Pattaya for sale: 90% of resort’s spa and massage businesses shutdown

webfact

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

This would be a good time to compulsory purchase buildings along Beach and Second to be demolished so the roads can be widened.

There's no need to widen either road--they are both wide already.  They just need to eliminate the parking if traffic down the road (tiny pun) becomes critical once again.  Same for streets like North Pattaya Road.  We were on it heading west towards Terminal 21 the other day and traffic was backed up even now with covid and few tourists.  The parking lane has many no parking areas on it already so few cars can actually park.  Just eliminate all the parking and make another traffic lane that benefits all rather than the few that can find one of the limited parking spaces.   

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Not a Soiboy said:

it's a hard way to clean up, but it's necessary to clean up a bit,  thailand does not need a lot of farang sexpats who just sits and complains about everything

The thing is, they would have it that you were all out and the Pattaya/Thai of old be just that. Careful what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Long weekend, school holidays...try a weekday now.

Drove up to Pattaya last night (like I do nearly every Friday night) and as usual the motorway was heavy with traffic.

How can that possibly be with no tourists ?

Edited by Techno Viking

9 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Don't know... I only travel the motorway Friday night and Monday morning.

Baffles me  why there is so much traffic, there is no tourists and Pattaya is dead.

A lot of commercial traffic, trucks etc, all the time. I don't use it often myself but the times are random and the last stretch from  Laem Chabang to Pattaya is always busy.  Also always under construction too which does not help. 

46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A lot of commercial traffic, trucks etc, all the time. I don't use it often myself but the times are random and the last stretch from  Laem Chabang to Pattaya is always busy.  Also always under construction too which does not help. 

My eyes function reasonably well so I can tell the difference between commercial traffic, trucks etc and BKK plated passenger cars.

but there is no Tourists and Pattaya is dead so all these people must be coming to push a noodle cart around.

8 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

My eyes function reasonably well so I can tell the difference between commercial traffic, trucks etc and BKK plated passenger cars.

but there is no Tourists and Pattaya is dead so all these people must be coming to push a noodle cart around.

One Swallow does not a summer make. In the great scheme of things they don't make much difference, so on your self confessed weekly sojourns to our lovely city (sarcasm) how much do YOU spend ? Then multiply that by however many Thais rock up, it ain't enough to have the local businesses singing from their collective roof tops trust me.

On 12/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, OutofSiam said:

How is it an exaggeration when countries that don't depend nearly as much on tourism or had less lockdowns were already at 50%+ months ago? 

Why would a business owner operating in a tourist area, who depends on tourists, continue to pay rent when they haven't had any tourists in over 6 months -- and aren't likely to get any more tourists for at least 6 more?

I'd guess some farung would still pay rent on the businesses to keep their TGF busy. Is it 'Idle hands do the devil's work?'

On 12/5/2020 at 4:00 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Then multiply that by however many Thais rock up, it ain't enough to have the local businesses singing from their collective roof tops trust me.

But no one ever said that, thought it, or implied it in any way whatsoever. Not to worry: "Pattaya Is Dead" narrative is safely intact, as it has been since 2007 and always will be. Still, domestic tourism is helpful and is rightly encouraged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

I'd guess some farung would still pay rent on the businesses to keep their TGF busy. Is it 'Idle hands do the devil's work?'

They sit around doing as little as possible..... nothing has changed much for a lot of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 12:11 PM, webfact said:

The once famous nightlife is a distant memory.

so just pack up and go back or elsewhere..if the horse is dead, there's no need to beat the damn thing..it had been dead for a long time and it was never that famous anyway.It was just ok.Every city in the world has(had) good  and even better nightlife.No need to blow pattaya nightlife out of proportion. I had much better time in other cities/ countries/cultures

Edited by pattayadude
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

But no one ever said that, thought it, or implied it in any way whatsoever.

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

Still, domestic tourism is helpful and is rightly encouraged.

So, what real good is it, and to whom?  

7 hours ago, pattayadude said:

Every city in the world has(had) good  and even better nightlife.

Oh, goody. Every city. Where's that right now where I might freely travel and feel safe? I seem only to recall cities with similarly restricted night life. Or if not, you're stupid to risk going out into what there is. There's a reason just the other day CDC warns Americans not to travel to Mexico as airlines see increased demand. Bunch of idiots came back w/ COVID from the Art With Me event in Tulum recently to spread around New York.

I'm still enjoying Pattaya, thank you.:)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pattayadude said:

so just pack up and go back or elsewhere..if the horse is dead, there's no need to beat the damn thing..it had been dead for a long time and it was never that famous anyway.It was just ok.Every city in the world has(had) good  and even better nightlife.No need to blow pattaya nightlife out of proportion.

The Pattaya Is Dead trope is pecked out continually on TVF to signal a poster's own sagacity and relevance in an indifferent world. The more portentous a prophecy, the greater the feeling of self-importance.

Now it's true that some can't help themselves after being infected with the hellish brain-eating "Whither Pattaya? Whither Thailand?" space monkeys. Pattaya's never been a place for fussy old ladies. The only cure is to leave and try to be happy elsewhere, though some still do feel the strong need to bash from afar. Well-adapted expats, on the other hand, just roll with the flow and continue to enjoy a very special and unique place.

So what we have here in this small virtual space are merely doomsters and bashers beating a horse among themselves that they had declared dead. Web marketing copy writers appeal to that interest whenever possible, for obvious reasons we're not allowed to mention.

In reality, since the first doom predictions of (online) record in letters to the editor in the Pattaya Mail in 1997, the city's merely continued a strong growth pattern that really took off in 2009. That trend looks to continue post-COVID, as smart developers know. WOT?

Since the late 70s, Pattaya's always had sufficient nightlife for the market. Far too much, in fact, since the building boom of the early 2000s. Now, even after a severe retrenchment, it still has excess capacity. In fact, a common observation here is that Pattaya's now at its best. OH NO-O-O.

Most expats are reasonably, if not highly, satisfied with their lives in Pattaya and have no intention of leaving. I'm not hearing any tales of hardship from them. On the contrary, good times are still being had.????Many do live here part-time and look forward to returning when they can. Few of them post here, understandably. Of course, nothing prevents one from enjoying nightlife both in Pattaya AND elsewhere. But you see, for most it's not only about the nightlife anyway.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1