middle aged westerners

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I and my gf wear a helmet. But not 100% of the time.

I.e. maybe we ride 300m around the block to the coffee shop without helmet.

I don't think that is a BIG problem. Most of us don't act 100% perfect all the time. And it Thailand that is possible - good luck for that.

It's alright if you don't wear a helmet if your destination is just around the neighbourhood.

But one thing that irks me is those big bike riders who rev up their engines once the traffic lights go green zooming at top speed.

Thai people (whether pedestrians or motorcyclists) are known to come out of nowhere and can cause a serious accident.

• Confused 2

Just now, Kwasaki said:

Well maybe that's what you see in a place like Pattaya. 

Here where I am there are Thai big bike riders who are very responsible. 

Already what I really would like to say would get me a holiday. ????

Yes Pattaya has a special ''customers'' base.

However like i said even here in Pattaya the big bikes drivers are not

really the problem, i agree with you most of them, Thais and foreigners, are very responsible

(A big bike is a lot of money and a lot of passion too, nobody in his right mind want to lose 

all of it in a stupid accident)

But as usual there are still few bad apples in the basket, and there are the most noticeable

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uncleP said:

In some countries  riding with a helmet is a choice not a law. Personally I always wear one , although it did not save my Thai GF in 2006 when a small truck ran over her head ????

Nor would a helmet. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Nor would a helmet. 

She was wearing a helmet. it kept her intact but did nor prevent her receiving enough pressure to be instantly fatal. She looked normal apart from a little blood from her ears. They stole her gold also. Interestingly this happened in my first year of living here. Her funeral  was something  else where I had to actually set fire to her and pick through her ashes the next day to collect the pieces of unburned bone which were placed in a family tomb .  In the UK death is very sanitized unlike here.

Edited by uncleP
Fiddlefumbugs
  • Sad 5

53 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I see this in Hua Hin often especially when school lets out. IMO western education is vastly overrated..

Especially for those with an acqired brain injury from no helmet in a collison

59 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Not jealousy I hope?

Not at all.

Over the the many years living in Thailand I have owned 3 proper motorbikes, all 1000cc and above.

The guy obviously is on a budget, the Aerox is a cheap bike, its much cheaper than a PCX.

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

I went to school but I can’t remember motor scooter helmet education. 
Most of the time I see farangs on motorbikes in Khok Kloy/Natai Beach they are not wearing helmets. Most of the Thais don’t bother either. I usually don’t bother either, usually drive a car, only use the bike for small trips up the shop, local market. 

i rode a BMX on roads, over jumps and ramps when I was a kid. It wasn’t a law to wear a helmet then. Never bothered then either. I survived.

Dont always wear a seatbelt either. 

Edited by Natai Beach
  • Like 1