Pattaya: Yet more delays in wire/cable burying plans

webfact

Pattaya: Yet more delays in wire/cable burying plans

5pm2.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV reported yet more delays to the program to bury cables and wires on Pattaya's roads. 

Mayor Sontaya Khun Pluem chaired the latest meeting at city hall with Provincial Electricity Authority representative Thanu Surachaisikhawit and contractors. 

Phase 1 of the plan began in 2017 but is still far from complete as delay after delay has occurred. 

In Walking Street problems are still ongoing regarding the use of an existing water pipe for the burial of the wires. 

While in north Pattaya only 57 power poles have been removed meaning that 200 more need to go. 

Now there is a further 14 day delay in that part of the project after problems in burying the wires were reported by the telephone authorities at ToT.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-11-30

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

and the birds were having a lovely time nesting in all that spaghetti wiring and just think - we will not be able to see all the fireworks when they go up in smoke as they often do !!  Tourists are going to miss taking photos of that !!

I had noticed in the past that several of the concrete lids TOT had put in the road on Pattaya Klang, were not level with the road, or were cracking already.

It must have attracted their attention as well, and they fixed the issue....................they poured concrete over all of them/

Problem fixed, until they have to enter that manhole.

Edited by Susco

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Err, the water won't be flowing in the same pipe as the electrical wires, IMO.

Um, yes, it will. Or, it would have, if they had of been able to make a deal with a certain gov't ministry.

The pipes they are referring to on (under) Walking Street were part of a drainage system installed in the late 90s, which seemed to be doing the job just fine. Then the city decided (after a long period of no rain) to start digging up the street and were surprised to find "ancient" pipes already there and they had NO idea what they were for !!

They either had no record or no memory of the work that had been done there barely 20 years earlier and because it hadn't rained in a couple weeks, the pipes were dry. The officials saw the (dry) pipes and decided they didn't serve any purpose so they thought "Hey, let's just put all the electrical (and other) cables in those pipes !".

Then they supposedly found out that the pipes were actually owned by - the Ministry of Science and Technology ! (Say what ? How the **** does the "Ministry of Science and Technology" end up owning drainage pipes under a street in Pattaya ?)

That was months ago and the city was supposedly in negotiations with that Ministry to "buy" those pipes (or pay compensation for using them).

Got to love it. It seems Walking Street hasn't had any major flooding issues in ages (that I recall) and the city's plan is to just repurpose the drainage pipes (connected to all those sewer drains all along the street) to hold electrical cables.

So what, they'll just put some covers over the sewer drains and hope no water goes into the drainage pipes with all the electrical cables in them ? And that the next time it rains the waters will miraculously drain away without the need for those pipes - which were put there for the exact reason of draining all that water away.

Note that the original project announced last January included installing larger drainage pipes under Walking Street as well as burying the cables (in separate pipes). The work was supposed to be completed in THREE months.

They didn't even start digging until MAY and then discovered the "ancient" pipes. It has been SIX months since then and nothing has happened. In October it was stated that the "useless" pipes would be dug up and they would go with the original plan, with work to start in November. 

(The delay between May and October was apparently due to the city having to negotiate with the Ministry of Science and Technology for compensation, which apparently they don't have to pay if they just remove the pipes.)

On 12/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, jacko45k said:

Since when have they ever been able to do anything about where water flows in this town?

If that were true, then even if they put dedicated pipes to bury the cables in they would get water in them!

In London they don't put cables in pipes- they just bury them. I've seen them dug up many times.

On 11/30/2020 at 11:02 PM, newnative said:

I've yet to see with this project one street with all the wires buried.  I see some streets where the electric wires are gone but the hundreds of cable wires remain.  All of them need to be buried or why bother.  

I don't remember them saying ALL the wires would be buried- just the electric ones.

Why bother- IMO for the usual reason- follow the money.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 11/30/2020 at 10:02 AM, newnative said:

I've yet to see with this project one street with all the wires buried.  I see some streets where the electric wires are gone but the hundreds of cable wires remain.  All of them need to be buried or why bother.  

The scheme has been completed on Pattaya Klang. No noticable difference to before.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If that were true, then even if they put dedicated pipes to bury the cables in they would get water in them!

In London they don't put cables in pipes- they just bury them. I've seen them dug up many times.

As a young apprentice with BT I had to work with cable gangs. All cables were run in ducts between manholes.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Should they be investing in manhole pumps here?  ????

No. It does no harm for cables to be submerged. They're watertight, or should be. The problem is the joints which should be watertight but that requires a degree of skill in making the joints.

15 minutes ago, polpott said:

No. It does no harm for cables to be submerged. They're watertight, or should be. The problem is the joints which should be watertight but that requires a degree of skill in making the joints.

Thai's are not good at rolling joints.  ????

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, polpott said:

Well, as we are talking about a work done in Pattaya by locals enterprises

i wonder what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1