Just had my first ever Immigration 'Home Visit' this morning.......

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

I had my 3rd year visit recently, same as the 2 before, same as the OP,  all very pleasant and friendly. No charge.

The senior one did ask 2 surprise questions, 1 why dont I change from retirement extension to marriage to save money in the bank and 2 why do I not volunteer at the local school?

1 don't need any more paperwork and 2, you (the IO) don't allow it without a work permmit.

If you are volunteering and no money is being paid, you don't need a work permit.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The senior one did ask 2 surprise questions, 1 why dont I change from retirement extension to marriage to save money in the bank and 2 why do I not volunteer at the local school?

1 don't need any more paperwork and 2, you (the IO) don't allow it without a work permit.

and you cannot get a work permit while on a retirement extension which is possibly why he's suggesting you change to marriage extension and teach his kids for free ????

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

I had my 3rd year visit recently, same as the 2 before, same as the OP,  all very pleasant and friendly. No charge.

1 don't need any more paperwork and 2, you (the IO) don't allow it without a work permmit.

Why are they visiting if you are using the 800,000baht

Thought it was only if you used the marriage 400.000 baht ?

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

.......and what an absolute breeze that was!

3 charming young  gentlemen visited myself and my family this morning.

Asked a few questions, signed a few documents and off they went.

They also had us pose for the same photographs that we handed to them when we applied for the visa extension.

All in all the visit lasted 10 minutes followed by a few wai's and a goodbye.

I offered them each a cup of coffee but they politely declined, stating they had already had their daily caffeine fix.

Keep up the fine work, Nonthaburi immigration :thumbsup:

Same here, nothing but positive experience with immigration. (except with one VERY NASTY  Thai female immigration officer in Vientien..)

Must be an ungrateful job sometimes, most farang dont smile, get easily irritated and offended when an IO explains they need this and that document, but they always keep proffesional and with a smile.

30 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Why are they visiting if you are using the 800,000baht

Thought it was only if you used the marriage 400.000 baht ?

I got a home visit on a retirement extension, although it was my first extension and I had moved province so could have been for either of those reasons, not had one since ( 3 years ).

Just for the record, water was offered, the stay was about 10 minutes, a quick photo shoot and they were on their way, no mention of money .... although I did think afterwards I should have asked them for some ????

7 hours ago, Saltire said:

Yes I agree with nrasmussen that it's verification you are staying where you say you are. They use the hand-drawn map from the office to your home that is part of the applcation, each visit they have had the paper map with them.

I would love to volunteer a few days a week but I can't see that changing anytime soon. I believe you can get a work permit on a marriage extension, but not for volunteering, mainly for employment.

Can you get a work permit on marriage extension without a degree??

Ah well that's satisfied my idle curiosity.....TIT. Some offices do, some offices don't so, hope for the best prepare for the worst. Having lived in the same place since arriving on an O-A and using it to get the first two years then an extension  may have saved my bacon on getting a visit. Best never to say never though......wait and see what April brings; thanks for the responses, very interesting.

6 hours ago, twocatsmac said:

Get a receipt.

Yes do, I got hit with the 2000. I asked for a receipt and they wouldn't give me one and when I asked for the money back or a receipt, they wouldn't give me either--- at this point my wife took me aside and "suggested" I let it go. Get the receipt first!

4 hours ago, Kurtf said:

If you are volunteering and no money is being paid, you don't need a work permit.

Incorrect. Be very aware that even helpful "helping/volunteering" requires a work permit. A common error is farang helping out at perhaps school of their child. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Incorrect. Be very aware that even helpful "helping/volunteering" requires a work permit. A common error is farang helping out at perhaps school of their child. 

....thus check with the local IO and work permit office... applications vary.

12 hours ago, Crossy said:

As @Saltire mentions, you need a Work Permit even to volunteer.

Yes, this is a good point.

My wife says I should volunteer in order to have this counted when applying for the permanent residency.

I say to her I need a WP and she looks at me surprised.

Not sure the local school will go through the whole WP process hassle for me to volunteer for them 4 times a year, for example.

Just catching up on people quoting my posts.

Yes I am on retirement extension for my 4th year now and get a visit from the Sangkhlaburi office every year, one or 2 days after renewal they call me in advance. My official office is Kanchanaburi but as Sangkhlaburi is closer they visit me from that office. I don't really know why a visit is carried out but I will ask next year.

No I cannot volunteer without a volunteer visa and a work permit, neither of which I have an interest in applying for, even if they were on offer. For the record I do not want a job either, I would just like to casually volunteer.

The 800k in the bank seems to me to be the easiest annual method so have no desire to change to a marriage extension due to added paperwork such as up to date marriage certificates - my amphur is also in Sangkhlaburi an hours drive from home.

