Cataracts in dogs

Its about a week until I can take her to the vet so I thought I'd ask here for any thoughts.

I have a dog, not 6 yet who has what I think are cataracts, and I think she is if not blind definitely visually impaired. I've only just noticed, but i'm fairly certain its only been a couple of months. I have two much older dogs who have smaller ones that I have been watching but they seem to be more manageable. What will the vet do, dont feel inclined to pay for an operation if its very expensive or unlikely to work, does anybody have experience of this. I feel like I should take her, she is managing OK but there has been weight loss and some other issues. I thought it might be diabetes, maybe could help with diet or something, at a loss really, the dog seems depressed to say the least. 

My dog too had cataract (for  about 2 years or so). But, he managed to get about without any difficulty and lived for about 14 years. The  vet gave some drops, Chloramphenicol, if I remember right and did not encourage an operation, for whatever reason. 

But do be careful and be aware of other complications... diabetes, kidney issues etc. If he looses his appetite... hmmm... be careful.

This was my experience.

• Like 2

Hi Bluetongue   -  At 6 years old I would be concerned that your dogs’ cataracts - if bilateral - could be caused by an underlying hyperglycaemia ( Ie Diabetes). I think she is too young for senile cataracts, and too old for congenital cataracts. 

Definitely get her checked out - & no, if she is diabetic a simple diet change is unlikely to cut it! When we see DM in dogs it is not like type 2 Diabetes in people. If she has been drinking and peeing more than normal - she will most likely be diabetic.

Cataracts are irreversible , & glucose cataracts (normally very white in the lens -  as opposed to greyish colour with senile cataracts) develop very quickly. Stabilising blood sugar levels - with insulin treatment - can slow the cataract formation.

No creams or eye drops will help either.

Good luck with her .  ( Yes , I am a vet )

• Like 2

14 hours ago, G Rex said:

Hi Bluetongue   -  At 6 years old I would be concerned that your dogs’ cataracts - if bilateral - could be caused by an underlying hyperglycaemia ( Ie Diabetes). I think she is too young for senile cataracts, and too old for congenital cataracts. 

Definitely get her checked out - & no, if she is diabetic a simple diet change is unlikely to cut it! When we see DM in dogs it is not like type 2 Diabetes in people. If she has been drinking and peeing more than normal - she will most likely be diabetic.

Cataracts are irreversible , & glucose cataracts (normally very white in the lens -  as opposed to greyish colour with senile cataracts) develop very quickly. Stabilising blood sugar levels - with insulin treatment - can slow the cataract formation.

No creams or eye drops will help either.

Good luck with her .  ( Yes , I am a vet )

Thanks for that. I have noticed that she seems to drink a lot. I initially put that down to something else until I saw the reference to diabetes in something I was reading. It could be more complicated. You see she is lowest on the pecking order amongst my dogs and sort of avoids interaction with the others, who tend to all sleep near the water supply, so I put it down to that. She also had a miscarriage or a fake pregnancy earlier this year, most probably a miscarriage although I never saw it, and was overweight. Has now lost a lot of weight and condition which I put down to tapeworm infestation, which I have now treated. I will be taking her to the vet on Friday.

Hi again - if the increased thirst is only recent , & if her last heat was 2 - 3 months ago - she may have a pyrometra (an infection in the uterus) - anyway - I think it would be wise to get her checked out.  If you can take a urine sample less than 12 hours old (from your dog!) with you , that will aid in diagnosis.  Cheers ????

• Thanks 1