measures come about as a response to the system being abused, bogus income letters, agents lending funds, 27 back to back tourist visa's etc etc.

Again, I dont care less how people are staying in Thailand, but dont be surprised if it gets shut down because to many non- stranded tourists are staying.

I got another extension last week - I didn't claim I was stranded and neither was I asked - I Just gave them the required paperwork

Most of your post makes no sense to be honest - of course these extensions will be "Shut down"at some point - I think that's obvious however it will be nothing to do with people claiming they are stranded when they are not - if they were really concerned about that they would have asked for cancelled  flight tickets etc

The extensions are not just for people who are stranded here - they are actually also for people who don't want to go home - the affidavidt form some people were asked to sign proves that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Most immigration measures come about as a response to the system being abused, bogus income letters, agents lending funds, 27 back to back tourist visa's etc etc.

Again, I dont care less how people are staying in Thailand, but dont be surprised if it gets shut down because to many non- stranded tourists are staying.

LOL... tell that to all the agents and the 'volunteer visa' crew who have been abusing the system for YEARS

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Not any surprise. Would've been madness to kick them out, for many reasons. 

They can't be kicked out if the receiving country has closed borders.

Thailand should be thankful they have some that are still here and are spending money.

• Like 1

The Immigration policy has nothing to do with being 'stranded'. The affidavit allows as a reason simply "Covid-19".

No one is 'abusing' the system, because Immigration created the system that allows even those on Tourist Visas to get an additional extension simply because Covid is bad most everywhere, save for Thailand and precious few other nations. No one is being hoodwinked; Immigration is exhibiting some combination of understanding, generosity and practicality. Those still in Thailand on Tourist Visas clearly can afford it, so they are adding something, even if it amounts to less than a rounding error, in the moribund Thai economy.

I assume those like me, waiting on a different type of visa, or even those just enjoying what Immigration has allowed, are not causing any trouble and paying our bills on time. I'm paying a discounted 75,000 baht a month for my lovely hotel, I eat out every dinner or use a delivery service, I drink a beer here and there, have bought clothes as well as essential toiletries, and have rented a car 17 times since March for short trips to Isaan, Kanchanaburi and Pattaya. My hotel and the restaurants I frequent seem to appreciate my custom, and since I am not alone in this situation, I have to assume the collective 'us' is saving jobs of Thai people here and there, which can only be a good thing. Spending money is a way of giving back to the country that has allowed us this privilege during an unprecedented time in modern world history.

Yes, at some point it will end. If my new visa comes through by then I will stay, and if not I will leave as requested. Until then, Thailand and Immigration have my thanks.

4 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I had a 60 day stamp until Nov. 26th.

This was crossed out and changed to Dec 30th for free.

Do I now go to the IO and they cross out this date and stamp Jan 29th? 

I went to Buriram IO November 25 and they took my money for another 60 day extension rather than crossing out the date and entering a new one.  I had previously been to the office a month ago when I read that the extension dates were being changed free of charge - the officers just shrugged and told me to go back when the 60 day extension expired and to apply for another 60 days and pay 1900B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

I have the feeling that in the meantime every foreigner in the country is important. I am just waiting that they say "Please don't fly back because we need your spendings here". 

I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

A pragmatic decision. At least the people who are actually here are spending money and at the moment the hurdles for coming to Thailand are horrendous and extremely expensive.

Yes, these extensions amount to a sort of Special Tourist Visa without all the internment and insurance hassles.

51 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

So, what? Do you have any problem with they staying? Does it affect you?

I dont have any problem at all but i can see problems if all the current tourist arrivals just decide to stay. .

Then immigration will shut it down to the detriment of genuinely stranded.

I was responding to a poster who said everyone should just be able to stay, which I dont think is the original intention of the extensions, and may result in the extensions being canned. 

31 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont have any problem at all but i can see problems if all the current tourist arrivals just decide to stay. .

Then immigration will shut it down to the detriment of genuinely stranded.

I was responding to a poster who said everyone should just be able to stay, which I dont think is the original intention of the extensions, and may result in the extensions being canned. 

Ok! Why would that pose a problem? I am pretty sure they want as many as possible to stay and use their money in the Thai economy at present situation.

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason

1 hour ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Ok! Why would that pose a problem? I am pretty sure they want as many as possible to stay and use their money in the Thai economy at present situation.

It doesn't pose a problem for me other than I dont think it is the intention of Thai immigration, if thats what they want they can start stamping all new arrivals  a stay until Jan 29.

Possibly the extensions have been introduced, and keep getting extended, to encourage people to stay. They haven't presented it as the intention. 

Edited by Peterw42

19 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I dont have any problem with people choosing to stay, claiming they are stranded etc when they are not. If you can stay, knock yourself out.

'

BUT" eventually it may lead to the shutdown of extensions for genuinely stranded tourists.

If the Thai government realises that they are providing extensions for people who can get home, or new tourist arrivals are starting to claim stranded status, I can see a situation where they will shut it down.

The Thai government only cares about the money the "stranded" tourists are spending.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, BigFun said:

You mean as they did on 26th Sept, and then changed their minds, but too late. 

Yes it's always a last second amnesty extention. I didn't want to risk the immigration not issuing  an extention so I applied for a 60 day extention and excepted at 1900 Baht .Now I have a visa covering the an amnesty period and the amnesty period visa. I wander now many are in the same situation .

It's a very crafty move  from the Government. No doubt any of them reading this has brought a big smirk on their face. Never mind we live for another day..

On 11/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, EricTh said:

In fact, I did meet one of these not genuinely stranded at immigration recently, she wrote 'it is not safe to go back' on her application form to extend her tourist visa. 

But she told me she is teaching English online on a tourist visa in Thailand, go figure.

This is the real purpose, earning money while living on low cost of living.

Dont know where in thailand you live but it aint cheap here in bangkok.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:37 PM, Raphus said:

I am starting to believe that the Thai immigration are scared they will catch Covid from tourists and they don’t want people in immigration offices only unless it is necessary. So they just keep extending.

They didnt seem to have issues with a few folks in the office yesterday at mtt 

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

these farang over stayers can afford to eat and sleep but cannot afford to leave????   Really??  THat's impressive!  Wish we all had that problem. 

Sucks to be you then. 

And who is overstaying? my stamp is current.