middle aged westerners

SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Why does it bother you?   

The roads are dangerous enough with the Thai riders riding too fast in small sois, I don't want to be in danger by a lunatic foreigner. 

The law in Thailand says you must pay for a child (all costs..hospital etc.) in an accident whether you're at fault or not.

Sadly your lacking knowledge in an area that is critical when living in Thailand

• Like 1

On 11/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

middle aged, bald, westerner riding

I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak... dern bald people... 

I had to laugh as he passed as I thought it was one of the funniest/silliest things I've seen

I think you need to go to a movie or something... try Jim Jefferies on youtube - good for a laugh.

• Thanks 1

We see the Thais not wearing helmets, the Thais have not had the education we westerners have been given, I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

It's got nothing to do with education, westerners are told/forced to wear crash helmets, if you don't you will be fined and have points added to your licence...win enough points and your licence will be taken away.

Many moons ago when I was leaning to ride there were no crash helmets (for motor bikes or bicycles) and I fell off both on regular occasions with no serious harm done (as did just about everybody I knew)...may I suggest that you go back to the nanny state from whence you came and whine about the conditions there...the audience there will be so much more appreciative 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Deli said:

I am one of them. Mind your own business.

Best you stay clear of me when you are on a family outing. 

Why ride erratically on a noisy scooter at speed in a small soi, you're a grown man, not a teenager. 
Having you're family riding pillion you should be riding safely, be a responsible person. 
This behaviour is childish,grow up

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Helmet or no helmet is not a guarantee of saving your life in an accident.

You could get your body crushed which would still kill you.

A good parent will always put a helmet on a child.
A good parent would never ride dangerously with a child on board. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

It's got nothing to do with education, westerners are told/forced to wear crash helmets, if you don't you will be fined and have points added to your licence...win enough points and your licence will be taken away.

Many moons ago when I was leaning to ride there were no crash helmets (for motor bikes or bicycles) and I fell off both on regular occasions with no serious harm done (as did just about everybody I knew)...may I suggest that you go back to the nanny state from whence you came and whine about the conditions there...the audience there will be so much more appreciative 

Perhaps you did not sustain any head injuries, however many millions around the world now live Acquired Brain Injury , both mild or severe, which a helmet may have mitigated or prevented .

Spend a week working with ABI clients and you have a different insight 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neilly said:

may I suggest that you go back to the nanny state from whence you came and whine about the conditions there...the audience there will be so much more appreciative 

Well - anyone who does not take advantage of the life saving benefits of wearing a helmet is in need of a 'Nanny State"

If it is only you who is at risk, then do what you want.

But why should the Government, and rescue services, and hospitals, etc etc etc be required to deal with your injuries, pay for your rehab ?

Maybe make a T-shirt saying "I am exercising my right to not wear a helmet. If I am in an accident, leave me on the side of the road. My Choice"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:45 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was riding my PCX down soi buakhao the other day, stuck behind a slow-moving baht bus, as I waited slowly riding I heard one of those annoying loud scooters behind so I passed the baht bus swiftly pulling over to the left to allow the Thai rider to pass. To my amazement, it was middle aged, bald, westerner riding his blinged-up Aerox with his family (wife and child) onboard, none wearing a helmet...... you'd reckon he'd be riding in a safe manner with his family as pillion. I had to laugh as he passed as I thought it was one of the funniest/silliest things I've seen for quite some time.
Seriously, this was not a funny sight, why is it that there seems to be so many middle-aged western guys not wearing helmets, sadly many elderly/geriatric men are also not wearing helmets. 
We see the Thais not wearing helmets, the Thais have not had the education we westerners have been given, I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

Maybe been in Thailand that long he thinks he is a local, i would say he would have clocked up some fines over time if he is always doing this

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Well - anyone who does not take advantage of the life saving benefits of wearing a helmet is in need of a 'Nanny State"

If it is only you who is at risk, then do what you want.

But why should the Government, and rescue services, and hospitals, etc etc etc be required to deal with your injuries, pay for your rehab ?

Maybe make a T-shirt saying "I am exercising my right to not wear a helmet. If I am in an accident, leave me on the side of the road. My Choice"

The hospitals etc etc etc you talk of love all the foriegner accidents, great for business.

How does it affect the government?

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 9:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I and my gf wear a helmet. But not 100% of the time.

I.e. maybe we ride 300m around the block to the coffee shop without helmet.

I don't think that is a BIG problem. Most of us don't act 100% perfect all the time. And it Thailand that is possible - good luck for that.

In LOS there is no "safe" time to not wear a helmet. While stationary I was driven into by a Thai not looking where he was going. Had I not been wearing a helmet I'd be dead, judging by how smashed up my helmet was.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Having a bash at older people are we, well plenty of young westerners here, who drive around without helmets driving worse than Thais, coz they think they are better.FILE191216-133211F_Moment_Moment.jpg.a6a16dac0ed7ec9c8580eb4ca6ea35fc.jpg

I can only speak for Brits but these days they have to take a very stringent set of tests before they can get a licence for a big bike. The older ones may have taken a less stringent test but still far more stringent than any Thai and are likely to have many years of experience riding according to the rules of the road.

26 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Having a bash at older people are we, well plenty of young westerners here, who drive around without helmets driving worse than Thais, coz they think they are better.

Last time I went to Phangan ( Had Rin ) it was full of YOUNG westerners driving m'bikes that IMO had never ridden a m'bike before. Pretty dumb because even if they had travel insurance it doesn't normally cover people riding m'bikes without a licence. Most that I saw were not wearing helmets. In places like Pattaya they often did because of the police checkpoints for farangs.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Last time I went to Phangan ( Had Rin ) it was full of YOUNG westerners driving m'bikes that had obviously never ridden a m'bike before. Pretty dumb because even if they had travel insurance it doesn't normally cover people riding m'bikes without a licence. Most that I saw were not wearing helmets. In places like Pattaya they often did because of the police checkpoints for farangs.

Did you check their licences? or are you making another of your wild assumptions?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

Maybe been in Thailand that long he thinks he is a local, i would say he would have clocked up some fines over time if he is always doing this

During all my time in Thailand I never saw a middle aged farang with a Thai family on board riding without a helmet- even if it was just to avoid being fined. The farangs without helmets were young tourists that probably didn't even have a licence.

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Or manners/social skills, many elderly European westerners in Pattaya are just ignorant peasants. 

That applied equally IMO to many young western tourists that frequented places such as Had Rin and Khao San Rd.

In Pattaya it was young western thugs in such establishments as The Dog's <deleted> bar. ( the deleted refers to a dog's dangly bits ).

• Like 2