The original map I gave them was from Google but they insisted on a hand-drawn version

And they always stay for coffee and water and stay about an hour. A family member (this time wifes brother) was accepted as a witness, the last few times we had to go round up a willing neighbour.

It is all very amicable so as in the OP case, it should be nothing to worry about unless you get hit with a bill. Never been asked to pay.

As with all things Thai Immigration related you may have a different experience from others on here.

Some have been here decades and never had IO’s gracing their homes.

Others have a yearly visit whether on marriage or retirement extensions.

Some receive their “ guests “ with open arms , a smile and refreshments.

Others grumpily receive their “ intruders “ with folded arms and a scowl .

Some get by with a group photo in front of house number.

Others have to entice their partner into the bedroom for the photo shoot ( and it’s not even dark outside ! ).

Some get a call announcing the arrival of the guests.

Others get caught with their pants down when the uniformed rap on the door.

Some find the experience short and unobtrusive.

Others sulk and pace around in the background during the “ inspection “.

Some find it a painless and relatively pleasant experience.

Others faces drop when they get hit with the bill !! .

Whether you are a “ some “ or an “ other “ we can all agree inconsistency is the spice of life !

Thailand : The Hub of Inconsistency ????

19 hours ago, Ventenio said:

This is a good post, I'm glad the OP is happy.

In most farang countries, Immigration isn't checking up on anyone with a proper visa.  My friends haven't seen immigration for 20 plus years, it just works differently there.

Hey, great news, Immigration is here!!!!  said nobody ever.   

But we are aliens......and we are happy to have contact with humans I guess.  

Staying with the same topic.Many years ago I brought my ex wife to Canada. She had already been given a Permanent Resident card issued in TL so the immigration process was very easy.They said "see you in 5 years to get your passport" I think they can get it faster now with the existing gov't. All I had to do was get her private medical insurance for 3 months until her Provincial insurance kicked in. Sadly ended in divorce a few years later.Ironically shes still there and I'm here.lol

Far removed from the hassle here , RE. 90 day reports etc.

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You need witness's for what, if the immigration people have come to visit surely that will suffice?

Yes, in some cases they need guarantors to be present like with myself and have had 4 visits in 12 years!!!

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

As @Saltire mentions, you need a Work Permit even to volunteer.

Not anymore. That was changed 2 or 3 years ago when they issued new rules for work permits by way of a a royal decree.

Immigration is issuing extensions for volunteer work now without needing a work permit.

I can recall reading in the news then about a big fuss raised when Chiang Mai immigration was wanting work permits and the labor ministry would not issue them anymore.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not anymore. That was changed 2 or 3 years ago when they issued new rules for work permits by way of a a royal decree.

This is excellent news for many!

I don't suppose you have a reference or link to the relevant ruling?

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't suppose you have a reference or link to the relevant ruling?

The only thing I have seen in English is summaries of the royal decrees done in 2017 and 2018 and they do not mention volunteer work. The 2018 decree in thai is here. Royal Decree on Managing the Work of Foreigners (No. 2) B.E. 2561 (2018)_ - th.pdf

I don't understand this conversation regarding volunteering and work permits. 

Recently a friend of mine (bkk) was asking about doing few hours a week volunteering at his child's school. The guy is seriously fluent in Thai. He thought he could be of use, language wise. He is Oz. Anyway I told him it was a no no and he would need a work permit.

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't understand this conversation regarding volunteering and work permits. 

Recently a friend of mine (bkk) was asking about doing few hours a week volunteering at his child's school. The guy is seriously fluent in Thai. He thought he could be of use, language wise. He is Oz. Anyway I told him it was a no no and he would need a work permit.

As I wrote the rules were changed in 2017 and 2018. The labor ministry no longer issues work permit for volunteer work.

Volunteering at a school might need a bit more than just doing it. That might entail getting a teachers license or even a background check.

7 hours ago, digger70 said:

Yes  a map.  I print a Google map for my retirement extension seems ok so far (Hat Yai)

It does seem a strange request to expats but maybe  the reasons could be the IO is not familiar with the layout of the village or many sois are not numbered

( recently added ).

Not sure if it's still done but for a long time the plots were given a house number as they were sold. The house next door to ours has a number at least 20 more than ours. All start with xxx/ but 21 is not not next door to 20.

Maybe it's done under a more logical system now.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

.......and what an absolute breeze that was!

3 charming young  gentlemen visited myself and my family this morning.

Asked a few questions, signed a few documents and off they went.

They also had us pose for the same photographs that we handed to them when we applied for the visa extension.

All in all the visit lasted 10 minutes followed by a few wai's and a goodbye.

I offered them each a cup of coffee but they politely declined, stating they had already had their daily caffeine fix.

Keep up the fine work, Nonthaburi immigration :thumbsup:

No witness need ?

Archived