Thailand confirms SECOND domestic COVID case in as many days - this time in Chiang Rai

webfact

"the permanent checkpoint at the Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge will remain open, officials said, in order to maintain important cross border trade."

I suspect this cross border trade in a night market means massage and other clandestine 'night services'?

I suspect those two girls who got infected worked in these type of services.

This bridge should really be closed!

Edited by EricTh
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

They didn't go through an official crossing - went cross-country and then over the river. They were even taking selfies and posting on Facebook about it.  

128849682_3487877837970222_8744031987295689409_n.jpg.73fef1e1b7b42341cf7a9d73dc8fe87f.jpg

So far,  3 girls have been reported crossing into Thailand illegally and testing positive.

Selfies of their journey show 4 girls. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

"Both had been working in Myanmar and seemingly returned to Thailand without undergoing the mandatory quarantine period in a state facility - an investigation has been launched into how this was allowed to happen".

They waded across the river, problem solved 

• Thanks 1

so possibly 4 crossed, not a great indictment of the Thai investigation, then everyone is expected to remember which faces were or were not on a public bus or mall, another great indictment of the track and trace and check in procedures. It all just proves that no government anywhere is capable of controlling the spread of this virus which in a weird way is strangely reassuring. I'm sure that Thailand have dropped the ball here as people have relaxed believing they were safe, but these are just the cases that you currently know about and the Government will have to act to save their hitherto untarnished reputation. A frightening time for the Thai people up t'north, however the weird reassurance is that people are people, despite whatever controls governments think they have and lets hope it stays that way ????

34 minutes ago, rabas said:

So far,  3 girls have been reported crossing into Thailand illegally and testing positive.

Selfies of their journey show 4 girls. 

Thai news reports are saying 4 girls.
https://news.thaipbs.or.th/content/298780 
https://www.matichon.co.th/region/news_2465281

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1

It's now been reported that 3 girls returned to Thailand because Burmese authorities imposed a midnight to 4am curfew to stop the Covid-19 outbreak. And, at least two of the girls had symptoms in Burma so clearly knew the situation!

Edit: The 4 girls seems to be a different case.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

It all just proves that no government anywhere is capable of controlling the spread of this virus which in a weird way is strangely reassuring.

Governments should not be blamed, people should. If you cant work out what is best for yourself after receiving advice from THE MEDICAL PROFESSION, yeah, maybe via govt broadcasts publicly, you need a shake if you think the govt are here for this sort of thing. I hear many attacks on leaders who are accused of flip flopping but the flip flopping often comes 1st from the medical profession.

I use the word "you" generally, not personally and I agree with your statement

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Both had been working in Myanmar and seemingly returned to Thailand without undergoing the mandatory quarantine period in a state facility - an investigation has been launched into how this was allowed to happen.

Leaky borders with less than the appropriate standard of concern by some border control agents.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

paranoia is "Paranoia is a thought process that causes you to have an irrational suspicion or mistrust of others."

Those of us who have lived here long enough have very rational suspicion of those in charge, be they cops, border guards, politicians, etc. We can trust them to take a suitable payoff to look the other way...

Fear leading to taking steps to alleviate that fear is different. 260,000+ of my countrymen and women are dead, directly or indirectly, because too many people were unwilling to acknowledge the danger and take appropriate measures.

Did you complain to the Chinese embassy? What was their answer? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Security stepped up again, is it the fifth time now? How many levels do they have? 

It is my opinion without proof that these two ladies entered Tachilek Burma illegally. They stayed in a Burmese hotel together for 6 days before they returned illegally. One went to Chiang Mai and the other checked in to the Bangkok Chiang Rai Hospital and tested positive for the Covid 19 virus. I believe they contacted the virus in Burma. Bangkok Chiang Rai  is a very expensive private hospital. Without big money you can't stay there. I suspect that they were in Burma on a business trip that lasted 6 days.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Off to Makro, stocking up. Lockdown is coming soon - 4 cases are a National Desaster.

Only 4 cases? That's not going to last you long. I would get more than that, particularly as you will soon no longer be able to order online.

• Haha 1