Have already extended multi-entry O 60 days, need to extend my permission a short time for medical reason/emergency

Hoo boy.

My wife and I are scheduled to travel to the US in two days.  We have overnight train tickets to BKK leaving tonight, and due to the flight time, if we miss the train, we miss the flight in BKK.  Last night and this morning wife is vomiting (including water), nauseous, weak, and wiped out....looks like stomach virus or food poisoning...we're heading to the hospital in a few.  She clearly can't fly, nor would she likely be allowed to by her appearance even if we were insane enough to try.

We'll move our plane/train tickets by a week or so, no problem, but my wife is VERY worried about my permission to stay, which expired Nov. 25 on a multi-entry non O, and has already been extended 60 days at the local immigration office once, which is apparently all you can do.  Last time we were there a couple weeks ago, they said something about the only way to extend past that at this point is a letter from my US embassy, which according to 

Frequently Asked Questions | U.S. Embassy & Consulate in Thailand

the embassy won't provide anymore. 

I know that I could overstay longer and pay the fee at the airport immigration counter on leaving, but if for some bizarre reason my Nov. 25 stamp is checked by an official sometime in the next week or so before I'm at the airport, well, the official law says I get a 5-year ban and possible jail. 

I'm personally not worried about it, but would prefer to extend it properly if it's not insanely difficult.  Please note also that my local immigration office is notoriously officious and stubborn, and tend not to give an inch or give a farang the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for any help!

If you were not already on overstay it would be fairly simple:  Get a letter from the hospital stating your wife's condition and that she is unable to travel, and requesting visa extension for her and you as her relative/care taker.Take it to immigration along with your and her passport. Also bring along a photo of her in the hospital, some IOs want this. (It is best if she is admitted, even if just for a day or too).

However the fact that you are already on overstay complicates matters, better see what @UbonJoe says.

You could apply for a 60 day extension now. No need for a letter from the embassy. You will complete and sign a affidavit stating the reason for needing the extension. Much easier than trying to get a medical extension.

Where are you at now?

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension now. No need for a letter from the embassy. You will complete and sign a affidavit stating the reason for needing the extension. Much easier than trying to get a medical extension.

Where are you at now?

We live in Nong Khai.  They are not a helpful office, so I don't have high hopes, especially since I'm on four days overstay now.  When there was an immigration policy change a couple weeks ago about all extensions now being valid starting from Nov. 1 forward regardless of date of extension (we extended Sept. 8 or so), we went there to get clarification and they told us no, the original extension date of Nov. 25 stands, and that it wouldn't be Nov. 1 + 60 days = Dec 30.  They then said we couldn't extend additionally without a letter from the US embassy.  It doesn't feel like it matters if we're right, Joe...you know the latitude IO's have, and they don't always know or interpret the law uniformly, as you also know.  I've seen reports here of other IO's telling people in similar situations to me that Dec. 30 is the new permission date due to the new policy.  Also, since we've asked recently if my date is extended, they may feel suspicious of a new attempt to extend and try to block us.  

If I go there on four days' overstay tomorrow, is that considered "surrendering" to Immigration, as opposed to being caught?  I'm a little worried about what they could do.

20 minutes ago, ramr said:

When there was an immigration policy change a couple weeks ago about all extensions now being valid starting from Nov. 1 forward regardless of date of extension (we extended Sept. 8 or so), we went there to get clarification and they told us no,

The November 1st date was really for those that applied in October. So they were technically correct.

They should of offered to the 60 day extension when you went to immigration. I am sure they know about the 60 day extensions since the original memo for them was dated September 29th. And it has now extended to January 29th.

20 minutes ago, ramr said:

If I go there on four days' overstay tomorrow, is that considered "surrendering" to Immigration, as opposed to being caught?  I'm a little worried about what they could do.

It is considered as surrendering. It would be a fine of 2000 baht for a 4 day overstay.

All you can do is try for the extension.

If they don't do it you could apply for a extension, pay the 1900 baht fee and be granted 7 days to leave the country after paying the overstay fine.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

They were fine about it, though about as cordial as they usually are.  Though after paying and getting my receipts, they are holding my passport until Friday, stating my extension will be "ready" then.  Weird, in ten years here, no IO has ever held my passport when doing their business.  They just get on with it in-office and send me on my way with my passport.  They grilled me a bit even after showing the note from the hospital, a photo of her sick, and my plane itineraries that I had to postpone, but I got the impression they were too busy and too stressed to bark too much.

Seeing how busy they were, and thinking about all the confusion and extra work this whole COVID thing must be wreaking on local offices has almost made me feel sorry for them.

Archived