Number of mobile food entrepreneurs doubles in 10 months

Number of mobile food entrepreneurs doubles in 10 months

By The Nation

800_92acf3f7b0fee3e.jpg?v=1606394010

The number of new mobile food operators, including stalls and food trucks, doubled during the first 10 months of this year, according to the Department of Business Development.

Their total registered capital was Bt10 million, up 236.67 per cent year on year, said deputy director general Sorada Lertarpachit.

Most of the operators are Thais but more foreigners are now entering the business.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30398637

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-30

Seen a few of these around town, but you would need to be super hungry to order food from one.  Health & cleanliness did not seem to be high on their list of regulations.  Saw servers outside the truck smoking then going back in to carry on preparing and serving food - there was no washing of hands or gloves worn.  The mind boggles at what other health issues are not being followed...

• Haha 1

Not surprising, food is one thing everyone needs and always sells. Little to no overheads once set up.

Hit n run sales, little to no regs, I bet many of those trucks are like mobile peetrie dishes.

• Like 2

My son is one of these almost. He has started making English style sausages and burgers but selling frozen, uncooked. He is Thai so no problem. I have nothing to do with it except ensuring his hygiene standards are kept up. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Foreigners can set up and run a food stall/food truck ?

Yes. Soon, you can open you own Cannabis truck on wheels. Home delivery and instruction how to use it.

Call it: " TechVik feel good truck"

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Crusader said:

Seen a few of these around town, but you would need to be super hungry to order food from one.  Health & cleanliness did not seem to be high on their list of regulations.  Saw servers outside the truck smoking then going back in to carry on preparing and serving food - there was no washing of hands or gloves worn.  The mind boggles at what other health issues are not being followed...

So, basically the same low/nonexistent levels of hygiene as in a lot of other, more traditional, diners. 

• Like 1

Around where I live it was an alternative to some people who had lost their jobs or no work, they all think they can cook, a few I know it failed somedays not sell anything.

• Like 2