Four Thais arrested after illegal crossing from Myanmar - they’d posted about it on Facebook

webfact

Four Thais arrested after illegal crossing from Myanmar - they’d posted about it on Facebook

10pm11.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Three Thai women and one man who went to Myanmar to work in a karaoke lounge then came back illegally across a natural border have been arrested in north Thailand after a Facebook post went viral. 

One of the women had posted on Facebook about their experience boasting about saying hello again to Thailand after going through the jungle and crossing a river.

The post was widely viewed, shared and commented upon on social media.

It prompted action from the top with Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang, immigration chief, demanding immediate action from the authorities in Chiang Rai. 

Two of the women aged 28 and 29 were stopped at a checkpoint in Mae Jan at 7pm travelling south to Bangkok on a bus from Mae Sai. The two others - a woman aged 31 and a man aged 28 - were picked up at a hotel in Mae Sai. 

10pm22.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The group's movements are being checked - it is known they went to several places over three days.

They said that two months ago they went to Myanmar sneaking over the Moei river at Mae Sot, Tak, in the north west of Thailand.

They were aided and abetted by Myanmar guides. 

But when the economy faltered and they feared catching Covid-19 they decided to quit their jobs at a karaoke lounge and return to Thailand paying someone 5,500 baht each for their passage. 

They all went to see friends in Mae Sai and stayed there three days. 

The two caught on the bus said they were heading for Pattaya. The other two caught in the hotel intended to go to Chiang Mai. 

All have now been fined for illegal entry and are in state quarantine. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-30

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

I just asked a friend if she would return to Chiangmai for the new year. She said no because covid is there or breaking out up there. I wonder is there any news on internal domestic spread of it there yet?

I don't blame her. I know for sure i won't be setting foot in CM any time soon! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I wonder what is the pay like for bar girls in Burma that these women crossed to work in a deadbeat poor covid infested country, what? Bangkok and Pattaya bar scenes not pay good anymore? ...

They were all already 28 years and older. Who wants old women like that in Bangkok and Pattaya?

12 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

No they aren’t.

Guess you have access to a different story than the rest of us, or you know them personally. The story I read above says: "Two of the women aged 28 and 29 were stopped at a checkpoint in Mae Jan at 7pm travelling south to Bangkok on a bus from Mae Sai. The two others - a woman aged 31 and a man aged 28 - were picked up at a hotel in Mae Sai".

Clearly all 28 and above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1