Hopes for cancellation of Lon Nol era ‘blood debt’ by Biden administration

geovalin

With the victory of President-elect Joe Biden from the Democratic Party, the Cambodian government hopes that the country’s United States war-time debt, which has accumulated to more than $600 million, may be cancelled by the new US administration. “When he won the election, Joe Biden gave hints that he will collect friends and ease the political tension in the world [under President Donald Trump’s administration],” said Sok Eysa, spokesman for the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP).

He added: “Meanwhile, I think Cambodia’s debt [to the US] is very small. Therefore, I think there is a possibility that the US may cancel the debt or use it to help build and develop Cambodia. I think it is a good thing. This is just my view, but I don’t know what will exactly happen.” Eysan said he was not sure when asked if the new US administration would set any conditions if it does agree to cancel the debt.

It should be recalled that while busy fighting Khmer Rouge guerillas in the 1970s, the US-backed Lon Nol government was given $274 million to buy rice, wheat, oil and cotton. The current debt includes interest accrued on this original loan. When asked about the loan via email this week, a spokesman for the US Embassy in Phnom Penh declined to comment.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50787413/hopes-for-cancellation-of-lon-nol-era-blood-debt-by-biden-administration/

9 hours ago, Proboscis said:

This is not a huge amount. If Biden agrees to forgive it, he should have strings attached. You don't get anything for nothing these days - ask the Chinese and they will tell you the same.

CCP would definitely be too happy to participate an a plan to assume the debt! 

23 hours ago, Proboscis said:

This is not a huge amount. If Biden agrees to forgive it, he should have strings attached. You don't get anything for nothing these days - ask the Chinese and they will tell you the same.

Not sure there is a contract for Hunter or Jim in this quid pro quo. What can they offer? Loyalty?? ????

On 11/30/2020 at 12:40 AM, geovalin said:

With the victory of President-elect Joe Biden from the Democratic Party, the Cambodian government hopes that the country’s United States war-time debt, which has accumulated to more than $600 million, may be cancelled by the new US administration. “When he won the election, Joe Biden gave hints that he will collect friends and ease the political tension in the world [under President Donald Trump’s administration],” said Sok Eysa, spokesman for the Cambodian People’s Party (CPP).

He added: “Meanwhile, I think Cambodia’s debt [to the US] is very small. Therefore, I think there is a possibility that the US may cancel the debt or use it to help build and develop Cambodia. I think it is a good thing. This is just my view, but I don’t know what will exactly happen.” Eysan said he was not sure when asked if the new US administration would set any conditions if it does agree to cancel the debt.

It should be recalled that while busy fighting Khmer Rouge guerillas in the 1970s, the US-backed Lon Nol government was given $274 million to buy rice, wheat, oil and cotton. The current debt includes interest accrued on this original loan. When asked about the loan via email this week, a spokesman for the US Embassy in Phnom Penh declined to comment.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50787413/hopes-for-cancellation-of-lon-nol-era-blood-debt-by-biden-administration/

So, Cambodia must pay for all the carnage inflicted on it by the USA while it conducted its war on communism? Including the carpet bombing of swathes of Cambodian countryside? If I were them, I  would tell the USA to take a hike..