Just had my first ever Immigration 'Home Visit' this morning.......

19 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

We are almost never at our registered address as we travel around renting for months at a time........is that going to be a problem if they ever decide to drop in on us?

The Thai relatives who live there will say they haven't seen us for months!!!

They'll inform you when the visit will be.

I'd make a point to be there just to save potential ball aches.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Do they make surprise visits, or let you know in advance when they are coming?

First I have heard of that.

They visit only once when you move to another province or apply for your first visa extension

A surprise visit would make no sense whatsoever. 

What if I was out shopping?

18 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I just feel it's not worth the risk.

All it would take here is a local with a grudge and dob you in and you'd be in the way to the airport.

I understand how you feel. However I feel it has the opposite result for my personal situation. 

Because of helping out the local police station the head copper, and all the coppers there know me and I have his number and vice versa. First name basis. I had lunch with him today. (I didn’t pay)

Because of helping out the orbortor, the “Nayok Orbortor” ( think it sort of translates to “mayor”) and I also are on friendly terms. 

Thai society is big on who you know. If I ever had any problems I could call them and believe they would sort it out. 

Again, just my personal experience. 

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

They'll inform you when the visit will be.

I'd make a point to be there just to save potential ball aches.

Mmmmm...the biggest ball ache is having to be there (a very long drive to the back of beyond)........I wonder.....we have gone for a 12 month rent at the moment.....should I change my registered address to this rented address?

1 minute ago, Natai Beach said:

I understand how you feel. However I feel it has the opposite result for my personal situation. 

Because of helping out the local police station the head copper, and all the coppers there know me and I have his number and vice versa. First name basis. I had lunch with him today. (I didn’t pay)

Because of helping out the orbortor, the “Nayok Orbortor” ( think it sort of translates to “mayor”) and I also are on friendly terms. 

Thai society is big on who you know. If I ever had any problems I could call them and believe they would sort it out. 

Again, just my personal experience. 

It's great having all these 'contacts' ( but almost everyone claims to know 'someone' ) however i've seen many 'contacts' abandon so called friends when push comes to shove...

Proceed with caution.

3 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Mmmmm...the biggest ball ache is having to be there (a very long drive to the back of beyond)........I wonder.....we have gone for a 12 month rent at the moment.....should I change my registered address to this rented address?

Someone with more knowledge needs to answer this, i don't want to give you incorrect info.

7 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

First I have heard of that.

They visit only once when you move to another province or apply for your first visa extension

A surprise visit would make no sense whatsoever. 

What if I was out shopping?

My first visit was 3 years ago and was unannounced. I was in Scotland for my mother's funeral and the wife video called me. She explained my situation and showed him the memorial card in case he didn't believe me. He did, but still came again a week after my return to meet in person.

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It's great having all these 'contacts' ( but almost everyone claims to know 'someone' ) however i've seen many 'contacts' abandon so called friends when push comes to shove...

Proceed with caution.

Agreed, and also it is very common for senior police to get moved around so you never know how the replacement would react. Good for you Natai Beach, that must make a big difference to your lifestyle. I assume you are a fluent Thai speaker, which helps a great deal.

Where i live there is only the local Poo Yai, who is friendly, but no police or senior government officials. Tha amphur is an hour away in Sangkhla Buri where I almost never go. My regular office in Kanchanaburi is more than 2 hours away so I only go when absoluteley neccessary (to find a bar or restaurant and go to Makro).

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Proceed with caution.

I actually had no interest in getting these contacts for the sake of having contacts. 
it just fell into place because of me volunteering to help out, as I appreciate the community in Natai Beach/Khok Kloy and have spare time and was asked to join in.

It is a small community with only two degrees of separation. If you don’t know somebody here you will know somebody who does. It is a very friendly place. I would say less than 20 foreigners live here so the Thais are still friendly and not jaded like in some areas. 

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Noted.

I've got my visit sometime this week and 2000 baht was mentioned whilst at the immigration office last week, i'll see what they say when they rock up.

Thx

Hide all your  money tell them not have, write ph 1178 on an A4  and stick it in a prominent place. set up a camera to vid em. Don't  be scammed !

3 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

While the quote is a fair enough question from the Senior IO; it prompts me to ask this, "Why are you getting house visits on a retirement extension?"

Genuinely interested as it's not something I've heard of before. TIA

Trat do it for both and every year.

Our immigration visit earlier this year was pleasant enough. However they did let it be known that two coffees and "money for gas" were to be ready when they arrived...

They didn't touch the coffee. The 500 baht on the other hand...

Before leaving, one of them tried chatting up my wife's sister without much success.

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

I think that it's to late to change once you have applied

1 hour ago, schondie said:

Thanks for this thread as I'm waiting for my first home visit. I was starting to wonder about how long it'll take and what questions they are likely to ask.

If married they just tend to talk to the missus, they come about 7 days after you apply and stay about 30 min. never asked any awkward questions, generally they ignore me.

46 minutes ago, Saltire said:

You missread this - I was sayiing exactly what you said - dont want a marriage visa due to the extra paperwork required.

Awwww it was only 80 + pages, in my case. They gotta get that paper in or they may have to start buying photocopy paper again. ???? 

Archived