Thailand NOT opening up to mass tourism until next year - mandatory quarantine to stay in place

webfact

Vaccination travel passports are coming soon.

Only those certified as vaccinated will be able to travel out of their home country area before long.  Welcome to 2021.

So around July 2021 there should be plenty of Europeans vaccinated - the Global "Vaccination Passport" should be in place.......and Thailand should join into the "only vaccinated people can enter| which likely be the normal requirement worldwide.  Once the world moves into only allowing vaccinated people to travel - then quarantine is gone.........and things get back to normal slowely.

So I expect some form of Tourism coming in from July 2021 onwards.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, webfact said:

This comment seemed to pander to the concerns of those worried about the spread of the virus rather than doing anything dynamic to solve the economic woes associated with the downturn in tourism, notes Thai visa. 

tourism accounts for 20% of the economy, or so we are told.

Better to keep Covid out and 80% of the country working than shut the country down again...

tough love !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnarth said:

he is saying the PM is backing him, seems the PM is backing everyone but not saying so himself that is safe thinking for now

The PM is not backing him, Pipat has been pushing hard to open up the country for months, the PM is making him publicly state that the borders will remain closed, and quarantine will remain in place.

Pipat has been put back into a box.

• Like 1

Thailand has become a complete Joke with officials running about like headless chickens. It makes sense to continue with border closures but when this is considered no longer necessary it would be good to remember that from a tourist prospective there are plenty of alternative counties with good facilities and far cheaper so if Thailand wants to attract foreign tourism they will have to offer incentives for a start a 60 day visa waiver would be a start.

I am glad that Thailand is staying real and keeping the 14 day quarantine. The

vaccines have not been given to anyone yet, so Why do some posters think that the

quarantine is not necessary. In Canada the Covidiots are doing anti mask protests.

The idiots I speak of are the parents who are dragging their innocent young children with them to

the protest, and of course no one is wearing masks.  I will wait 2 to 3 weeks to see

how bad the spike of cases happen because of these protests, that happened in Edmonton

Red Deer (Dead Rear) and Calgary, and I heard that there is plans for another protest, even though the

Alberta government has said, no public gatherings of more than 10 people. These illegal protesters

should all be fined and publicly shamed for being so stupid, unfortunately only the organisers

may get a fine. You people in Thailand should be happy that the quarantine rules are still in

effect. Look at the USA,  they have not even started getting the Covid19 under control and

look at how many just had to fly somewhere or travel somewhere to visit relatives, as it is

Thanksgiving, after all.  

Geezer

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hydraides said:

Sigh, the initial lockdowns were just too 'flatten the curve' yet nearly the whole world has closed its borders and crashed their economies for a virus with 99%+ survival rates

Could understand if it was Ebola, but seriously what is the point in this nonsense?

Reset

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dlclark97 said:

Read the article again.  STV is here to stay for now.

No, read my post again. I was accepting the comment about the STV (even though there is little demand for it) and querying the attitude to the SETV which was not mentioned. 

Mass tourism surely means the SETV rather than the private jet owners ???? that the other is designed for. 

22 hours ago, JP canada said:

Lots of site seeing and adventure stuff to check out and open such as Khao Sok national park and yes even JB island. Some companies on certain days still are  doing Similan Islands also and with the lack of tourists the time has never been better to see some of these places. I just went on a tour of PhangNga with the wife and friends... it was awesome.

And you can pay farang price for all of them place wooopeeee

For us foreigners stuck here , it is just fine .... the Beach in Pattaya for ourselves Mon.--Thurs.

but for the THAI working people -- it is very distressing . 

Hope the Gov. will release HCQ in Pharmacies for the public. Old therapeutics is safe .

Young people are usually safe , just watch for 60+ yrs old people .

On 11/30/2020 at 5:46 PM, paulikens said:

@Mr Meeseeks glad its all working out for you. your name should be mr ME ME ME

I don't know if you've ever noticed but here in Thailand it has always been me me me. I read once on FB, don't post your problems on FB as 80 percent of your friends don't care and the other 20 percent are glad you have them. That about sums it up, and btw, I am sick and tired of listening to people about their visa situation, go home, the famine is over ????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, WuhanVagabond said:

We're thinking of heading to Phuket this weekend, but afraid it will be way TOO dead to enjoy. Lack of tourists is seemingly great, unless many of the activities you want to do are closed down because of... lack of tourists!

Are you just planning a "boring" lay on the beach/by the pool trip, or has your research shown enough businesses open to enjoy the food, some nightlife and activities (like Phi Phi, James Bond Island, snorkeling, etc)?  It's the GF's birthday and want to go, but we like some level of activity. Went to Chiang Mai and it was depressing until we found the university area, which was bustling. 

If you come to Phuket then stay in Rawai it's doing OK and also Phuket Town is busy

Edited by ChipButty

20 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

Phuket is dead. Have a friend who owns a boutique hotel / guesthouse that has been empty for months and a Thai couple I have known for years that had a successful outdoor coffee shop that I visited daily when I lived there had to close because so many beggars were driving away what few customers were left.

if you like solitude (except for beggars) this is the place to go. People forget that many of the things you enjoy on a holiday are tourist attractions and those are mostly closed.

