Carpenter, DIY furniture in Thailand (Bangkok)?

OneMoreFarang

I am thinking about buying a condominium in Bangkok and furnishing in the way I like it.

It will take at least 1/2 year before that might happen. But I think already about the possibilities.

Furniture is obviously an important part.

In the last days I looked randomly at lots of YouTube videos about home design and decoration and furniture and I also saw some videos how to build furniture.

It's some time ago that I worked with "large" wood parts but I did that when I was young in a country far away with a big garage and lots of tools.

Looking at below video I thought: I should be able to do that myself (with the right tools and space). And then I thought: Why should I do all that work myself when labor is cheap in Thailand. And now comes my question:

Are there (lots of) reliable carpenters in Bangkok who would produce something like that according to plan? If I give them a good plan would they produce the pieces of wood in the way I want it? Then I imagine I would be able to put the parts together by myself, probably with the help of a friend.

What do you think about this? How realistic, and cheap or expensive is this in Thailand?

Please keep in mind currently that is a theoretical project. I think about it and I want to know if that is a good idea. I didn't decide already I will do that and there is no hurry with this.

The video is interesting but obviously you don't have to watch it completely. Just skip through it.

I’m currently having a bed made by Hulta Design here in BKK.  It’s owned by a couple of German/Thai brothers who started it because as they told me, there wasn’t any decent well made furniture for good prices.  I was impressed by the quality when I saw their showroom and you have the option of many different woods.  They will also work with the customer on whatever design you might have.

https://hultadesign.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I’m currently having a bed made by Hulta Design here in BKK.  It’s owned by a couple of German/Thai brothers who started it because as they told me, there wasn’t any decent well made furniture for good prices.  I was impressed by the quality when I saw their showroom and you have the option of many different woods.  They will also work with the customer on whatever design you might have.

https://hultadesign.com

Thanks, that looks good.

But it seems expensive to my non-expert eyes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, that looks good.

It seems very clear that you haven’t looked at the prices of custom-made furniture. 
the design cost is exactly the same for a single piece as it is for 100.

the construction time is typically 5 ~ 10 x longer for a prototype. So along with other factors expect to pay something between 5 to 10 times the non custom price.

You can always buy IKEA and swap it out in a few years. ???? 

But if you want to choose semi custom go to wood street. They have a variety of designs you can select your wood and modify slightly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are there (lots of) reliable carpenters in Bangkok who would produce something like that according to plan?

5555555 ???? There are reliable joiners. You are unlikely to ever find one. They are already working for much much more money than you would be likely to want to pay.

Similar to good  electricians they are here but extremely difficult to find as they all have excellent jobs.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It seems very clear that you haven’t looked at the prices of custom-made furniture. 
the design cost is exactly the same for a single piece as it is for 100.

the construction time is typically 5 ~ 10 x longer for a prototype. So along with other factors expect to pay something between 5 to 10 times the non custom price.

You can always buy IKEA and swap it out in a few years. ???? 

But if you want to choose semi custom go to wood street. They have a variety of designs you can select your wood and modify slightly.

Thanks

Where is wood street and can you write a little more about it?

Luckily I am good with electric and electronic so I don't need one of them. And all those parts are relative small.

31 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

Wood str.......google it. It's in the Bang Sue area of Bangkok.

Thanks, it's wonderful that there is Google Street View...

A street with lots of wood related shops. That looks good.

WoodStreet.png.841038e8a22f30e4e4829b586099edb8.png

https://www.google.com/maps/search/wood+street/@13.809253,100.5186645,16z/data=!3m1!4b1

Edited by OneMoreFarang
pictures added

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, it's wonderful that there is Google Street View...

A street with lots of wood related shops. That looks good.

WoodStreet.png.841038e8a22f30e4e4829b586099edb8.png

https://www.google.com/maps/search/wood+street/@13.809253,100.5186645,16z/data=!3m1!4b1

It’s actually the whole area though soi 24 is the main one

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, that looks good.

Came across this slightly old thread after a google search. 

Hulta definitely charges more for their products and services because of the foreigner factor.

You can get equal quality by going to Wood Street but you’re going to need someone who can translate for you or better yet, have a Thai person go for you as they may up charge you if you’re a foreigner. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

You can get equal quality by going to Wood Street but you’re going to need someone who can translate for you or better yet, have a Thai person go for you as they may up charge you if you’re a foreigner. 

I have been able to communicate with most shops in English (some needed an interpreter) I haven’t been overcharged in my reasonably frequent visits 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 12:18 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I have been able to communicate with most shops in English (some needed an interpreter) I haven’t been overcharged in my reasonably frequent visits 

How do you know you’re not being overcharged? Do you know what you should expect from a labor and materials standpoint?

9 minutes ago, thenoilif said:

How do you know you’re not being overcharged?

Thai friends who have bought similar products from similar shops being charged similar prices, and items having price tags that in comparison to other shops are in the same general price area.

Not everyone charges a foreigner tax.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1