middle aged westerners

On 11/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

Seriously, this was not a funny sight, why is it that there seems to be so many middle-aged western guys not wearing helmets, sadly many elderly/geriatric men are also not wearing helmets. 
We see the Thais not wearing helmets, the Thais have not had the education we westerners have been given, I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

Simple:

what is the point of a helmet on a block-head.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was riding my PCX down soi buakhao the other day, stuck behind a slow-moving baht bus, as I waited slowly riding I heard one of those annoying loud scooters behind so I passed the baht bus swiftly p

I see this in Hua Hin often especially when school lets out. IMO western education is vastly overrated..

Most of the time I and my gf wear a helmet. But not 100% of the time. I.e. maybe we ride 300m around the block to the coffee shop without helmet. I don't think that is a BIG problem. Most of

Posted Images

On 11/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, kingofthemountain said:

You are probably right, some of the westerners here in Pattaya

are obviously without any decent education

Or manners/social skills, many elderly European westerners in Pattaya are just ignorant peasants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, KKr said:

what is the point of a helmet on a block-head.

Bigger brained block-eds often acquire.. black and orange cars, premature ejaculation drivers their soft-top's got roll-bars 😋😋  (Ian Dury and the Blockheads)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One of the reasons why I like Thailand is that most people don't take every rule 100% serious like that is the case in other countries. Live and let live. And if someone lives a little dangerous and risks his own health live: Up to him.

I do many dangerous things - riding a bike is inherently so ...

But a reasonable man would mitigate the risk as much as he can, to ensure that when - not IF - something goes wrong he is liable to suffer the least harm possible.

At the end of the day - do what you want. I do

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was riding my PCX down soi buakhao the other day, stuck behind a slow-moving baht bus, as I waited slowly riding I heard one of those annoying loud scooters behind so I passed the baht bus swiftly pulling over to the left to allow the Thai rider to pass. To my amazement, it was middle aged, bald, westerner riding his blinged-up Aerox with his family (wife and child) onboard, none wearing a helmet...... you'd reckon he'd be riding in a safe manner with his family as pillion. I had to laugh as he passed as I thought it was one of the funniest/silliest things I've seen for quite some time.
Seriously, this was not a funny sight, why is it that there seems to be so many middle-aged western guys not wearing helmets, sadly many elderly/geriatric men are also not wearing helmets. 
We see the Thais not wearing helmets, the Thais have not had the education we westerners have been given, I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

Why does it bother you?   

• Like 1

I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

Wrong assumption, it’s because there’s nothing inside the head to protect.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2020 at 7:45 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was riding my PCX down soi buakhao the other day, stuck behind a slow-moving baht bus, as I waited slowly riding I heard one of those annoying loud scooters behind so I passed the baht bus swiftly pulling over to the left to allow the Thai rider to pass. To my amazement, it was middle aged, bald, westerner riding his blinged-up Aerox with his family (wife and child) onboard, none wearing a helmet...... you'd reckon he'd be riding in a safe manner with his family as pillion. I had to laugh as he passed as I thought it was one of the funniest/silliest things I've seen for quite some time.

Without continuous and consistent enforcement, all the driving education in the world will not help.

• Like 1
On 11/30/2020 at 3:27 PM, uncleP said:

In some countries  riding with a helmet is a choice not a law. Personally I always wear one , although it did not save my Thai GF in 2006 when a small truck ran over her head 😞

What happened to your gf? Was she riding the bike alone at that time?

Unfortunately after they have been here a while many foreigners seem to “go native” as far as the rules of the road are concerned. This applies to motorcyclists, and motor vehicle drivers. Comes down to spotty enforcement in my view.

• Like 2