It's not as dead as you are making out, only certain areas on the west coast, Rawai is doing ok and go to Phuket town it's business as usual I was there last Tuesday night the restaurant was busy

On 11/30/2020 at 6:07 AM, Dialemco said:

The reason maybe that China and South Korea suffering a second wave which maybe far worse than the first as no substantial herd immunity few local infections during the first wave. Is this about to happen to Thailand?

If I'm understanding your post, that you're saying there is no herd due to few local infections: it's not infections that facilitate herd immunity: "Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from a virus [my note: via a vaccine], not by exposing them to it." Need to have a vaccine for herd immunity to occur.  Full article here.

• Like 1

I wonder - what is the on-the-ground reality at this very moment,

especially around the tourist hot-spots?

Are restaurants and hotels really hurting - or have they been able to ride the tide via domestic tourism?

If this is the case then the other thread I saw claiming 4%+ growth next year for Thailand has to be completely false. They are essentially saying that, depending on which source you believe, absent 10% to 20% of their economic activity, tourism, the country will still grow? NOT. If tourism doesn't completely recover for most of next year, Thailand GDP should be negative for the entire year. There is no way a country can lose the majority of 10% to 20% of their economy, domestic tourism is estimated at 30% of total tourism, and still grow. So in other words, Thailand is gong the be in a recession, determined by negate growth, for over a year. Only a small minority of people in Thailand will be okay during this time and the rest of the folks will be completely screwed. The only saving grace is that most Thai people can get by without staring to death, on very little. 

I am not saying Thailand should open up because they probably shouldn't, but what I am saying is that the people of Thailand should at the very least, be told the truth about what is happening. 

I really don't understand why the Thai people are not being told the truth and the precarious position they are in because of decisions being made by the government. I am really not wanting to hear why expat's think locking down the country like this is a great idea because the damage to Thailand's economy will only benefit those that have chosen to retire in Thailand. This is not about what is best for expats, it is about what is best for the Thai people.

The people of Thailand need to get past the whole Corovirus thing and be told the truth about what this all means to them, so they can make an educated decision on how to move forward. Sometimes sacrifices need to be made to not totally destroy a good way of life.

I wish the Thai people the best of luck in navigating these trying times.

People can feel free to flame away but you need to ask yourself, who are you looking out for? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Helmet Grunter said:

I don't know if you've ever noticed but here in Thailand it has always been me me me. I read once on FB, don't post your problems on FB as 80 percent of your friends don't care and the other 20 percent are glad you have them. That about sums it up, and btw, I am sick and tired of listening to people about their visa situation, go home, the famine is over ????????????????????????

@Helmet Grunter totally agree but i wouldnt say its a thailand thing its a human thing, the majority of people are selfish.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, hotchilli said:

The PM is not backing him, Pipat has been pushing hard to open up the country for months, the PM is making him publicly state that the borders will remain closed, and quarantine will remain in place.

Pipat has been put back into a box.

All very good for people with millions, who are still employed and will still earn millions more..

while the other 80% of the country are doing it tough.

The thing about the west, its kinda easy to be ok about the lockdowns when your government is paying decent welfare.

Peoples such as Australia are well trained and getting good welfare.

(and just as well, as they havent got any Baใใs to go out and protest hard).

But folks with no job, no money and no welfare are probably gonna see things differently,

especially when dudes with cupboards full of luxury million baht watches are lording it over them.

Your man might be back in his box about speaking up for the poor 80%,

But how nice it would be if a few poor folk in a few certain countries were to put their

rich overlords in boxes..

preferably with nails in em and 6 foot under.

• Sad 3

42 minutes ago, pookondee said:

All very good for people with millions, who are still employed and will still earn millions more..

while the other 80% of the country are doing it tough.

The thing about the west, its kinda easy to be ok about the lockdowns when your government is paying decent welfare.

Peoples such as Australia are well trained and getting good welfare.

(and just as well, as they havent got any Baใใs to go out and protest hard).

But folks with no job, no money and no welfare are probably gonna see things differently,

especially when dudes with cupboards full of luxury million baht watches are lording it over them.

Your man might be back in his box about speaking up for the poor 80%,

But how nice it would be if a few poor folk in a few certain countries were to put their

rich overlords in boxes..

preferably with nails in em and 6 foot under.

Seeing how many Thais are returning with Covid from overseas you want to open up the borders and infect the whole country again?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Seeing how many Thais are returning with Covid from overseas you want to open up the borders and infect the whole country again?

There was once an international ordinance (of sorts) which stated any passport holding citizen could not be denied entry into their own country.

(Although places like Australia can seemingly flaunt all and any rules) 

I am guessing thats why Thais are allowing their own to return, and probably why its not much point testing them if they can jump on a flight anywhere else in the world and return home without even being tested before flying.

As long as they are tested on arrival and dealt with accordingly.

I dont think anyone is agreeing to opening the borders and letting covid positives in willy-nilly.

Yet if prospective travellers could be tested a few times before embarking on their travel and  again tested when they hit Thailand..

its absolutely do-able with little risk.

Cant catch it if no-ones got it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1