Dhara Dhevi Hotel ceases operations in Chiang Mai

webfact

Dhara Dhevi Hotel ceases operations in Chiang Mai

By The Nation

dd.jpg

File photo

The Dhara Dhevi Hotel Chiang Mai is shutting up shop due to the impact of Covid-19, which has dealt a blow to tourism. The hotel had announced its temporary closure due to the Covid-19 pandemic in May and October.

On November 23, Dhara Dhevi Hotel Chiang Mai sent termination letters to all hotel employees, citing the effects of the coronavirus outbreak.

Earlier, some 200 employees of the Dhara Dhevi Hotel had filed petitions with the governor of Chiang Mai and the Chiang Mai Provincial Labour Protection and Welfare Office several times that the management had postponed the reopening of the hotel and the payment of staff salaries.

As permanent closure has been announced, Dhara Dhevi Hotel is now waiting for the Legal Execution Department to sell its assets by auction early next year.

On November 18, the Appeal Court dismissed the petition for business reorganisation of Dhara Dhevi Hotel, which forced the hotel to enter bankruptcy.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398783

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-30

I taught 'Business English' to some of the female staff there when it first opened and there were no unattractive ladies amongst them either. It was a grand-enough place but like a lot of Thai-builds, it was let down by shoddy workmanship in many areas that I observed. Staff actually told me that when a certain well-known UK VIP (a prince) was staying there, he had to change rooms because the roof was leaking and, that it was not the only room with that water ingress problem. When you charge top $, customers expect the best. The other thing I always wondered was, why did they build it way out there where it is - in the middle of nowhere ? I doubt the location would be good for a shopping mall.

• Like 2

Kinda sad ...

It seemed like a beautiful hotel and I planned to visit it in the past, but it seemed very expensive though. Won't be able to go there in the future anymore it seems.

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

May be a good idea to call it " cultural heritage " and let people come and visit for a fee ?

At least some money would come in ...

Always surrounded by controversy when it was being built due to them copying an important Wat without permission.  I loved it and stayed there a couple of times in the early days when they were promoting it with good discounts.  After that used to eat there a fair bit when entertaining people.  Even had a friend from the States who held his daughters wedding there.

There are plenty of opportunities for it to be used in the future.  You just need somebody who can think outside of the box to take it over.

• Like 1