middle aged westerners

SAFETY FIRST

On 11/30/2020 at 2:54 PM, mr mr said:

momma says life's like a box of chocolates. 

Is it melting in the tropics? Personally I think the vast majority of these people , farang driving without helmet, suffer from a brain dehydration.....

:cheesy:????:cheesy:???????????? 

On 11/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, Lacessit said:

I've found it seems to be mainly Americans that don't wear helmets, they regard it as an infringement on their personal freedom.

I can still remember when wearing seatbelts became compulsory in Australia, and I visited America about a year afterwards. Every American I met then was incredulous such a law could exist in a democracy.

I guess that's why the same insistence on personal liberty has had such tragic consequences during a pandemic.

Copying " Easy Rider" 55555555

On 11/30/2020 at 3:44 PM, uncleP said:

She was wearing a helmet. it kept her intact but did nor prevent her receiving enough pressure to be instantly fatal. She looked normal apart from a little blood from her ears. They stole her gold also. Interestingly this happened in my first year of living here. Her funeral  was something  else where I had to actually set fire to her and pick through her ashes the next day to collect the pieces of unburned bone which were placed in a family tomb .  In the UK death is very sanitized unlike here.

What can be more sanitizing and purifying than fire??????  

• Sad 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I.e. maybe we ride 300m around the block to the coffee shop without helmet.

I don't think that is a BIG problem.

Always like your postings OneMoreFarang.  But this is the epitome of laziness I see with so many Thais and Foreigners.  300m on a internal combustion vehicle to go to a coffee shop? As a boomer, I just find this crazy after polluting our atmosphere for over 45 years.  I walk or ride a bicycle. Someday want an EV scooter for picking up ladies in person, as paying 200+ baht (both ways) for them to come see me by motocy taxi is overpriced IMO. 

I just have no need to get anywhere fast anymore.  

Soi Buakow is totally accessible by songthaew, and should be shut to all traffic other than food and beverage delivery.  if you need to get somewhere take Sai 3

Prove me wrong  anybody?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Always like your postings OneMoreFarang.  But this is the epitome of laziness I see with so many Thais and Foreigners.  300m on a internal combustion vehicle to go to a coffee shop? As a boomer, I just find this crazy after polluting our atmosphere for over 45 years.  I walk or ride a bicycle. Someday want an EV scooter for picking up ladies in person, as paying 200+ baht (both ways) for them to come see me by motocy taxi is overpriced IMO. 

Soi Buakow is totally accessible by songthaew, and should be shut to all traffic other than food and beverage delivery.  if you need to get somewhere take Sai 3

Prove me wrong  anybody?

Thanks, in principle you are right. And sometime I actually walk to that place.

But sometimes I am lazy and take the bike... ???? 

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Prove me wrong  anybody?

How about you just like... get a life?

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you, or any other of the posters here, ever ride on a motorcycle without helmet?

And how about riding on a bicycle? Isn't that dangerous as well?

One of the reasons why I like Thailand is that most people don't take every rule 100% serious like that is the case in other countries. Live and let live. And if someone lives a little dangerous and risks his own health live: Up to him.

Fully understand

But why then do we have people moaning if the Thai constabulary adopt the same approach?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Fully understand

But why then do we have people moaning if the Thai constabulary adopt the same approach?

Yes, we have those moaning people.

I only moan that the police don't care about all the people who try to drive while they play with their so called smart phones.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

A good parent will always put a helmet on a child.
A good parent would never ride dangerously with a child on board. 

Thailand is full of dangerous drivers, so not sure what you are commenting on?

• Thanks 1

What business is it of yours?  Really?  It's nothing other than your desire to control someone else's life then yours.

Work on your own life.  You want to wear a helmet.  Wear a helmet.  Good for you. Smart man.
If you don't. Don't. It's not your decision.  Nor your consequences.

Get over yourself.  It's not about you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2020 at 12:08 PM, NCC1701A said:

give him a break. I am sure he wore a helmet when he first got here. 

but now he has be assimilated by the Borg and has lost his will to fight. 

I'm just sick to the back teeth of westerners who insist on applying their own moral/social/safety standards to life in an utterly different country. 

If people want to 'go native' what business is it of these nosey prigs? 

Maybe some people are happy to be rid of the 'nanny state' they escaped from and are enjoying a little rebellion? 

Headshakers and fingerwaggers mske me want to puke, seriously. Yes, I still wear my car seat belt. But my choice, no one has the right to judge me either way. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, polpott said:

I guess you must be right. I would never ride a bike without a helmet but rarely wear a seat belt. Personal choices. One of the things that make Thailand an enjoyable place to live. I'm happy to sit in a bar chatting to some guy with a ladyboy on his knee. My mates don't have a problem with me going upstairs with 2 girls even though they don't do it themselves.

Thailand just isn't the place to sit in judgment on others.

Amen, brother. Just do what you want to do and let others do the same. Life is short, make it sweet. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Speedhump said:

How about MYOB? Is it your life? Do you have no real concerns? 

Like I said, It becomes my business when an illegal modified scooter rides dangerously close at speed on the roads that I travel on.

I reckon people who want to act in this way/poor behavior on public roads get a proper motorbike, go to the track without your family as pillion and make as much noise, riding recklessly. 

I'm fed up with some of the Thais and their unsafe road manner. I would like to travel on the public roads safely, we don't need foreigner's that haven't grown up using public roads that we travel on. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, It becomes my business when an illegal modified scooter rides dangerously close at speed on the roads that I travel on.

I reckon people who want to act in this way/poor behavior on public roads get a proper motorbike, go to the track without your family as pillion and make as much noise, riding recklessly. 

I'm fed up with some of the Thais and their unsafe road manner. I would like to travel on the public roads safely, we don't need foreigner's that haven't grown up using public roads that we travel on. 

Sounds like thailands not for you if you can't get used to things like this.

If you can't beat them......

28 minutes ago, polpott said:

Not mentioned in your OP  the emphasis of which was farangs riding without helmets. I take it that, now you shy away from the original topic, you realise, after having read the replies, how ridiculous your topic sounds.

25 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

hahahahahaha.

so its all AOK if the scoot rides dangerously close but is not modified !!!

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Sounds like thailands not for you if you can't get used to things like this.

If you can't beat them......

You guys are too clever. Postings such as the OP started are what makes TVF........TVF.

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

No, that wasn't 'like you said' at all. 

You were beatching about him not wearing a helmet and you know it. 

Stop trying to move the goalposts, your own goal stands because everyone is calling you out as a censorious killjoy. 

Now, think about it and try to get a life. Live and let die (if that's what the biker wants). 

1 hour ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Good luck with that.

And ... "we travel on" ???

AFAIK it is you who are raising the issue, not "we"