middle aged westerners

SAFETY FIRST

26 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Join them in an ABI ward or crematorium 

Up to the individual. The reality is that, unlike the breach of most rules of the road, breach of the helmet law poses no danger to other road users, in fact it may lessen the risks to others.

Riding with a decent helmet invariably reduces your field of vision and ability to hear other traffic, both of which could contribute to an accident involving another vehicle. Also, if a rider isn't wearing a helmet, it invariably makes him more aware of his own vulnerabilty, causing them to ride more carefully.

So, rather than berating riders who don't wear helmets, thank them for risking their lives to make the roads that little bit safer for you to use. Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, polpott said:

Up to the individual. The reality is that, unlike the breach of most rules of the road, breach of the helmet law poses no danger to other road users, in fact it may lessen the risks to others.

Riding with a decent helmet invariably reduces your field of vision and ability to hear other traffic, both of which could contribute to an accident involving another vehicle. Also, if a rider isn't wearing a helmet, it invariably makes him more aware of his own vulnerabilty, causing them to ride more carefully.

So, rather than berating riders who don't wear helmets, thank them for risking their lives to make the roads that little bit safer for you to use. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Not berating them.

As said in a an earlier post I subscribe to Dignity of Risk in ageing and the right for competent persons to make their own decisions, even bad ones

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

ABI?

TBI

[Traumatic Brain Injury]

wherever  papa worked.

['merca].

TBI is subset of ABI,

like in bike accident.

ABI could be secondary to toxin,

anoxia, &c.

Edited by papa al

On 11/30/2020 at 2:45 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was riding my PCX down soi buakhao the other day, stuck behind a slow-moving baht bus, as I waited slowly riding I heard one of those annoying loud scooters behind so I passed the baht bus swiftly pulling over to the left to allow the Thai rider to pass. To my amazement, it was middle aged, bald, westerner riding his blinged-up Aerox with his family (wife and child) onboard, none wearing a helmet...... you'd reckon he'd be riding in a safe manner with his family as pillion. I had to laugh as he passed as I thought it was one of the funniest/silliest things I've seen for quite some time.
Seriously, this was not a funny sight, why is it that there seems to be so many middle-aged western guys not wearing helmets, sadly many elderly/geriatric men are also not wearing helmets. 
We see the Thais not wearing helmets, the Thais have not had the education we westerners have been given, I can only assume all of those westerners not wearing helmets have no education. 

Many in the US refuse to wear a " brain bucket" as well.

I was convinced as a teen riding back to work after passing my MC driver's test on lunch break; I had an accident which split my Bell Toptex (very good helmet) from front to rear against a tree.

The State of CT. in later years asked me to teach rider safety, I assume because I was a ten year survivor.????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, connda said:

What business is it of yours?  Really?  It's nothing other than your desire to control someone else's life then yours.

Work on your own life.  You want to wear a helmet.  Wear a helmet.  Good for you. Smart man.
If you don't. Don't. It's not your decision.  Nor your consequences.

Get over yourself.  It's not about you. 

It is about me when my tax money is used to treat some fool for whatever remains of their life after scrambling their brains because they refuse to wear a helmet because of "muh rahts"!

Motorcyclists are responsible for 70-80% of road fatalities in Thailand. Little info about how many wore no helmets.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I had an accident which split my Bell Toptex (very good helmet) from front to rear

Same here - when dinosaurs roamed the earth and helmets were made of fibreglass.

Both sides pushing against my neck when I tried to stand up - fell over - looked down and asked myself "How is my knee bending in that direction !!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

TBI

[Traumatic Brain Injury]

wherever  papa worked.

['merca].

TBI is subset of ABI,

like in bike accident.

ABI could be secondary to toxin,

anoxia, &c.

Or catastrophic brain injury caused by brain being shaken in the skull through traffic accident or hitting hard surface ( road or pavement)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, polpott said:

It saves my money too, so thank you

it's the reason why i never give even 1 cent to one of the multiples gofundme

when these ''rebels'' have an accident with no helmet. no insurance and so on

and they suddenly discover they are short on money for hospital care.

Their choice, their freedom, my money, my choice

good luck to all of you and take care

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 7:13 PM, exemplary21 said:

70 million Americans voted for Donald Trump. Just what does that say about your "western education"?

Trying not to go off topic here, but in my adult lifetime how many working class people in the UK voted Labour, and really believe

they are the party of the working class. Now lets get back on topic.

48 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

That explains why I started at about 10 years old. My mid life crisis.

Sad ...

I started at 17 but gave it up when I grew up.

I know people who did the same but started again when they could no longer satisfy a woman.

Edited by polpott
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Sort of sad if you ride the baht bus everywhere.

I get places by big bus, train, walking and bicycling also.  No worries, I feel am in good company and have many friends who do not risk their lives driving on the roads here.  The need for speed is something I had to let go of, just a personal choice. 

• Like 1