American initiating Social Security payments from Thailand. (Help)

Are you trying to start SS or just getting the money to here. I have mine put in my US bank and use Transferwise to transfer to here when I need it. SS will send to Bangkok Bank, but you have to set that up with SS and the bank I think.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Are you trying to start SS or just getting the money to here. I have mine put in my US bank and use Transferwise to transfer to here when I need it. SS will send to Bangkok Bank, but you have to set that up with SS and the bank I think.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, hereforgood said:

Do you still have a US address or one that you can use family maybe ? If so you do not have to deal with Manila SS or even talk to anyone. It is better as well as SS sends out a are you still alive letter that has to be filled in and returned if you are using a address out of the US.

Took me no more than 15 mins to apply on their site on line and the deposits started as they should 

Their internet does not work from Thailand.  Maybe it is just a problem with my computer?  That is a good idea to use an address in America.  Did you access them via the internet when you applied?  Did you  have to send photos of your documents?

10 hours ago, Bearhawk07 said:

Their internet does not work from Thailand.  Maybe it is just a problem with my computer?  That is a good idea to use an address in America.  Did you access them via the internet when you applied?  Did you  have to send photos of your documents?

I applied this year...all online...never needed to speak to anyone...internet works from Thailand. I send to American bank acct (brokerage) and then transfer here as needed. Easiest way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, tonray said:

I applied this year...all online...never needed to speak to anyone...internet works from Thailand. I send to American bank acct (brokerage) and then transfer here as needed. Easiest way

i was reading up on this process last week.  the article stated there were a bunch of original documents that must be mailed in (will be returned later) to apply.  is that now out of date?

4 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i was reading up on this process last week.  the article stated there were a bunch of original documents that must be mailed in (will be returned later) to apply.  is that now out of date?

I did not need to mail anything in. I think only in some cases where your status must be challenged. Do you have an account to check your status and estimated benefit ? If not that is the first thing you should do.

• Thanks 2