60 Day Tourist Visa with a Longer Stay

Firstly, my apologies in advance if my question here has already been answered in previous posts. I have checked through this forum, but I'm still confused about my options.

I am an Australian citizen, 55 years old, currently stranded in Nepal. I have tried to return to Australia on repatriation flights and regular commercial flights without success (I have had 3 flights cancelled in the past 3 months).

I have contacted the Thai embassy here in Kathmandu, and was told I could apply for the 60 Day Tourist Visa. My understanding is that I can extend this visa for another 30 days, which would give me 90 days in Thailand. The question that concerns me is what options do I have after the 90 days if I am still prevented from travelling back to Australia? I would prefer to remain in Thailand, but I'm not sure how I could do this other than applying for a new visa outside the country, which may not be possible at that time.

I would greatly appreciate any of your expert advice that you could provide.

Cheers

If you could obtain a setv and enter Thailand then you could apply for non o based on retirement. The non O gives you 90 days.

You could even apply for annual extension in last 30 days of the non O permission of stay.

Of course there are all the requirements of COE, Quarantine etc.

2 hours ago, hopefc said:

Firstly, my apologies in advance if my question here has already been answered in previous posts. I have checked through this forum, but I'm still confused about my options.

I am an Australian citizen, 55 years old, currently stranded in Nepal. I have tried to return to Australia on repatriation flights and regular commercial flights without success (I have had 3 flights cancelled in the past 3 months).

I have contacted the Thai embassy here in Kathmandu, and was told I could apply for the 60 Day Tourist Visa. My understanding is that I can extend this visa for another 30 days, which would give me 90 days in Thailand. The question that concerns me is what options do I have after the 90 days if I am still prevented from travelling back to Australia? I would prefer to remain in Thailand, but I'm not sure how I could do this other than applying for a new visa outside the country, which may not be possible at that time.

I would greatly appreciate any of your expert advice that you could provide.

Cheers

The Australian embassy in Thailand is quite active. They have been doing weekly fl8ghts to Sydney with 30 people on board. They say there are around 1000 people waiting but not sure if all eant to fly. They say  they will continue till  March . There is talk of the caps increasing and there is also talk of Qantas repat flights to NT. I read in the general news on the forum today that the Thai Government has extended tourist visas again. I know Dr Jack said if you fulfil financial requirements you could get a visa but there are also agents who could help you to get a visa for a fee. If you want to return to Australia you would have a pretty good chance getting back by the time any visa options are gone.  There are several active pages on facebook-Australia in Thailand (the Embassy Page) and (Australians in Thailand ). I guess you would find more info there. ????

Thank you both for your replies. DrJack54,  it is the SETV I will be applying for here in Nepal.  Am I able to apply for the non O based on retirement while I am in Thailand, or does that have to be done in my home country? I know there is the financial requirement (800,000 in a Thai Bank account) for the retirement visa, but is it also required if I am applying inside Thailand for the non O permission of stay as you suggested? (It is so confusing!) Again, thanks for your help. 

9 minutes ago, hopefc said:

Thank you both for your replies. DrJack54,  it is the SETV I will be applying for here in Nepal.  Am I able to apply for the non O based on retirement while I am in Thailand, or does that have to be done in my home country? I know there is the financial requirement (800,000 in a Thai Bank account) for the retirement visa, but is it also required if I am applying inside Thailand for the non O permission of stay as you suggested? (It is so confusing!) Again, thanks for your help. 

You can apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration based upon qualifying for a extension of stay for retirement.

The 800k baht will need to be in the bank on the day you apply and you will need proof it was transferred from abroad.

Requirements are here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. The 800k baht will need to be in a Thai bank for 2 months on the day you apply.

30 minutes ago, hopefc said:

You can apply for the non o based on retirement inside Thailand at immigration and you require the 800k in Thai bank. 

Archived