Just had my first ever Immigration 'Home Visit' this morning.......

.......and what an absolute breeze that was!

3 charming young  gentlemen visited myself and my family this morning.

Asked a few questions, signed a few documents and off they went.

They also had us pose for the same photographs that we handed to them when we applied for the visa extension.

All in all the visit lasted 10 minutes followed by a few wai's and a goodbye.

I offered them each a cup of coffee but they politely declined, stating they had already had their daily caffeine fix.

Keep up the fine work, Nonthaburi immigration :thumbsup:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

They also had us pose for the same photographs that we handed to them when we applied for the visa extension.

I offered them each a cup of coffee but they politely declined, stating they had already had their daily caffeine fix.

Nice to hear something positive

40 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Did you give them any money?

I had my 3rd year visit recently, same as the 2 before, same as the OP,  all very pleasant and friendly. No charge.

The senior one did ask 2 surprise questions, 1 why dont I change from retirement extension to marriage to save money in the bank and 2 why do I not volunteer at the local school?

1 don't need any more paperwork and 2, you (the IO) don't allow it without a work permmit.

42 minutes ago, Saltire said:

1 why dont I change from retirement extension to marriage to save money in the bank and

While the quote is a fair enough question from the Senior IO; it prompts me to ask this, "Why are you getting house visits on a retirement extension?"

Genuinely interested as it's not something I've heard of before. TIA

8 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

While the quote is a fair enough question from the Senior IO; it prompts me to ask this, "Why are you getting house visits and photos on a retirement extension?"

Happened to me a couple of times too (Hat Yai, Songkhla). My guess is that they want to make sure that I am actually living at the address that I claim I do.

15 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

While the quote is a fair enough question from the Senior IO; it prompts me to ask this, "Why are you getting house visits on a retirement extension?"

Yes I agree with nrasmussen that it's verification you are staying where you say you are. They use the hand-drawn map from the office to your home that is part of the applcation, each visit they have had the paper map with them.

I would love to volunteer a few days a week but I can't see that changing anytime soon. I believe you can get a work permit on a marriage extension, but not for volunteering, mainly for employment.

29 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

Good question .. never had one in 15 or so years.  (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ban Krut, Korat and Khon Kaen) 

This is a good post, I'm glad the OP is happy.

In most farang countries, Immigration isn't checking up on anyone with a proper visa.  My friends haven't seen immigration for 20 plus years, it just works differently there.

Hey, great news, Immigration is here!!!!  said nobody ever.   

But we are aliens......and we are happy to have contact with humans I guess.  

12 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

you used to live in Hat Yai??

What was that like/??

I've been living in Hat Yai for five years now (still am). I like it here. Nice city - not too big, not too small. Everything essential is relatively close by: immigration office, DLT, airport.

40 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes I agree with nrasmussen that it's verification you are staying where you say you are. They use the hand-drawn map from the office to your home that is part of the applcation, each visit they have had the paper map with them.

I would love to volunteer a few days a week but I can't see that changing anytime soon. I believe you can get a work permit on a marriage extension, but not for volunteering, mainly for employment.

Maybe technically that is true, but in this case the IO staff were suggesting it so doubt it would be a problem.

The Phangnga immigration visited me a few months back and a Thai friend who happened to be at my house at the time told them I had done volunteer work for the covid situation with the local rescue volunteer team and they seem impressed and had no problem with it.  

I think if you do volunteer work for thai organizations such as a local school etc it won’t be a problem. If you wanted to volunteer for a foreign charity or something you would probably have a problem. 

I also do some volunteer work for the Orbortor and the local police station. Again, it is appreciated, they always want photos of me, the token farang helping out, to put on their Facebook page.

That is my personal experience. The Thais enjoy doing community activities.

[quote]

I also do some volunteer work for the Orbortor and the local police station. Again, it is appreciated, they always want photos of me, the token farang helping out, to put on their Facebook page.

[/quote]

Volunteering is looked on with approval by the authorities - until they change their point of view.....

7 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Maybe technically that is true, but in this case the IO staff were suggesting it so doubt it would be a problem.

The Phangnga immigration visited me a few months back and a Thai friend who happened to be at my house at the time told them I had done volunteer work for the covid situation with the local rescue volunteer team and they seem impressed and had no problem with it.  

I think if you do volunteer work for thai organizations such as a local school etc it won’t be a problem. If you wanted to volunteer for a foreign charity or something you would probably have a problem. 

That is my personal experience. The Thais enjoy doing community activities.

I just feel it's not worth the risk.

All it would take here is a local with a grudge and dob you in and you'd be in the way to the airport.

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes, from my arrival till now every year.

First I'd heard of it, would be nice to be able to say I'm surprised but surprise is hasn't been an emotion attached to different IOs for a long time 555

Archived