Pattaya for sale: 90% of resort’s spa and massage businesses shutdown

webfact

I do believe that Pattaya will look a lot different by Winter of 2021 when some

people may actually travel there for a long holiday.  I would be surprised if

all the major hotels will still be in business, certainly some guest houses

may be gone.  My Thai relatives in Bangkok say that there are a lot less

taxis in Bangkok than there used to be.  There are some vacant lots that are full of taxis 

because of the much less demand of just the locals in the city. Good luck to all you

lucky expats who can enjoy the beaches and places this Winter with only a few

foreign tourists among you.  Have a good Winter.

Geezer

90% closure rate might be an exaggeration but not by much. From noon to 10 pm, all I see is a great emptiness. Yes, massage shops, some bars, some restaurants, some odds and ends shops, some electronic stores, and some pharmacies are still open. But there's precious little foot traffic most of the day. 

One night, from my perch at R-Conn Bar, it was hard to believe I was sitting on Soi Buakhao. With so little motorcycle and pedestrian activity, it felt like some distant back soi.

Since moving back to Pattaya, for a break from Bangkok, two months ago, I see mostly devastation in a sea of shut businesses, empty venues, "For Sale/Rent" signs and homeless people settling in front of an abandoned hotel or convenience store. And it seems to me in that time, Pattaya business is still visibly shrinking. It's a rather depressing place to be when seen through the lens of the past. Next month, I'll be moving back to livelier Bangkok. 

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:11 PM, webfact said:

The almost complete absence of foreign tourists on which businesses relied has seen to that. 

sorry for their absence..the tourists may be too busy back home in lockdowns, hospitals, sick or dying..the last thing they have in their mind right now is some boring elephant show or deal with needy and loud prostitutes in a bar soi

Edited by pattayadude

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Pattaya business is still visibly shrinking. It's a rather depressing place to be when seen through the lens of the past. Next month, I'll be moving back to livelier Bangkok. 

and a few months later, back to the UK?

Edited by pattayadude

22 hours ago, champers said:

90% closed seems like a gross exaggeration to me; 50% might be nearer the mark.

That figure includes the ones in hotels which are now closed. But I agree still on the high side. 

On 11/30/2020 at 2:20 PM, Techno Viking said:

From what I saw when i visited 2 weeks ago for the weekend, Yes Pattaya is doing ok as it was rammed.

at the weekend by people from around and about coming to spend the day at the seaside ,and not spending much ,try living here ,for us married expats its great ,no tour buses , but for the poor workers its ,a death knell ,your just a weekender so to be blunt you know nothing .

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 11:52 AM, pattayadude said:

sorry for their absence..the tourists may be too busy back home in lockdowns, hospitals, sick or dying..the last thing they have in their mind right now is some boring elephant show or deal with needy and loud prostitutes in a bar soi

I agree.

Even if the Thai government opened the boarders tomorrow, and planes with in the air, there will be no rush of tourists to holiday here.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, champers said:

90% closed seems like a gross exaggeration to me; 50% might be nearer the mark.

How is it an exaggeration when countries that don't depend nearly as much on tourism or had less lockdowns were already at 50%+ months ago? 

Why would a business owner operating in a tourist area, who depends on tourists, continue to pay rent when they haven't had any tourists in over 6 months -- and aren't likely to get any more tourists for at least 6 more?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, OutofSiam said:

How is it an exaggeration when countries that don't depend nearly as much on tourism or had less lockdowns were already at 50%+ months ago? 

Why would a business owner operating in a tourist area, who depends on tourists, continue to pay rent when they haven't had any tourists in over 6 months -- and aren't likely to get any more tourists for at least 6 more?

I know what I see with my own eyes. I regularly go on Naklua Rd, Beach Rd, 2nd Road, Klang, Soi Bukhaou and various side sois off Klang and Beach Rd.

I know some who have a few customers, less staff and have landlords who have reduced rents. Some Thais provide more custom at weekends.

1 hour ago, champers said:

I know what I see with my own eyes. I regularly go on Naklua Rd, Beach Rd, 2nd Road, Klang, Soi Bukhaou and various side sois off Klang and Beach Rd.

I know some who have a few customers, less staff and have landlords who have reduced rents. Some Thais provide more custom at weekends.

I know what I see with my own eyes in the area you speak of, and I see devastation. 

The OP states 90% of massage shops closed, which I think is an exaggeration.  Others on this forum have said 50%, but I think that's a bit thin.  

For massage shops, I'm thinking around 65%.  

For all businesses, I fear the worst is yet to come, regardless of reduced rents.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, champers said:

Right, so the majority of businesses have closed, and the ones that haven't are barely scraping by even having laid off most of their staff.

But at least it's not 90%!!!!

10 hours ago, OutofSiam said:

We are not talking about other countries.... specifically here in Pattaya. 

If you are sat in another country you have no actual idea. 

14 hours ago, champers said:

and some of the "few customers" are probably "planted" there by the bar owner. By inviting his friends or friends of the girls  in order to create a perception of a busy bar

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

and some of the "few customers" are probably "planted" there by the bar owner. By inviting his friends or friends of the girls  in order to create a perception of a busy bar

At a not so cheap bar in Soi Buakhao I see at around 8 in the evening always Thai ladies sitting. Several often expensive drinks are standing on their table. If I look at the amount of drinks they must be completely drunken already. But strange that they arrived there not so long ago. So someone simply puts there empty bottles and glasses on the tables. At this bar I also see often the same ladies with different Farangs. The ladies are not normal staff members but I guess they might get a commission if they bring a customer.

On 12/1/2020 at 10:11 AM, RR2020 said:

There will not be any tourists coming in until around July at the earliest..........

China does not want its people travelling, they want domestic tourism and have 2 billion people to vaccinate.

So let Europe get most of its people vaccinated by July 2021 and with "Covid Vaccination" passports..........and you might see some coming in when Thailand adopts acceptance to the new "Vaccination Passport" scheme where only vaccinated people can travel outside their home country.

Just being vaccinated does not guarantee immunity, IMO. 95%, remember- that leaves 5% it doesn't work on.

More will be required, IMO, before one is certified safe.

33 minutes ago, pattayadude said:

This thread is about massage shops, not bars. 

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The ladies are not normal staff members but I guess they might get a commission if they bring a customer.

each of these ladies have a few foreign financial  supporters..they may be receiving around $50-100 a month from each supporter "to survive"..The amount is a mere pocket change for the foreigner to keep a lover in thailand but enough for these ladies to party a few times a week

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Complete rubbish in reality; you appear to have a hyperactive imagination.

why does the reality bother you, if i may ask..my comment is pure reality no one can deny. everyone here is entitled to their opinion including you. what part of 90%  didn't you understand? closed massage parlors and bars are facts of today's night life

Edited by pattayadude
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pattayadude said:

why does the reality bother you, if i may ask..my comment is pure reality no one can deny

I know people who own massage shops. It is not a reality to suggest they engage the services of imaginary customers to appear busy.

If you are referring to bars, you are off topic. Post your theory on a thread about bars.

1 minute ago, champers said:

I know people who own massage shops. It is not a reality to suggest they engage the services of imaginary customers to appear busy.

If you are referring to bars, you are off topic. Post your theory on a thread about bars.

all business including massage parlors and bars  engage in activities to appear busy, to promote their business and there is nothing wrong with that. I only pointed it out

• Thanks 1