Study ranks New Zealand as best place to ride out COVID-19 - but how does Thailand fare?

webfact

Study ranks New Zealand as best place to ride out COVID-19 - but how does Thailand fare?

static.reuters.jpg

REUTERS file photo for reference only

New Zealand has come out on top in a study into the resilience of each country amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Pacific nation topped the list of 53 nations in the study called ‘Best and Worst Places to Ride Out Covid', conducted by news site Bloomberg.

Japan and Taiwan were ranked in second and third, respectively, followed by South Korea and Finland.

The study said the worst places to be during the pandemic were Mexico, Argentina, Peru, Belgium and Czech Republic.

Despite being regarded as some of the countries best prepared to handle a pandemic, the report said the UK and USA had "repeatedly been overwhelmed by infections and face a return to costly lockdowns".

The study analysed cases, fatality rate, the severity of lockdown, GDP growth forecasts and healthcare coverage, among other metrics.

New Zealand had just two cases per month per 100,000 population, and 5 deaths per million people.

"New Zealanders are basically living in a world without Covid," the study said.

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 11.41.51.png

Japan was praised for its use of 'lightning fast' contact tracing teams who had experience in dealing with an outbreak of tuberculosis in recent years. 

By comparison, many other countries manned their tracing teams with untrained professionals, and the results were often chaotic, the study found. 

Taiwan, which was also noted for its lightning fast response, was praised for locking down its borders in order to keep the virus at bay.

Both New Zealand and Taiwan have gone more than 200 days without a locally transmitted case.

The study revealed some of the lengths South Korea, which ranked 4th, went to when it came to contact tracing. Officials  combed through mobile phone and credit card records, as well as studying thousands of hours of CCTV footage to track down people who had potentially been in contact with others who tested positive for the virus.

The study ranked Thailand 15th overall and found that it has just 1 death per million people and a positive test rate of just 0.2%.

As with many countries, Thailand faces a negative GDP growth of 7.1 per cent for 2020, the same as Canada at 7.1 per cent and similar to Hong Kong at 7.5 per cent.

By comparison, the UK and USA face negative GDP growth of 9.8% and 4.3%, respectively.

The study said “places like Thailand that count on travel and tourism have seen greater blows to their economies”.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-30

Strange ratings on this chart, if you take deaths per million most of the higher rated countries make Thailand’s totals look insignificant.

Before anyone starts with Thailand Government figures are never true ask around to see how many know of COVID deaths, myself I have not heard of any in my area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about North Korea? I think you’ll find that North Korea and China are ranked 1st and 2nd (respectively). That’s according to this Chinese scholar who has US residency. 

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2020/11/26/chinese-scholar-jokingly-claims-4000-covid-19-related-deaths-in-china-equal-to-no-death-at-all-compared-to-220000-deaths-in-us/

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PJPom said:

Strange ratings on this chart, if you take deaths per million most of the higher rated countries make Thailand’s totals look insignificant.

Before anyone starts with Thailand Government figures are never true ask around to see how many know of COVID deaths, myself I have not heard of any in my area.

Easy, just add everything to road deaths, they are at the very top for that. ????

Vietnam beats Thailand easily yet again.   Also heard Apple wants to move to Vietnam.   Thailand better do something about their lack of competitiveness.

China is a good place to ride out the pandemic?  Until there is another one?  ????Bloomberg is in love with China.????

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Because they are not recording them as covid deaths. I read a while ago that there is a big increase in influenza recorded deaths in Thailand plus old people and the sick who die dont get autopsies the same as in the west they are just taken to the temple and burnt and they are Covid bread and butter.

I live in an area where everybody seems to know everybody else and talking to people, not reading reports, nobody has died of Covid that we know. I am not doubting that COVID is around and take precautions as I am in the age bracket for problems if I catch it. We have three mosques and two Wats within a few km and none of them have had any unusual spates of burials or burnings, it is extremely puzzling.

The only person who I know of who died was my Cousin in the UK, she was 84, admitted to Hospital, told that her chances of surviving the necessary operation were extremely poor due to existing heart condition. She elected to go ahead and survived for four days, officially she died of COVID contacted in ICU, nothing mentioned of initial prognosis.

I am definitely not a conspiracy theorist but haven’t a clue how Thailand has escaped mass deaths seeing we hosted so many Chinese before the shutdown.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Because they are not recording them as covid deaths. I read a while ago that there is a big increase in influenza recorded deaths in Thailand plus old people and the sick who die dont get autopsies the same as in the west they are just taken to the temple and burnt and they are Covid bread and butter.

If it were true that covid  deaths are being reported  as  influenza cases then why do the  official statistics  show  a minimal fatality rate for  influenza despite an acknowledged spike in influenza infections early this year?

Also why is there  so much concern and reaction to the  Myanmar/Chiang Rai/ Mai detections if  covid is  rampant in the community?

Many old people in Thailand  who have been suffering long term illness do indeed  die at  home  but the  vast majority have had some degree of hospital stay. Thai Govt. hospitals rarely accommodate long term palliative admissions. They already try to cope with the influx of  people diseased with or  dying of  cancers, diabetic  conditions , coronary issues, etc's of the  whole spectrum of illnesses acquired to ignorance compounded  by sparse education.

If widespread Covid-19 was added the reality of it  would be to evident  too deny !

But while that does not deny the  mystery  of  why it is  not the efforts  to ensure it stays that way is  more important.

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Western Australia is at the top of the list, but they have grouped all of the Australian states together.  That's not realistic as Australia is a continent bigger than Europe !

And China is bigger than Australia.. So your point is????

Statistics are always based on countries no matter small or huge.

Australia's population is tiny, China's population exceeds the total population of whole of Europe and also USA combined.

So any statistics based on country is meaningless.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1

Presently I am riding out covid in Madeira, almost no cases here (while Continental Portugal is as bad as the rest of Europe) - all thanks to the fact that from the beginning Madeira asked for a covid test for all arrivals to the island.

Wine at 1 euro a liter, steak from the Azoras, local fish, friendly people and levada walks make it very bearable.

And the climate? Eternal spring.

• Like 1

Suppose it depends on your view of covid, if you believe it is end of days then relishing in a fascist lock down no doubt brings peace of mind while you enjoy another game of solitaire. If you believe it is basically a nasty flu the then freer the response the better.

Of course while politicians who lock down are popular now, lets see what happens when the true social and economic carnage of these actions come to bear fruit. The hundreds of thousands poor that the UN predicts will die, the suicides and mental problems abounding will unlikely shed a tear from those hiding in basements.

23 hours ago, PJPom said:

Maybe not but I'd love to see the deaths attributed to viral pneumonia.