Number of mobile food entrepreneurs doubles in 10 months

webfact

Number of mobile food entrepreneurs doubles in 10 months

By The Nation

800_92acf3f7b0fee3e.jpg?v=1606394010

The number of new mobile food operators, including stalls and food trucks, doubled during the first 10 months of this year, according to the Department of Business Development.

Their total registered capital was Bt10 million, up 236.67 per cent year on year, said deputy director general Sorada Lertarpachit.

Most of the operators are Thais but more foreigners are now entering the business.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30398637

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-30

Seen a few of these around town, but you would need to be super hungry to order food from one.  Health & cleanliness did not seem to be high on their list of regulations.  Saw servers outside the truck smoking then going back in to carry on preparing and serving food - there was no washing of hands or gloves worn.  The mind boggles at what other health issues are not being followed...

• Haha 1

My son is one of these almost. He has started making English style sausages and burgers but selling frozen, uncooked. He is Thai so no problem. I have nothing to do with it except ensuring his hygiene standards are kept up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Foreigners can set up and run a food stall/food truck ?

Yes. Soon, you can open you own Cannabis truck on wheels. Home delivery and instruction how to use it.

Call it: " TechVik feel good truck"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crusader said:

Seen a few of these around town, but you would need to be super hungry to order food from one.  Health & cleanliness did not seem to be high on their list of regulations.  Saw servers outside the truck smoking then going back in to carry on preparing and serving food - there was no washing of hands or gloves worn.  The mind boggles at what other health issues are not being followed...

So, basically the same low/nonexistent levels of hygiene as in a lot of other, more traditional, diners. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now compare this with proper restaurants. I am sure all the staff will wash their hands thoroughly after each cigarette break - or maybe not?

Have you ever owned/run a restaurant?  There are multiple rules/regulations/laws to abide by and that includes here in Thailand even for street/market vendors.  Many people slag off about them but those people do not understand the restrictions they have to labour under.  Just to name a few, it is law that they have to wear an apron, have water available for washing dishes and utensils, wash hands after handling food, especially raw, and they and their help are not supposed to smoke except during a break time and to wash hands after.  One problem from all of those is that they are not taught to wash their hands correctly.  Surprisingly, mandatory health courses are available in Ontario for food handlers (restaurant/cafeteria workers, street vendors, etc., but many do not avail themselves of them and the owners do not ask or request they take such courses.   Result, it is the customer who can suffer, as they can and do in Thailand.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef

15 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

These so called hygiene inspectors have been going around here I live to what extent I dont know but I know of one restaurant that has had a couple of visits

It will be interesting to know on a national scale what are exactly the results

of these inspections in term of fines (Realy paid) or closure (For few days or forever)

knowing the ''thai style'' i guess few knee jerks, some wais and a brown enveloppe are the norm

in most of the cases.

I recomand for any of you with a doubt to do an easy test, stay few minutes in the toilets of a mail

at the eating hours and check how many of the restaurants workers (Easy to spot them with their uniforms) clean their hands after pee\poo ? From my observation is less than 50%

Enjoy your meal !

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, wotsdermatter said:

Have you ever owned/run a restaurant?  There are multiple rules/regulations/laws to abide by and that includes here in Thailand even for street/market vendors.  Many people slag off about them but those people do not understand the restrictions they have to labour under.  Just to name a few, it is law that they have to wear an apron, have water available for washing dishes and utensils, wash hands after handling food, especially raw, and they and their help are not supposed to smoke except during a break time and to wash hands after.  One problem from all of those is that they are not taught to wash their hands correctly.  Surprisingly, mandatory health courses are available in Ontario for food handlers (restaurant/cafeteria workers, street vendors, etc., but many do not avail themselves of them and the owners do not ask or request they take such courses.   Result, it is the customer who can suffer, as they can and do in Thailand.

'nuf sed.  plamuk aka travellingchef

And all these rules, regulations and laws are almost useless when they are not enforced.

And who enforces rules in Thailand? And what if the restaurant workers don't work the way they should? How often have we witnessed any restaurant in Thailand was closed because the staff didn't follow the rules? qed

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It will be interesting to know on a national scale what are exactly the results

of these inspections in term of fines (Realy paid) or closure (For few days or forever)

knowing the ''thai style'' i guess few knee jerks, some wais and a brown enveloppe are the norm

in most of the cases.

I recomand for any of you with a doubt to do an easy test, stay few minutes in the toilets of a mail

at the eating hours and check how many of the restaurants workers (Easy to spot them with their uniforms) clean their hands after pee\poo ? From my observation is less than 50%

Enjoy your meal !

Actually hang around in public toilets? Really?

Edited by Traubert
Alteration

Just now, Traubert said:

You actually hang around in public toilets?

lol i know what you mean but no i don't aha

however yes it happens i use the public toilets

but i don't stay more than needed

and it's enough time to see half of the guys

going out without cleaning their hands

not specific to Thailand unfortunately