Computer speed?

Gandtee

I have Win 7 Basic computer.  I'm using AIS and getting Ping 71. Download 226.13. Upload 158.28. Is this reasonable? The server is Samut Prakan. I get a lot of Thai ad interruptions lately. Could changing server make a difference? I'm a computer dummy. Please don't make it complicated if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Ping 71ms would be VERY high. It should be less than 3ms. Ping is when your computer "calls" your next server and how long until the answer comes back. Kind of like phone answer time.

Upload and download numbers are incredibly good (assume Mbps?), you probably have a 300/300 contract? No need to change that.

Ads have nothing to do with your internet provider, they come with websites/ apps you visit / use. Thaivisa is one prime example of showing more and more ads to make money,  ignoring user experience completely. 

• Like 2

Now for Windows 7: You know that this version is no longer supported and can have any numbers of vulnerabilities that allow others to attack your computer and steal or delete all of your files?

Upgrade to Windows 10 immediately!!! Or change your computer to any other operating system like Mac or Linux. Since you write that you are a computer dummy,  Windows 10 is your best choice. 

• Like 1

OP, Where are you in relation to the server you are testing with ? Also is the server part of your internet provider ?

if you are in Chaing Mai with AIS and pinging a TOT server in Phuket, it could effect results.

AIS will have a speedtest with a local server

41 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Ads have nothing to do with your internet provider, they come with websites/ apps you visit / use. Thaivisa is one prime example of showing more and more ads to make money,  ignoring user experience completely. 

Couldnt pop-ups and redirects etc be effecting a browser based speedtest.

It could explain the large ping if the browser is full of rubbish and sending data to a server in kasikstan . 

• Like 1

If you getting those results you above many other countries. 

If you was trying download a torrent for instance that be higher than any Australian site.

Western countries have high regulations on internet providers to lay cables underground. 

This makes fibre to door expensive.

Thailand easy just hang another wire in the mess up there.

Anything above 100mbps can stream 8k.

I have 1GB connection still downloads of torrents are only up to 2mbs. 

Think 100mbs cool.

????????????

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Couldnt pop-ups and redirects etc be effecting a browser based speedtest.

It could explain the large ping if the browser is full of rubbish and sending data to a server in kasikstan . 

That sounds reasonable. I watch streamed films and Filmon for the BBC world news. There seems to be a lot of eastern bloc activity on them and redirects. What's the answer? How to clean up? Duh.

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Download 226.13. Upload 158.28.

The rates are good enough for all practical private use.

Whether you get what you pay for can only be answered if you tell what package at AIS have you subscribed?

70 ms ping is extraordinary bad within Thailand as already described above.

What method you use to measure speed?

Ads in browser is a completely separate topic. Nothing to do with server used for speed testing.

Edited by KhunBENQ

22 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

That sounds reasonable. I watch streamed films and Filmon for the BBC world news. There seems to be a lot of eastern bloc activity on them and redirects. What's the answer? How to clean up? Duh.

A program called malwarebytes is a good free cleanup tool, get rid of redirects in browser etc.

I think it still does win 7.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The rates are good enough for all practical private use.

Whether you get what you pay for can only be answered if you tell what package at AIS have you subscribed?

70 ms ping is extraordinary bad within Thailand as already described above.

What method you use to measure speed?

Ads in browser is a completely separate topic. Nothing to do with server used for speed testing.

Also, is this fibre or mobile?

It doesn't actually specify in the OP...

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Agreed that 71ms is ridiculously high, but less than 3ms depends on location, I’m getting between 4 & 10ms

I get 9 ms to Bangkok. 3 ms to Khon Kaen. Of course mainly depending on distance.

To Bangkok from every location within Thailand it should not be more than 15, maybe 20 ms.

37 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A program called malwarebytes is a good free cleanup tool, get rid of redirects in browser etc.

I think it still does win 7.

Only after infection.

He needs something to prevent them from reaching his PC in the first place. Simplest answer is to simply install a Browser that blocks them by default or allows you to block them by adding an appropriate extension

or

https://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, Where are you in relation to the server you are testing with ? Also is the server part of your internet provider ?

if you are in Chaing Mai with AIS and pinging a TOT server in Phuket, it could effect results.

AIS will have a speedtest with a local server

I'm in Sattahip with AIS and the server is Samut Prakan. I've downloaded Malwarebytes for free and it seems to have eased the problem somewhat. Thanks for the advice. My niece will be visiting next week and I'll get her to download Win 10. I don't want to <deleted> it up. Thanks to all who offered advice, Much appreciated.

• Confused 1

On 11/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Ping 71ms would be VERY high. It should be less than 3ms. Ping is when your computer "calls" your next server and how long until the answer comes back. Kind of like phone answer time.

Upload and download numbers are incredibly good (assume Mbps?), you probably have a 300/300 contract? No need to change that.

I have a work computer so I have to be careful what software I put on it. I am finding Thai Visa close to unusable in the last couple of months - it takes forever to load. Is there a way I can make it faster. I have Microsoft Edge as a browser. Thanks.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy